Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cheap and Tasty

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

Thank you Crosmanman

My copy was waiting when I got in this afternoon. I found it interesting what was being said about not needing all the power. Did we ever think Hawks, Ospreys etc were low powered guns? Now everything seems to be very close to the legal limit.

Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    My copy was waiting when I got in this afternoon. I found it interesting what was being said about not needing all the power. Did we ever think Hawks, Ospreys etc were low powered guns? Now everything seems to be very close to the legal limit.
    Webley's advertisements claimed 650 fps for the .177" and 550 fps for the .22 Hawk (approx. 7.5 and 9.4 ft. lbs. respectively), and I reckon those figures were probably about right.

Not having 11.999 ft. lbs. wasn't then seen by many as an issue, because few had any means of testing their guns.

Operating without any decent restraint - Nottm
    Quote Originally Posted by BTDT View Post
    Just to say a 'thank you' to Matt (crosmanman) for taking the trouble to scan and send the article, which I haven't seen for a quarter of a century.
    You gonna share it then?
    1st Battalion Humberside Cavalier Rescue Deserters on the cut

Quote Originally Posted by Neil. View Post
    You gonna share it then?
    On its way.

Operating without any decent restraint - Nottm
    On its way.
    Oh. I feel terrible now. I shouldnt have doubted you. A real gent. Its just that Phut has put so much poison down against you.
    1st Battalion Humberside Cavalier Rescue Deserters on the cut

Sorry to re-hijack

Sorry to re-hijack this thread----but on the subject of guides, what sort of fit should they be in the mainspring? Also what other materials have people used? I see delrin and would assume nylon and ptfe, maybe brass?
    Anyone remember that story of the bloke who shot a cobra with his Webley mk3?

Sorry to re-hijack this thread----but on the subject of guides, what sort of fit should they be in the mainspring? Also what other materials have people used? I see delrin and would assume nylon and ptfe, maybe brass?
    Anyone remember that story of the bloke who shot a cobra with his Webley mk3?
    I try to get the guide so that the mainspring lightly grips it when the spring is at rest, which cuts spring resonance. As the mainspring is compressed, its diameter increases slightly, so there's no friction against the guide until the end of the stroke.

Delrin is good, as is the similar Acetal, but forget PTFE, it's completely the wrong material because it 'creeps' - changes shape under pressure - that makes it useless for spring guides and, in my opinion, questionable for piston buttons.

Brass would be OK, but would not be as good as Delrin at dampening resonance.

Guides

Thanks for that. I was wondering if anybody else has used something similar to the shower tube or come across something that they have adapted or is easily available from a plumbers/diy shop? I enjoyed the original article and what you said about power.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil. View Post
    Oh. I feel terrible now. I shouldnt have doubted you. A real gent. Its just that Phut has put so much poison down against you.
    Please dont decry my efforts.

ATB
    Ian (Flat capped, whippet breeding, tripe eating, banjo playing .... yada, yada, yada, ....)
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Thanks for that. I was wondering if anybody else has used something similar to the shower tube or come across something that they have adapted or is easily available from a plumbers/diy shop? I enjoyed the original article and what you said about power.
    The problem would be finding a tube or rod in the right size. You can buy 12mm Delrin rod (£1.02 for 500mm), cut it to length and round the ends to make a 'floating' spring guide. It'll be marginally better than no spring guide at all in helping stop the spring adopting an 'S' shape as it's compressed, but that's all - no dampening of resonance.

Ideally, the guide needs to be exactly the same size as the uncompressed spring internal diameter. I tried a guide that was 0.2mm too small for a BSA Meteor spring in the Haenel 302, and found that the compressed mainspring had gone out of line enough for me to be able to hear the cocking lever shoe lightly dragging over the coils as I closed the rifle. A corectly sized guide cured that.

Hi Jim

Just wondered if you still have the Venom tuned HW50 as shown in Airgun World (HaWHii 50) ?

My other well thumbed article of yours is the write up on the Worcester Black Powder HW80 in SAR.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Hi Jim

Just wondered if you still have the Venom tuned HW50 as shown in Airgun World (HaWHii 50) ?

My other well thumbed article of yours is the write up on the Worcester Black Powder HW80 in SAR.

All the best Mick
    Still got the HW50, Mick. Action by Venom, stock by John Bowkett and engraving by Don Blocksidge.

The WBP air rifles were the work of David Jenkins, a toolmaker - and the work was hence to a very high standard.

Hi Would it be possible to have a copy of this article please. My next door neighbour just gave me an old Relum and an Original mod 25d in need of a bit of tlc

Many thanks

Chris

Still got the HW50, Mick. Action by Venom, stock by John Bowkett and engraving by Don Blocksidge.

The WBP air rifles were the work of David Jenkins, a toolmaker - and the work was hence to a very high standard.
    Now they would be a BLAST FROM THE PAST Jim ?

All the best Mick