Thread: Barrel shortening help

Barrel shortening help

Hi,
    I was wondering would shortening the barrel of a webley tracker (or any older air rifle, meteor etc) cause a drop in power? I dont think these older barrels would have a choke on them? According to Cardew the pellet actually starts to slow before it exits the barrel so I cant see how shortening a barrel would cause a drop in power-anyone ever done this?
    Thanks in advance.

Hi,

If you search on youtube, there is a guide on barrel shortening, re-crowning, etc...don't know if it'll affect power/accuracy that much though, guess it depends on how well it's done...

Hope you don't mind me asking but why shorten the Tracker's barrel?...it's already quite short, isn't it?
    blah blah

i don't think you'll notice a drop with a springer but with pre charged or Co2, the longer the barrel, the more power up to a certain length (summat like six feet)

john
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Hi,
    thanks chaps-I was hoping to imitate the tracker-sorry just wrote it wrong! Ive had a look at the vid on youtube-very good indeed....now wheres that hacksaw...

There is an article in airgunner, August 1996 which explains it very well, although i've never tried it.
    Worth a read, i'm no way computer literate enough to scan & email it but maybe someone on here who has a copy is?
    Or you could borrow my copy if you really want to read it.

Its very decent of you mrquiver! I will try and buy a copy on fleabay thanks anyway. I intend to practise on a cheap non working rifle first so nothing will get too damaged,

12 in is the max you can go bud use a pipe cutter to start with then finish with the junior hack saw file flat get a ball bearing put it behind a bit of wet and dry push in to the bore and rotate you will get a perfect crown dont forget to ream taper the transfer hole as well more power for less spring better air flow hope it helps

Thanks for that Ronan! I would never have thought of a ball bearing in a million years!

hi ,took my old meteor down to 12inches without any loss of power when i was rejuvenating it for my son so it was not over long with a moderator..cheers ..greasemonkey

Greasemonkey-how did you fit a silencer after cutting it? Did you turn it down on a lathe?

hi ulverstone, i made an adapter by screwcutting a 1/2" unf male thread on one end of a short piece of brass bar then bored the other end to fit over the end of the barrel locked with a grub screw. i could have just screwcut the end of the barrel but my lathe skills are a bit rusty and if i had mullered the job the barrel would ended up even shorter!cheers .greasemonkey

having done tests on barrel lengths I would not go under 12" myself, you have to bear in mind how fast you accelerate the pellet, if you want to accelerate it up to say 560fps in a 3 inch barrel(for examples sake dont take that literally) for instance you need far more energy to do so than acclerating it in a 16" barrel, so achieving the same power you get a better firing cycle from a longer barrel!

you also get more muzzle flip in a springer as there is less weight at the front affecting accuracy!, if you want to experiment with that, zero your scope at say 30 yards then add a weight to the barrel and hey presto all of a sudden your shooting low!

so unless all your bothered about is how things look, then shortening barrels not really a good move!

I think your right 12" is plenty short enough for my needs. Its an aesthetic thing anyway, just need to find someone who can make me an air stripper!