Thread: vintage air guns in auction

vintage air guns in auction

Heads up if anyones interested ? just looked at a forth coming auction
    and saw 3 vintage air guns. The auction house is in Bristol, and the Web
    site is www.dnfa.com/bristol.
    The auction is live on the 22/9/09
    Good luck

Lot 83

Just followed online with lot 83 with the first batch Lincoln Jefferies and another light pattern thrown in. Felt like I was in the room

It went with internet bid £420 on the hammer so + 20% sale room commission and 15% VAT in total about £600. went for a bit more that the £60-80 guide price! Wonder how much this threads heads up had to do with it? Caddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
    Just followed online with lot 83 with the first batch Lincoln Jefferies and another light pattern thrown in. Felt like I was in the room

It went with internet bid £420 on the hammer so + 20% sale room commission and 15% VAT in total about £600. went for a bit more that the £60-80 guide price! Wonder how much this threads heads up had to do with it? Caddy.
    The VAT is only on the premium so it's about £516 in total I think Caddy. Still quite a high price but for two rifles not extortionate.
    Last edited by Garvin; 22-09-2009 at 01:04 PM.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

my mistake

My mistake.

However, I did read the auction conditions of the sale here http://www.dnfa.com/bristol/auctions.asp?view=condsale
    and point 4. does say extra 20% which is also subject to VAT and if you read on another 3% if bid online! Point 5. being the VAT is added at current rate of 15%.

I think it is all these costs plus the delivery charges that you can find your self paying quite a lot for things from auction.

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
    My mistake.
    I think it is all these costs plus the delivery charges that you can find your self paying quite a lot for things from auction.
    Too true, Caddy. It's easy to get carried away with the excitement of bidding. Hopefully though, the fact that this lot went for such a high price means it went to a private individual rather than a dealer.
    There are sometimes bargains to be had, but as far as guns are concerned it's definately a case of caveat emptor. Ask me how I know.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Went and looked at them yesterday. The LJ tap was knackered and didnt seal and the gun was pretty rough, The std pattern that was thrown in was not too bad but on the opposite side of the stock which could not be seen in the catalogue photo there was rebated an hideous engraved brass plate about 3"x2" carrying the legend "BE CAREFULL TO AIM AND AIM TO BE CAREFULL" (the spelling mistake is not accidental) Yuk..Rebated too deep to sand out. I left bids on the lot and the Light pattern sold before it, Of course unsuccesful. Lesson.... all that glitters is not gold and dont buy on the internet without seeing the goods or getting a condition report.
    Cheers all
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by banjodag View Post
    Went and looked at them yesterday. The LJ tap was knackered and didnt seal and the gun was pretty rough, The std pattern that was thrown in was not too bad but on the opposite side of the stock which could not be seen in the catalogue photo there was rebated an hideous engraved brass plate about 3"x2" carrying the legend "BE CAREFULL TO AIM AND AIM TO BE CAREFULL" (the spelling mistake is not accidental) Yuk..Rebated too deep to sand out. I left bids on the lot and the Light pattern sold before it, Of course unsuccesful. Lesson.... all that glitters is not gold and dont buy on the internet without seeing the goods or getting a condition report.
    Cheers all
    Mark
    Well in that case the price was waaaaaaaay too high. I agree with the warnings about online auction buying, though some auctions put better descriptions than others. I've yet to see one post up detailed pics that cover every aspect of the goods either. Maybe if they did they'd get more people bidding.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Wat speling mistacke....

I cnat ermember !

Should have used a spool-chucker first!

edbear2 Guest
    ...I bid just over 100 for the light model, as was interested in the sight protector, and with the added charges thought that was fair for its condition.........as has been said on here before on a thread, It's easy to keep thinking "Oh, it's only another tenner" and before you know it you are paying more than you would from a dealer......However, in the right place at the right time, bargains can be had........normally when the guns pop up in local house clearance type sales and are amongst furniture etc....as soon as there are several guns, or a militaria section, in my experience, this attracts the higher bids.......I have paid the princely sum of 70 beer tokens for a CS and 39 inch D together at a small sale, but this was just luck on my behalf....Its always worth scanning your local papers, or better still, visit and make your interests known to your local auctioneers and ask them to put you on their mailing list, or to contact you if any air weapons pop up.....they are invariably helpful in my experience as it is their interest to move items through the sales, and once they know you are serious, may even as happened once with me, give me a heads up on a gun they saw whilst visiting a property to value unrelated items.......( a nice L.J., but the guy was giving it to his son ) like anything else, It's all about getting out there and putting yourself about......It has become a joke at my works /local as I try and steer the conversation around to old guns whenever I can........but have had a couple of results from delivery drivers (a cuppa always helps) and other subbies I have had contact with....both buying and selling......

Me and the Wife went to the said auction, and started the bidding,may have run them up a bit, but they went for alot of money and they were not the best of condition. Picked up a nice MK2 service on the way home though.