Thread: OK, Why wont it cock?! What now?!

Mattockswinga is offline A bit generous with the inch estimate....... as usual

OK, Why wont it cock?! What now?!

Reassembling the Milbro G34 I've been working on last night.

Degreased, relubed as per various guides and using tips from here. Managed, after some struggling, to get the pin through the back which holds it all together and which the trigger pivots on. Great I thought, thats that done.

Ok, stick it on the stock and some test shots in the garden. Cocks fine, shoot, little pop - seemingly not much power. Having just nearly given myself a hernia putting the spring back in I know there should be more power there.

Few more test shots and each goes phut. Had I chronoed it I would estimate 4ft lb or under. At this point I sort of think, ok its just running in. But then, it wont cock! Try again, no. back of the piston is touching the trigger, I can feel it doing it, its just not engaging

If I try to cock it with the trigger already pulled, then, when at full cock, I slowly release the trigger, I can feel it engage and it stays cocked. Its almost as if the sear isnt engaging properly yet why does it do it when I pull the trigger then release it back?!

Confused now and reluctant to open her up again. May have to though I guess. Ok, so, power issues aside, why wont it cock?

Help

PS, any ideas on ther power issue would also be greatly appreciated!
    B&C Weihrauch HW99s .22 3-9X40

I don't know these guns but it sounds as if something may have come loose on the piston (or has been assembled incorrectly) - that might explain the lack of power and the cocking problem.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

Wont cock

I dont know the G34 but I assume its a similar trigger to most of the small Diana,s? ie a pressed steel trigger with 3 or 4 small plates sandwiched between it? These often wear and I have had to file the face that engages so it is less V and more L if you get me? If you try the old mainspring back in it and it cocks okay then this is likely to be the problem. Also check that the face where the piston engages the trigger is pretty square as well. On a small Diana 22 I got it barely engaged with the old spring in. With the new spring there was no chance. I stripped the gun 6 times and kept taking a bit more off the piston rod until it worked. I would never pass on a gun like this but as it works fine and aware of it, just keep using it until more drastic action or a new piston is required. The only other thing I can think of is the cocking arm may be a little bent and need a tap on the back to straighten it a few thou. The "phut" noise is usually a breech seal going or sometimes on Diana 22, small Webley where the seal is on the cylinder, the hole of a leather washer closing up until the thing beds in.