Thread: Haenel Help

Haenel Help

Hi Guys
    Anyone know how to strip a Haenel 28-R pistol or where to find said information?

All suggestions gratefully received.
    lodmoor
    Always ready to buy another Webley pistol and another and . . . .

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    I don't know where you can find chapter and verse on this, but I have dismantled a couple of these in my time, and it's pretty straightforward and there are no unpleasant surprises. It is very similar to the Haenel 28 single shot. As I recall, you unscrew the magazine tube and cylinder end cap, remove grip plates, disengage cocking lever, slide out the piston in the usual way. As the barrel and cylinder are one unit all you are then left with is to is remove the vertically sliding breech plate by removing the relevant screws. As long as you make a note of what you do as you go along, you will have no problem reassembling it in the reverse order.

The main problem with these pistols, like most repeaters, is jamming. It is fatal to use waisted pellets, as the breech plate at best chops them in half, or at worst jams tight. Freeing up a jammed breech plate is tedious. Even lead ball can be unpredictable unless you get just the right consistent size.

Wheh it comes to loading, remember to put the round shot into the cylinder first and then carefully push home the spring loaded shot tube over these until it can be screwed in place. Any attempt to load the shot tube first and then fit it into the pistol will keep you occupied for many an interesting hour and turn the air blue.

Thanx ccdjg, any funny thread directions or are they all right hand?
    lodmoor

I've got a very basic parts diagram of the 28, not the 28R if it's any use? It's the same one as in the WHB Smith book but with the key in German also. It's in the E G Dieter book on post-WW2 Haenels. Probably not much help I guess.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    No, all the threads are right hand. Good luck!

Thanx garvin, I have the Smith book, thanx again ccdjg I will have a go this weekend.
    lodmoor