Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Black powder

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    I'm left handed.

Maybe I should fire the first few rounds right handed only.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

I didn't blow the gun up

Shot about a dozen rounds of low-pressure nitro (Cowboy Action) commercial loads through it. No apparent damage at first: but THEN, the revolver developed a dangerous tendency for the hammer to slip forward from full cock, without any pull on the trigger!

I honestly DON'T think this had anything to do with the smokeless loads. I bought the pistol second-hand from someone who competed with it, and I think some part is worn and needs replacement.

But in any case: it's going to the gunsmith before it goes to the range again!

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Still at least you are still in one peace that was a bit naughty of the guy selling you a dangerous gun you could have killed someone if it just went off on its own like that the guy must have nown that it was duff when he sold it to you I would have thought.

Pat

I'm not sure, Beagle. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. I don't know the guy personally: I bought if from him via Gunbroker.com. But, he did say that he was a long-time percussion shooter and that this was his competition pistol: that he was giving up competition becuse his eyes were no longer good enough with the primitive sights.

Someone, you'd THINK I just described someone who was familiar with the mechanical features and problems, or possible problems.

Hmmm....

One thing's for sure: with guns, you just never know! ALWAYS be careful. And then, be MORE careful!

Jim