Thread: Webley Senior

Webley Senior

Hi,

I have a Webley Senior air pistol .177, it is approximately 50 years old with a H stamped at the back of the trigger guard.

Looked in Hillier's guide and there is no mention of a H, any ideas what this could mean?

Thanks, Mick

You don't mention a serial number so it is post war (knurled barrel, Webley on grips) so between 1946 and 1964. The letters relate to batches, length of barrel knurl and shape of trigger etc give closer dating - got a pic?
    lodmoor
    Always ready to buy another Webley pistol and another and . . . .

Thank you for the reply, I have attached some pictures here for you.

http://img15.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=1010908i.jpg

As usual an odd discrepancy. Knurling on barrel was changed in 1949 (BUT they would have used up old ones). The most certain thing is the change to the trigger (1963) yours is prior also in 1954 a hole in the trigger was removed sooooo, I would say 1955 to 1963. Information mainly from the gospel according to Gordon Bruce.
    lodmoor
    Always ready to buy another Webley pistol and another and . . . .

Almost certainly an inspector's mark. Pre war Mk.1s and Seniors almost always were stamped with such a letter, sometimes on the left side of the frame near the trigger, sometimes behind the trigger guard.
    The letter was the start of an individuals name, but the practice was less common after the war.
    So your 'H' probably stands for 'Herbert', 'Harry', 'Horace' or some other 50's christian name!