Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: webley victor

webley victor

hi peeps, just bought a victor today and was wondering what info you guys could pass my way?
    serial number is 015636
    stock is in very good condition and the action has rust spots but nothing too serious.
    only bought this because i'd thought it would make a suitable rifle for my youngest, nice and light and seem to pack quite a punch.
    a little bit puzzled by the breech end of the barrel, i've never seen a loading port like it before, looks like a piece off a candle stick. lol
    front and rear sights are missing so if anybody has got any laying about they want to get rid of let me know.
    atvb
    dean

I'd put this in the collector's section.

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

cheers gus.
    if there's a mod about who could put this in the collectors section please it would be greatly appreciated
    atvb dean

The Victor is a very nice rifle. I have one and also a Mk1 Vulcan ... they are mechanically identical except that the Vulcan has a safety catch. The later Vulcans have a longer barrel, but as far as I can see the mechanics are the same.

Fairly easy to strip if you have stripped springers before. Only key point to watch is releasing the cocking lever. Do not remove the pin that the breech pivots on ... look carefully and you will see that it also holds the breech lock up mechanism in place. This is a bit difficult to refit due to the detent spring pressure. So release the cocking lever at the pin that pivots the lever.

Not sure if a .177 Victor will gain the legal limit but I reckon it should get to a fair 10 ft lb or so.

Cheers, phil

thanks for that phil.
    forgot to mention it's in a 22 calibre.
    atvb
    dean

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by big bad bear1 View Post

cheers gus.
    if there's a mod about who could put this in the collectors section please it would be greatly appreciated
    atvb dean
    ... Yep, done and done . Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

many thanks gareth

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

Webley Victor

Sorry to hijack the thread but it saves a new one. When were the Victors made from and to? As Ive never liked Webley safety catches the gun seems a good idea. Was it just a marketing ploy to call it the Victor rather than Vulcan?

from what i've found out the victors were first produced about 1981 ish and the the victor has a shorter barrel than the vulcan.
    please feel free to correct me if i'm wrong
    atvb dean

from what i've found out the victors were first produced about 1981 ish and the the victor has a shorter barrel than the vulcan.
    please feel free to correct me if i'm wrong
    atvb dean
    Your dates would fit with my experience as I bought my Victor about that time. The Victor had the same length barrel as the MK1 Vulcan, later Vulcans had a barrel about 2 inches longer. The Victor has no safety nor a trigger adjustment but the mechanics are identical to the Vulcan otherwise.
    My Victor served me well until I bought a HW77K. I still have it and give it an 'airing' at times.
    Cheers, Phil

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

Webley Victor

Sounds like Im going to have to get one of them at some point! They must have come out about the time I stopped playing with airguns. Are they more or less common than the Vulcans and what sort of value are they. Been on the site about 18 months now and only just become aware of this gun. heard the name but thought they were a later gun. When did they stop making them?Thanks

bumpski, come on chaps somebody must know the ins and outs of this rifle
    atvb
    dean

bumpski, come on chaps somebody must know the ins and outs of this rifle
    atvb
    dean
    What exactly do you want to know?
    My Victor (177) has a 17.25" barrel. My Vulcan Mk1 has a 17.25" barrel. The Vulcan has a safety catch on the side of the trigger block and a trigger adjustment screw on top of the trigger block. The Victor does not have these. The Vulcan Mk1 stock is longer than the Victor ... about an inch.The Vulcan MK2 has a 19.25" barrel. Front and rear sights are identical for all models.

I have stripped both rifles and as far as I can see the mechanics are the same in all versions apart from the points above. A Vulcan Mk1 and the Victor side by side in a gun rack look the same ... same cylinder length etc., especially as I have added a spacer to my Victor to increase the stock length. I believe the Chambers site shows a Vulcan exploded diagram for the Victor.

Shooting the Victor is what you would expect ... trigger is not remarkable as it is non adjustable and quite heavy. But with experience the let off is predictable. When new, my Victor was quite a 'boinger' but a relube quietened it down somewhat, although as it is unsilenced, it still possesses quite a crack on firing.

Velocity on my Victor is down at about 670 fps but it is the original 28 year old (?) spring. My Vulcan MK1 (177) is at about 780 fps. Both with JSB Exact. I am sure a new spring in my Victor would restore it to the Vulcan level.

Any other questions and I will do my best to answer.

Cheers, Phil

PS I still have my Victor Manual and inspection certificate that came with the rifle.
    Last edited by Phil Russell; 14-09-2009 at 04:23 PM. Reason: typo

thanks phil, very informative.
    how easy are these rifles to strip?
    and what sort of grouping should i expect at about 25 yards?
    atvb
    dean
    p.s any idea what the value would be bearing in mind that the front and rear sights are missing but the rest is in pretty good condition.

Quite easy to strip .. bear with me and I will put some details up, most likely tomorrow in the sticky started by gggr.
    As for grouping ... well I guess that depends on you and the pellets, but be aware that the heavy trigger does not help. I was knocking down 40mm kill zones pretty regularly at 30 yards with a 4x 30/30 scope fitted. But I would not use the rifle for HFT as it is just not good enough compared to more modern springers.
    Cheers, Phil.