Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black powder

Black powder

I was looking at some black powder guns and shootin on YouTube and I was quite tacken with this Remington new army s/s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3rj89cqQQ8

I no that they say that black powder is bad for the guns and clogs them up etc. So why is it that you just cannot use standerd smokles cartrige powder if it is to powerfall then is there not something cleaner that one could use of course it would be baned in this country like everything is but but I do like the idea of it and you could shoot indoors without having a jigantic extractor fan above you.

davederrick is offline With our thoughts, we make the world
    I've got one of those, never swapped cylinders. Might give it a go sometime. Pyrodex is a bit kinder, but you really need to clean it after 6 to 12 shots.

Even cleaner is triple 7.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

Leyland in darkest Lancashire. HERE BE DRAGONS

Grin

Quote Originally Posted by beagle2 View Post
    I was looking at some black powder guns and shootin on YouTube and I was quite tacken with this Remington new army s/s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3rj89cqQQ8

I no that they say that black powder is bad for the guns and clogs them up etc. So why is it that you just cannot use standerd smokles cartrige powder if it is to powerfall then is there not something cleaner that one could use of course it would be baned in this country like everything is but but I do like the idea of it and you could shoot indoors without having a jigantic extractor fan above you.
    Because the grin factor with black powder (for all its faults) is totally off the scale.

You walk off the range with hand that look as if you've been sorting lumps of coal, the smell of burnt powder permeating your clothes and the biggest smile ever, on your face.
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch

There is a big difference between BP proof and Nitro proof. I do shoot sub-sonics in BP proof shotguns but modern propellants are usually considered a bad idea in muzzle loaders. Occasionally people get the cans muddled up and there are hideous accidents on the pistol ranges when the iron starts to fly. If you want a second opinion, take aim and then say, "Let's see how this smokeless works". The screams and sounds of people diving for cover will give you a clue

Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by robinghewitt View Post
    There is a big difference between BP proof and Nitro proof. I do shoot sub-sonics in BP proof shotguns but modern propellants are usually considered a bad idea in muzzle loaders. Occasionally people get the cans muddled up and there are hideous accidents on the pistol ranges when the iron starts to fly. If you want a second opinion, take aim and then say, "Let's see how this smokeless works". The screams and sounds of people diving for cover will give you a clue
    Exactly as per my recent post when somebody loaded a BP pistol with Alliant's Reloader 7.

The result was bits of metal completely puncturing the sidescreens on either side of the shooter and one minor injury. Very, very lucky.
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch

Thanks for all of your replies it would seem that black powder is the safest way to shoot this type of gun then. That is a shame as it would seem to limit it to outside shooting not much fun in the winter when its cold and wet.

Oh no it doesn't

Thanks for all of your replies it would seem that black powder is the safest way to shoot this type of gun then. That is a shame as it would seem to limit it to outside shooting not much fun in the winter when its cold and wet.
    I shoot mine at an indoor range with no problems (apart from a thick fog after a few rounds )

The extractors soon clear it though.

The Bosun's Watch

Quote Originally Posted by lilguy43uk View Post
    I shoot mine at an indoor range with no problems (apart from a thick fog after a few rounds )

The extractors soon clear it though.
    Yes but I bet that there are not meny indoor ranges that will let shoot B/P.

Another question I see in the US they make an adapter so that you can shoot cartridges in black powder revolvers but they say ( cowboy cartridges only ) so I presume they would be black powder cartridges would they.

davederrick is offline With our thoughts, we make the world
    Would not be legal here, as it would no longer be a muzzle loader.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Yes but I bet that there are not meny indoor ranges that will let shoot B/P.

Another question I see in the US they make an adapter so that you can shoot cartridges in black powder revolvers but they say ( cowboy cartridges only ) so I presume they would be black powder cartridges would they.
    The manufacturers of same recommend either black powder cartridges OR low-powered smokeless, such as the Cowboy Action target loads.

I have one such revolver: never fired it, but plan to this weekend (using low-powered smokeless).

Wish me luck! If you never hear from again, you'll know it doesn't work!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    The manufacturers of same recommend either black powder cartridges OR low-powered smokeless, such as the Cowboy Action target loads.

I have one such revolver: never fired it, but plan to this weekend (using low-powered smokeless).

Jim
    I use Trail Boss powder for reduced rifle loads to conform with range limitations. I believe that this powder was developed for Cowboy Action loads.

The Bosun's Watch

Jim
    Hi Jim do not forget to tell us how you get on if we do not hear frome you we will asume that the gun exploded and you have passed on.

Pat

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Hi Jim do not forget to tell us how you get on if we do not hear frome you we will asume that the gun exploded and you have passed on.

Pat
    I'll be sure to post something: assuming I'm able!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Leftie

I'll be sure to post something: assuming I'm able!

Jim
    You'll still have your left hand.

The Bosun's Watch