Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1958 22 mk 1 airsporter

Looked at the pics of dave's Airsporter as i have one myself serial no GC218.
    Mine differs in two respects it has the old MK1 pillar rearsight and Mk1 type loading tap.
    Perhaps BSA were using up the old MK1 parts ?.

Quote Originally Posted by sabre View Post
    Looked at the pics of dave's Airsporter as i have one myself serial no GC218.
    Mine differs in two respects it has the old MK1 pillar rearsight and Mk1 type loading tap.
    Perhaps BSA were using up the old MK1 parts ?.
    Exactly that, BSA designers would make a new change to an existing gun, and that change would be brought in only when stocks of the old components had been used up. The first transitional models did have the MK 1 Pillar rearsight and tap, and once those older components were used up, ( John Knibbs suggests GC4900)they then introduced the newer type fitments.
    This gun for sale( now sold) has the early Mk1 cylinder with etching, married onto the new design breech block and parallel barrel, and also has the MK2 flip up rearsight.
    As these transitional models are uncommon, and even rarer in good condition, they make a superb addition to any dedicated airsporter/BSA collection

Lakey

Well thats answered that ,i must admit i have a few air rifles but tend to favour the Airsprorter MK1 and early Original 50's my GC Airsporter is in same condition as the one sold and i have examples of them up to GE.

Sabre