Thread: Collection complete

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

Collection complete

I think I have got all the air-rifles I want to collect now. There are some duplicates so the collection might even start shrinking!

Oh no ... there is the BSA Merlin!

Always one more isn't there?

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post

... Always.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Being an 80's geek there are mint and shooters. Two of each and then there is one with lovely wood and another with Venum and another with

If I want one example of BSA Airsporter should I keep the boxed Centenary .177 example or the mint .177 "S"?

As I don't like .22's should I have any? Mint FWB 127 Sport to keep as I shoot two 124's? I definitely want a mint Omega .177 rather than the .22 I have.

Thankfully, I have downscaled my collection to 20... ooops 21, as I bought a Omega .22 shooter the other day Oh yes, the need for a mint Original 45 .177 so my non mint one can be used more.

And then don't get me on scopes

I think I have got all the air-rifles I want to collect now. There are some duplicates so the collection might even start shrinking!

What sort of money do Merlin's go for these days ?

I have a Mk2 .22 (1962 I Think ) somewhere that I have not fired in ages

As someone familiar with the reigning monarchs of their day, underlever-wise, why concern yourself with a kid's rifle that even the man who marketed it said failed due to "various design faults"?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    As someone familiar with the reigning monarchs of their day, underlever-wise, why concern yourself with a kid's rifle that even the man who marketed it said failed due to "various design faults"?
    Because, as usually happens with stuff that's crap or doesn't sell well, they become rare, and rarity is one of the factors that contributes towards something's collectability.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    Because, as usually happens with stuff that's crap or doesn't sell well, they become rare, and rarity is one of the factors that contributes towards something's collectability.
    That's a good answer but in this particular case I have a feeling it might not apply.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

That's a good answer but in this particular case I have a feeling it might not apply.
    Like the Merlin or not, they are collectable. If you've got one that works, in good condition they can fetch a fair price. The fact that most of them broke or just plain didn't sell just makes them rarer.
    Personally I'd love to have one, just to satisfy my curiosity.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    ... Hi Harry, please trust me when I say your curiosity would be extremely disappointed ... . Ha ha. Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    ... Hi Harry, please trust me when I say your curiosity would be extremely disappointed ... . Ha ha. Atb: G.
    Wouldn't be the first time Or last

Collection complete

Like the Merlin or not, they are collectable. If you've got one that works, in good condition they can fetch a fair price. The fact that most of them broke or just plain didn't sell just makes them rarer.
    Hi
    I have two in my collection a Mk1 and Mk2 you can buy them from £125 to £250 for a mint boxed example. But shooting them is a different story they just about penetrate a card target at 20 yards. But as a collecter you have to have one even if they are quirky
    Bernie

Quote Originally Posted by fixit View Post
    you can buy them from £125 to £250 for a mint boxed example.
    Bernie
    My curiosity would be satisfied at much less money than that!

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    It is a bit of an oddity. What are the design faults? Why didn't they make a scaled-down Cadet instead?

Probably ideal for crawling around an engine bay looking for a point-blank headshot on a rat ...

Probably ideal for crawling around an engine bay looking for a point-blank headshot on a rat ...
    The Tempest was designed specifically with that in mind AFAIK.

According to Mr Knibbs, the Merlin was dainty, elegant, accurate and powerful for its size. But... the underlever slide which pushed the piston back, ran in slots machined in the stock forend. The groove resulting from steel on wood weakened the stock and the groove enlarged with use. The nylon pellet transporter became stiff with use, causing the cocking mechanism to become hard to operate, leading to excess pressure on the cocking slide.... leading to forend of stock splitting. Hundreds of stocks were replaced under guarantee. The Mk2 version (from 1964) had a strengthened stock, an alloy pellet transporter, separate rearsight, and an anti-bear trap. The alloy transporter's O ring seal was not efficient so was later replaced with a leather seal.

"The Merlin, in both its patterns, was a very well made and practical junior air rifle but due to its various design faults, was not totally accepted by the shooting public," says Mr K. He suggests it was also a mistake to sell the Merlin in .22 cal because the power was little better than a Webley Senior and pellet drop too great over 25 yards.

If at all, maybe best to get a Mk2 in .177 on this evidence.....
    Vintage Airguns Gallery