Thread: help me spend some cash

sol1821 is offline I'm back from resting, and I have the Jaffacakes!!

Question help me spend some cash

I'm looking for a multi shot pistol for knocking tins at 20 meters.
    something relatively inexpensive with good open sites.
    any suggestions??
    cheers
    Particle physics gives me a hadron.
    Sliced bread.
    The best thing since ripped up bread.

How about a Umarex 10 shot S&W pistol or the 8 shot CP88,
    both fine user friendly pistols.

Good luck, Phil

The Umarex Beretta 92 is also worth a look, they regularly feature in the sales section here at reasonable prices, it's where I got mine
    Jef
    AKA Porthos, a Piskateer of Renown.
    I am a pistaholic, and proud of it

I'd go with the above, with the proviso that you get the 6" barrel Smith or CP88 competition, also with 6" barrel. Reason being they give a little bit extra power which comes in handy for 20m tins.

Also consider a Rohm Twinmaster Trainer or Action, also CO2 powered and very accurate with a little bit more power again than the above.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

thanks for the advice guys, ill have to have a think and then look out on the sales section for one.
    cheers.
    Sliced bread.

Hi Sol, if you do get your self a pistol have a look and the Umarex Boys Club we run monthly competitions all on-line, and shot at only 6 yrds. it's free to join just send me an email to membership@umarexboysclub.co.uk

Happy Shooting

Jason
    Fancy shooting your air pistols & rifles a bit more, then guy's & gal's come visit us at the
    UBC for loads of fun competitions for all types of air pistols and rifles.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    I second Phil and Adam about the 6" Smith, and Cookie about joining our club and comps.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Just got myself a cp88 comp from the sales section so i should have that within the next 1-2 weeks
    Got a few questions i might as well ask on this thread saves starting a new one.

First off where’s the best place to get co2 nowadays? I’ve had a look on the forum and the sponsors site and there non branded one seems good until you add it to the basket and the shipping gets added, is it worth making a trip to a shop??

Next one is about a silencer. I’ve had a look on the forum about silencers for the cp88 but they are all quite old. Anything new to be said about it. Does the specific welther silencer not make any difference??

and last if all, the cp88 I’ve got is coming with the adjustable sights, if I’m shooting at 6,10,15,20 yards is it best to zero at 20 and then just remember how much lower i have to aim at the other distances? Just thinking it would be easier to aim below a target than above as you can still keep it in view??

This will be my first co2 pistol so I’m a bit of a nuube at the moment.
    And i don’t have the zeroing problem with my scoped hw40.

:edit: oh yer and what info should the email contain when i send it about the club??

thanks again.
    Last edited by sol1821; 24-09-2009 at 10:23 AM.
    Sliced bread.

About JSR, unfortunately there is no shop to make a trip to, they are mail-order only. The best way is to buy in bulk.

As to the sights, well you just have to zero at the range you shoot most. It's not practical to re-zero all the time.

You are correct that aiming under the target is easier, and that is the way most paper target shooting is done: lining the sights up underneath the black circular target centre. However because of the amount of hold-under for a "sub 6 o'clock hold" at 6 yds, I reckon the pistol would not shoot point of aim again until around 25yds. In other words it would shoot very high at the intermediate ranges. If you want to shoot at lots of ranges you will have to find a compromise that suits you.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by Adam77K View Post
    About JSR, unfortunately there is no shop to make a trip to, they are mail-order only. The best way is to buy in bulk.

As to the sights, well you just have to zero at the range you shoot most. It's not practical to re-zero all the time.

You are correct that aiming under the target is easier, and that is the way most paper target shooting is done: lining the sights up underneath the black circular target centre. However because of the amount of hold-under for a "sub 6 o'clock hold" at 6 yds, I reckon the pistol would not shoot point of aim again until around 25yds. In other words it would shoot very high at the intermediate ranges. If you want to shoot at lots of ranges you will have to find a compromise that suits you.
    thanks for the reply, ill just have to have a play around then and see what works best.

and i ment just like a general shooting shop when i said about visiting a shop, i havnt ever looked at co2 in them though so dont know what the going rate is.
    Sliced bread.

Ratgunner

Gas can be a pricey item, the cheapest I got recently from our Sponsors,

100 JSR 12gram Co2 cartridges 29.95

100 Crosman as above but includes Lube 46 quid (No Contest)

Also 5,000 Dynamit Nobel Geco flathead pellets 22.95 (2.30 per 500)

8 quid postage delivered next day

Cheap gas is fine but I use a Crosman cartridge every tenth cartridge as it has built in lube,

some say it gums up the works but have used it for years and had no trouble with any gun

Your call at the end of the day,

Stock up with consumables as once you pick it up they are hard to put down,
    ATB, Bernard.
    Last edited by ratgunner; 27-09-2009 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Bad Speling