Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Binner's Air Cane For Sale

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire

Binner's Air Cane For Sale

Binners is having a week away from the BBS (), but as he is keen to generate interest in an air cane that he has to sell (cane in Q as detailed here: http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=397427 ), while he is away, and in an unprecedented move, that I will not repeat, I have posted this thread to help.

He is looking for £1,250 for this cane. I suggest that any interested parties post below and/or p-m him accordingly, in readiness for his triumphant return next Thursday evening. Links to photos of the cane in Q are also now attached below, for your further consideration etc (I know, I know, I’m all heart ). Atb: G.
    Last edited by Gareth W-B; 11-09-2009 at 03:27 PM. Reason: to ad lifted photo links.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Gareth W-B, as an avid 'member/reader' of the B.B.S, I respect, as most do, our sponsor’s decree (I assume you are acting in our sponsors’ best interests as a moderator) that (your words and I quote)

‘When a valuation thread is posted, it must be treated as that, and nothing more. Once an owner of an item has a sound valuation figure, if they then wish to sell, they must start a fresh sales thread, in either the main sales section, or if a collectable, in this collectors section, or with my blessing (if it is a collectable), in both’

Past indiscretions have resulted in a weeks ban. Can you explain why, in this case, things seem to be different?

Quote Originally Posted by jrw1 View Post
    Gareth W-B, as an avid 'member/reader' of the B.B.S, I respect, as most do, our sponsor’s decree (I assume you are acting in our sponsors’ best interests as a moderator) that (your words and I quote)

‘When a valuation thread is posted, it must be treated as that, and nothing more. Once an owner of an item has a sound valuation figure, if they then wish to sell, they must start a fresh sales thread, in either the main sales section, or if a collectable, in this collectors section, or with my blessing (if it is a collectable), in both’

Past indiscretions have resulted in a weeks ban. Can you explain why, in this case, things seem to be different?
    No, Binners has been banned for a week. No leniency there. Only thing that's different here is that one of his mates (ie. Gareth) has posted a copy of the existing parallel thread in the for sale section on his behalf. As I understand it, the punishment stands.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

No difference. Even though Binners (aka Pete) is a good friend of mine, as Garvin has pointed out above (cheers Danny), he has had no leniency quartered, and has been given a weeks ban. What makes you think he hasn't? The word Banned under his user name is a bit of a give-away .

The above post was posted as a friend, not as a BBS mod, and contravenes no BBS rules, and could quite easily have been posted by any of Peter's friends on his behalf, as for that matter, similarly, could a notification thread advising of any item due to be offered for sale, by any short-term absent member, should one of their friends be happy to do so.

This doesn't make a mockery of the rules however, as (a) the potential seller still has to wait until their time in the wilderness has been spent before they can reply and negotiate, and (b) it stops potential BBS buyers from potentially missing out on an item that they may otherwise be interested in.

Was actually hard enough banning a mate for a week anyway, but I did, which Peter and I have since spoken about by phone, and he understands and empathises with my position, but to reiterate, this thread has been posted as a friend, not as a forum mod, is within acceptable parameters, and the stating of the same, should I hope, bring this particular topic to an end.

Gareth W-B.
    Last edited by Gareth W-B; 13-09-2009 at 11:38 AM. Reason: house keeping.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Returning again to jrw1's post on the recommendation of many who have p-m'd me today, I must admit that unless it is down to a bad command of the English language, upon a second read, it is possible to detect a hostile attitude here, which if a correct assumption, is wholly uncalled for, unjustified, unwelcome, and unacceptable. For instance ...

Gareth W-B, as an avid 'member/reader' of the B.B.S, I respect, as most do, our sponsor’s decree (I assume you are acting in our sponsors’ best interests as a moderator)
    Firstly, what a rude way to start a p-m which is clearly addressed to an individual (this tells me much). You assume correctly however, but what has it got to do with you anyway ???

We mods put in many hours (many many more hours than you will ever know), to ensure the smooth running of this forum, with the total confidence and support of Ed @ JSR, and if you don’t like the way we run it, you always have the option not to visit.

We have already established in my post as above that your initial grounds for posting and complaining are wholly incorrect, unfounded, and wrong (which a little light reading by yourself would have established in the first instance), so I won’t return to that area, but will instead skip straight to your closing line …

Would it really have killed you to operate within the parameters of acceptable politeness, and include the word ‘please’ before the word can ??? Thought not. Lastly, in the future, before climbing on your high horse and charging off like an ill-informed bull in a china shop, it may be prudent to first establish that your facts are correct ... .

Gareth W-B,

May I start my reply with an apology? On reflection my post does seem a trifle contrite, and it certainly was not my intention to appear aggressive or cast aspersions on your character or your work ethic on the BBS.

I have always enjoyed your contributions, anecdotes and points of view on the forum, so much so in fact that your fondness for a certain Webley Omega recently made me part with the best part of £200 for a one. (I was not disappointed)

Anyway, my question (not a complaint) was one from a point of clarity, as I would hazard a guess, that perhaps, I was not the only member a little confused.

Binners received a week ban, possibly harshly in my own opinion. He tried to correct his indiscretion by trying to delete the opening threads, not an act of defiance but, as he stated, a way of keeping the photo attachments on the thread (posted on his behalf by another member?). I thought this was because he was unsure of posting attachments’ and then the advert appeared for his item posted by another member, circumventing the ban?

As the moderator for this section you may have no choice in banning him for a week as clearly stated in the stickies. As you have said, none of my business, but all my question intended to do, and I concede I failed, was to, perhaps, provoke a little bit of a healthy debate, and maybe, by discussion, to allow the moderators’ to be able to sometimes, show a little discretion instead of using the full force of the rules.

It’s a shame after your initial response, and Garvin’s (which helped to clarify things a little) that you felt the need to become defensive and dismissive and for that I am sorry.

Jason

Hi Jason,

That is a very gentlemanly, concise and thoughtful reply, the posting of which has in my mind, earned you much respect, and I thank you. Your apology for seeming a little contrite is also graciously accepted (and appreciated), and I in turn apologise for the seemingly over defensive post I placed following my second reading of your first ...

I do understand your concerns however, and believe it or not, if Peter (Binners) wasn't a friend, it is highly likely that I would have only issued a three day ban, but felt I couldn't, for fear of cries of favouritism ... Am glad you enjoy my periodic rambles however, and am similarly delighted that I may have been instrumental in inspiring you to own an Omega.

Am very pleased we have both had a chance to satisfactorily conclude this debate, and I genuinely hope you continue to enjoy this our shared BBS, as despite the odd spat (), this is a truly great cyber space for kindred spirit air gunners to congregate (especially here in collectors corner).

Yours: Gareth.

Binners received a week ban, possibly harshly in my own opinion. He tried to correct his indiscretion by trying to delete the opening threads, not an act of defiance but, as he stated, a way of keeping the photo attachments on the thread ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    I do understand your concerns however, and believe it or not, if Peter (Binners) wasn't a friend, it is highly likely that I would have only issued a three day ban, but felt I couldn't, for fear of cries of favouritism ...
    Okay, now that the dust has settled, I have been a-thinking. Three days here is ample, as there were mitigating circumstances (albeit clumsy ones ), so although it may seem like favouritism to a friend (honest, it isn't), I am lifting Peter's ban as of tonight, along with the bans of two other members currently on holiday for similar indiscretions, so as to keep things fair, which just leaves me to say ...

Welcome back Binners old bean.

snipperuk Guest
    I do like a happy ending

Quote Originally Posted by snipperuk View Post

I do like a happy ending
    ... Me too

Well there's lovely, hand bags put away and hugs 'n' kisses all round
    And all because Binners hasn't learnt how to post piccies on his threads yet.
    Gareth you should know that Pete, an elderly chap ho can't tie his own laces, can only get access to the computer in short bursts when matron is on her rounds!
    I'm sending him a copy of 'Thread Posting for Dummies' for Xmas......

Paul.
    TX200 collector, ex - BFTO member and vintage BSA rifle anorak!
    Get yourself something useful.....
    HERE!

It's awfully civilized in here isn't it.
    I'll have to visit more often (I have an excuse now as well )

Quote Originally Posted by mowerman View Post

Well there's lovely, hand bags put away and hugs 'n' kisses all round ... And all because Binners hasn't learnt how to post piccies on his threads yet ... Gareth you should know that Pete, an elderly chap who can't tie his own laces, can only get access to the computer in short bursts when matron is on her rounds!
    ... Thassss made me chortle into me cider a tad -- bubbles everywhere and ...

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeG View Post

It's awfully civilized in here isn't it. ... I'll have to visit more often (I have an excuse now as well )
    ... You bought a collectable ... Splendid, welcome, and congratulations What ya buy ???

Sam Vimes is offline Vanquished a Weihrauch evangelist with a gasram
    Now ban everyone on the thread for interfering with a sales thread!
    I know that I'll have to be included too but I could do with a break myself. Besides, I've not been banned yet and I'm starting to feel all left out.
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

Hi Chris, can't matey, as my zap button is bust, and Baz won't let me play wiv his ... Besides, this isn't a sales thread, but a formal 'notification' of a sales thread, thread . Ha ha. Oh, and love the white writing by the way, maybe next time . Atb: G.