Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap and Tasty

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

Cheap and Tasty

Many years ago in AGW there was an article called "cheap and tasty". I think the bloke improved 3 rifles. Im pretty sure one was a Relum but cannot remember the others. I think he fitted a meteor spring and made a guide out of some shower tube or similar. If anyone can put it up on here if its not illegal be interested. If someone can send me a photocopy that would be great. Thanks
    Ive asked this before as well BUT ---about the same time I read about panther doing an HW35 copy----does anyone know anything about it or who actually made it? I think panther was just an import name for over here and the pistols were made in Italy.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    The article had a Webley Hawk (can't remember which one, probably a Mk 2), a BSA Meteor (think it was a Mk 1) and the other may have been a Relum Telly or similar break-barrel. I know that the Relum Tornado can be imporved by junking the inner mainspring, fitting a Meteor mainspring and a floating spring guide made of steel tubing.

Brema, which is an Italian company, made a copy of the Original/Diana 35 (not the Weihrauch), but it's trigger mechanism was far less sophisticated and the reviewer thought it a rather crude air-rifle. Interestingly, one of the few Indian air-rifles was also a copy of the Original/Diana 35.

You can still buy the 'Panther' air-pistols, I think the company's name is IGI and they were called the RO71 and RO72.

hi, there was an article about a year ago in one of the airgun mags about restoring/improving a tornado.meteor spring and hw 95 piston seal he fitted with an adapter were main mods.didnt work for me as my my bore was too big for the seal!cheers greasemonkey

Yes i think it was our own BTDT who did these articles. Wish i still had them.

Quote Originally Posted by fat man View Post
    Yes i think it was our own BTDT who did these articles. Wish i still had them.
    It was me who wrote both articles. The first was a Relum, probably a Tornado, which was much improved after fitting a Meteor mainspring with a free floating spring guide. The only material I had to hand to make the guide was a length of chromed tube from a shower rail.

If anyone has a scan, I'd quite like to see it as well.

I think I've got the copy of AGW it was in; I'll have a look and can post a photo copy to gggr and btdt if you PM your addresses.

By the way BTDT, I seem to recall you did an article where you put a 1.5X15 pistol scope on a rifle, possibly a Webly Hawk? Great idea, then Webley came up with the telescan?! I ran a Crosman rabbit stopper witha 2X20 forward mounted pistol scope for a while, a sort of 'scout rifle' set up - worked pretty well!

Sorry if that was off post!

Can I have acopy 2 please.

Quote Originally Posted by crosmanman View Post
    By the way BTDT, I seem to recall you did an article where you put a 1.5X15 pistol scope on a rifle, possibly a Webly Hawk? Great idea, then Webley came up with the telescan?! I ran a Crosman rabbit stopper witha 2X20 forward mounted pistol scope for a while, a sort of 'scout rifle' set up - worked pretty well!

Sorry if that was off post!
    That was the first article I ever wrote. The rifle was a Webley Hawk Mk.3 and, after the article had been published, the company claimed they'd thought of it first, and the Telescan appeared some time later.

For close range work with the low power Hawk, it worked well.

maybe u should have patented that idea Jim!

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Why Webley didn't put a bolt through the breech of the Vulcan (their 'comeback' rifle) I cannot imagine. Instead they steal BTDT's idea - a compromise solution - and claim it as their own! Am I suprised they folded? No.

relum spring guide

hi, i tuned a relum many years ago whilst at school with help from the old metalwork teacher (this would be unheard of now) i took in the air tube and he turned up a one piece guide integral with the tube rear cap, it measured approx 4" long and was a push fit into the back of the cylinder, relum original end caps are quite a sloppy fit resulting in pivoting on the holding pin which wares away the pin holes, the result was good i know he used a stub axle from a car to make the one piece guide but cant remember which one.

Sam Vimes is offline Vanquished a Weihrauch evangelist with a gasram
    Any idiot can improve a Relum. All you need is a hacksaw and a bit of time.
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

Sam, thats naughty!, all guns however bad are worthy of collecting in someones eyes, even relums!

Quote Originally Posted by crosmanman View Post
    I think I've got the copy of AGW it was in; I'll have a look and can post a photo copy to gggr and btdt if you PM your addresses.
    Just to say a 'thank you' to Matt (crosmanman) for taking the trouble to scan and send the article, which I haven't seen for a quarter of a century.

The rifles were a Mk.1 Meteor, a Mk.3 Webley Hawk and a Relum Tele. The spring guide tube fitted to the Tele was a length of 12mm chromed shower curtain rail, and I also fitted a guide to the Hawk, fastening it to the stub on the back block.

I turn spring guides from Delrin these days. Got to move with the times.

a length of 12mm chromed shower curtain rail,

I turn spring guides from Delrin these days. Got to move with the times.

I guess your missus also wanted the shower curtain re fixing too after 25 years