Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Airsporter S valuation

The gun is long sold now lads, so this discussion is of academic interest only.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Academic interest will do for me. There is a lot to the history of the Airsporter. Right too the end. Anyone want to give the number of variations? (I don't have the answer).

Personally I think the Mercury 'S' was better than the Airsporter 'S'.

Did I mention I have a Mercury 'S' for sale in the relevant section?
    (Never miss an opportunity).

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post

Academic interest will do for me. There is a lot to the history of the Airsporter. Right too the end. Anyone want to give the number of variations? (I don't have the answer).
    Could ask Paddy_SP and/or serowman, as they have between them, one of almost every conceivable factory spec Airsporter variant imaginable (row upon row upon row upon row of the things ). Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Personally I think the Mercury 'S' was better than the Airsporter 'S'.

Did I mention I have a Mercury 'S' for sale in the relevant section?
    (Never miss an opportunity).

ATB
    Ian
    The Mercury 'S' (with the slightly more rounded stock, not the early slabby one) is the best springer BSA made IMO.

I think the Superstar is the best, but that is another story.

Any break barrel that shots straight, and not all do, is better than a lever job. BSA Airsporter and Mercury's do point brilliantly and aren't heavy lumps. So long as you keep your range within limits they do their job very well indeed. Squirrel, sitting pigeons, rats and rabbits are all fine within farm yard range; just don't try and compete on paper targets and no amount of magnification is going to extend the practical range any further.

So, practical range of an Air-Sporter? What M/E is available from one in fine fettle?

Appreciate any thoughts.

Rgds

Mod
    For professional guided Deer & Wild Boar Stalking, practical stalking intro's & Deer related training, DSC1 & 2 preparation & witnessing, Field Rifle coaching
    Go to www.farringtonds.com - or call me on Tel: 07798 771 062

I think the Superstar is the best, but that is another story.

Any break barrel that shots straight, and not all do, is better than a lever job. BSA Airsporter and Mercury's do point brilliantly and aren't heavy lumps. So long as you keep your range within limits they do their job very well indeed. Squirrel, sitting pigeons, rats and rabbits are all fine within farm yard range; just don't try and compete on paper targets and no amount of magnification is going to extend the practical range any further.
    Why do you think that?
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod View Post

So, practical range of an Air-Sporter? What M/E is available from one in fine fettle?

Appreciate any thoughts.
    Hmmmm... Many won't like this, but here goes. Don't care what exaggerated figures others may post on this, but with the exception of the MkI, MkII and the last of the Airsporter range, the 1990s RB-2 variants (which can each muster 1/2" groups at 35 yards and run at an average of 11ft.lb), all from the MkIII to the MkVII (be they 'S' class or not), can at best only muster 1" groups at 35 yards, and achieve (again at best) 10.5ft.lb, in standard trim.

Therefore, the practical range of an Airsporter for hunting can only responsibly be considered to be 30 yards max for a MkIII through to MkVII, and 40 yards max for a MkI, MkII and RB-2, and only then scoped, which does rule out the MkI. Anything claimed other than this is at best blatant exaggeration, and at worst horrendously irresponsible.

Oh, and forget suping up an Airsporter, as yes, you may be able to get one to sing close to the 12ft.lb mark, but at the cost of further impaired accuracy, as increasing the power makes Airsporters incredibly jerky and jumpy, and all in all, makes them truly horrible things to shoot (especially in .177). There ya go, that'll get the hate mail flowing . Truth is truth however, everything else is fiction. Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

You won't get any grief from me G W-B.

I was thinking tap loader underlevers. Break barrels are on the whole faster in the field.

Farm yard ranges are generally no more than 25m and often quite a bit less. Its were air rifles excel and they really don't need field target big optics. The trouble is farm yards are getting too clean, bigger and rather empty.

You won't get any grief from me G W-B.

I was thinking tap loader underlevers. Break barrels are on the whole faster in the field.

Farm yard ranges are generally no more than 25m and often quite a bit less. Its were air rifles excel and they really don't need field target big optics. The trouble is farm yards are getting too clean, bigger and rather empty.
    Its a shame we don't live closer to each other. I'd challenge you to a speed shooting contest at 25 m - you with your break barrel and me with my Mk11 (auto tap) Airsporter. I'd be happy to lay a few beers on the outcome!
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.

I've been there before. My Sergiant beat me with a No4 doing rapid and I had an SLR (I was at lest trying to hit the target).. Also I was beaten by a friend with a Mosberg pump and I was shooting a Benelli auto. So I'm sure you can.

Just a heads up - my dad's Airsporter S is coming up for sale soon. Its basically the same as mine (pics below). But this one is in its original box, including all bits. I'll be selling it for him, since he can't join the AirgunBBS and his old login seems to have stopped working.

its serial no is gp05325, and its in .22. immaculate as you can see. again, its an Airsporter 'S' with walnut stock, mk II my dad says.

could anyone give me an idea of what its worth?

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/a...b/IMG_0399.jpg
    http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/a...b/IMG_0400.jpg
    http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/a...b/IMG_0401.jpg
    http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/a...b/IMG_0402.jpg
    http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/a...b/IMG_0403.jpg

cheers,

kev.

In THAT condition - minimum of £250. I would start at £300 and see if anyone would be interested.

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

thanks for that Ian,