Thread: Grease or no grease?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Leyland in darkest Lancashire. HERE BE DRAGONS

Article

There was a thread on here and I've been trying, unsuccessfully, to find it. It carried a link to an article written by a chappie who had tried his best, with several guns, to cause a chainfire and had been unsuccessful.

His research (valid or not, I don't know) led him to the conclusion that chain fires are not caused by flashover at the front of the cylinder but by loose fitting or missing caps at the rear.

If you think about it, the act of ramming the correct size of ball into the cylinder swages it to an interference fit anyway and it would take a very, very tiny spark to get past the lead seal.

I think that Tac may be the most experienced of us on this subject, perhaps he would give us his opinion if he reads this.
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch

Hi

The only article I found with 'tests' was the one I posted the link to in Post #2 above

Cheers

Roy

Leyland in darkest Lancashire. HERE BE DRAGONS

Now you know

Quote Originally Posted by harricook View Post
    Hi

The only article I found with 'tests' was the one I posted the link to in Post #2 above

Cheers

Roy
    Now you know why I can't hit anything Roy, I'm as blind as a bladdy bat. I totally missed the link but that's the one.
    Last edited by lilguy43uk; 10-09-2009 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Missed summat
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch