Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Airsporter S valuation

Airsporter S valuation

Hello,

Could anyone give me an idea of what my Airsporter S is worth? Its in .22, includes the original sights, and in good condition (fires well, no scratches on the metal, a few minor scratches on the stock). Its serial number is GP05323.

Picture here: http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/a...b/IMG_0372.jpg

Much appreciated!

Kev.

Quote Originally Posted by kstainsb View Post
    Hello,

Could anyone give me an idea of what my Airsporter S is worth? Its in .22, includes the original sights, and in good condition (fires well, no scratches on the metal, a few minor scratches on the stock). Its serial number is GP05323.

Picture here: http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/a...b/IMG_0372.jpg

Much appreciated!

Kev.
    Looks nice - I would think maybe £200?
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Thanks for the quick reply Paul. I will be putting this up for sale shortly in the second hand section.

Cheers,

Kevin.

Personally, I.M.O. I would have said nearer £225 and if boxed £250. The sights on the 'S' variants are unique to the 'S' variants and, while the normal run of the mill BSA open sights are becoming scarce the metal 'S' types are like rocking horse droppings. Hence the price raise.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Personally, I.M.O. I would have said nearer £225 and if boxed £250. The sights on the 'S' variants are unique to the 'S' variants and, while the normal run of the mill BSA open sights are becoming scarce the metal 'S' types are like rocking horse droppings. Hence the price raise.

ATB
    Ian
    If anyone knows, its Ian so I'd take his advice if I were you. You can always drop the price a bit if there are no takers.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

I'd agree with I.J. Got to be around £250 in fine fettle. These rifles are getting hard to find and hence popular.

Kind regards,
    John

Thanks for all of the quick replies - I've put the rifle up for sale in the sales section now: http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=398278

Cheers,

Kevin.

Sorry to butt in but it isn't an Airsporter S that I know of. It is probably one of the last Airsporters to be made and probably worth every bit of £250.

The stock looks similar to a Mercury that I had trouble in selling some time ago. It looked like a Challenger but wasn't. However, the wood and checkering was superbly done though probably beech. The mount rail isn't typical and looks more like that found on a Challenger. So I am completely mystified.

In the mid 80's I think BSA was all over the place not quite knowing what to do and not making money. I think that there might have been a short run of better than before Airsporters and Mercuries before the Challenger and then the Goldstar era. Or something produced for another market.

This to my mind makes these rifles valuable and for those BSA collectors who have boo hooed recent rifles (80's onwards) they are missing out big time on those little nuances that make collecting interesting.

Someone with more knowledge than I might be able to put this all straight.

Again this rifle looks in lovely condition and worth every penny. For that price you couldn't buy anything modern for half the price.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    The diameter of the barrel will denote if it is an 'S' or not, as will if the open sights are metal or plastic, along with the presence of flutes on the breech area where the barrel connects to the action -- traits all of an Airsporter 'S' . Hope this helps. Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    Sorry to butt in but it isn't an Airsporter S that I know of. It is probably one of the last Airsporters to be made and probably worth every bit of £250.

The stock looks similar to a Mercury that I had trouble in selling some time ago. It looked like a Challenger but wasn't. However, the wood and checkering was superbly done though probably beech. The mount rail isn't typical and looks more like that found on a Challenger. So I am completely mystified.

In the mid 80's I think BSA was all over the place not quite knowing what to do and not making money. I think that there might have been a short run of better than before Airsporters and Mercuries before the Challenger and then the Goldstar era. Or something produced for another market.

This to my mind makes these rifles valuable and for those BSA collectors who have boo hooed recent rifles (80's onwards) they are missing out big time on those little nuances that make collecting interesting.

Someone with more knowledge than I might be able to put this all straight.

Again this rifle looks in lovely condition and worth every penny. For that price you couldn't buy anything modern for half the price.
    The last airsporters to be made had a rotating breech didn't they?
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.

hi

i thought all the stypes had walnut stocks??? looks beech doesnt it???

Not all the latest S models had walnut stocks, and the model I have has the williams rearsight mounted on the dampa scope mount not the normal BSA rear sight. Mine also has the old style gas tap and a beech stock along with chequering on the fore end.

Hi folks and thanks for all the info and coments. I've had this gun from new, and it definitely is the S version - thicker barrel, different design around the loading tap. I agree the stock doesn't look particularly like its walnut, but it is, just a bit dark! In fact me and my dad bought one each, and he's still got his in the original box with all the extra bits like the oil bottle, targets etc etc. But I think he's set on hanging on to that.

Lovely gun the Airsporter - very elegant design, but I just got a PCP gun so need the money to keep the wife at bay!!

Cheers,

Kev.

S Type.

Hi Lads, did not really wont to get involved, but i think the two marks of the airsporter s models had walnut stocks, and checkering to pistol grip and forend. I thought by looking at this airsporter that it looked like a later model and not an S type. The first stutzens, had the fluted action so did the models after, if i am wrong then i appologise, and the scope rail is wrong for an S type, As i have said this was fitted to later marks, Cheers tim.

The serial number is that of an Airsporter S Mark II 1985-86. The stock looks like that fitted to the Airsporter Mark VII 1983-86. THe Walnut S stocks that I have seen fitted to Mk I and Mk II S models all had chequering to the fore-end as well as the pistol grip. The MK VII model had only chequering to the pistol grip.
    atb
    dogsbody