Thread: R3emington 1858: hammer slipping from full cock...

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

R3emington 1858: hammer slipping from full cock...

...and firing without the trigger being pulled!

Any ideas what would cause such a thing to happen?

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Leyland in darkest Lancashire. HERE BE DRAGONS

Scear

From your other post Jim I would think that the previous owner has been tinkering with the matching surfaces of the scear and bent.

I would get it to the gun doctor before you do anything else.

Cheers

Jim
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch

If it's ancient I'd look for wear on the sear.

If it's modern I'd look at the trigger return spring.

Pull the hammer back and watch the trigger, you should see it dropping in to the two sear notches. If not the spring has gone.

Hold the hammer back then push the trigger forwards. If it moves to latch then either the spring is nadged or there is something getting in the way.

If it drops into a rounded out full cock sear then gets pushed out when you let the hammer down you should see the trigger move backwards.

Robin

Quote Originally Posted by robinghewitt View Post
    If it's ancient I'd look for wear on the sear.

If it's modern I'd look at the trigger return spring.

Pull the hammer back and watch the trigger, you should see it dropping in to the two sear notches. If not the spring has gone.

Hold the hammer back then push the trigger forwards. If it moves to latch then either the spring is nadged or there is something getting in the way.

If it drops into a rounded out full cock sear then gets pushed out when you let the hammer down you should see the trigger move backwards.

Robin
    HI JIm

I'm with RH on this one

Check the trigger return spring - my Father had a modern Rem NMA & the spring rusted (the gun had been well cared for too !)

Cheers

Roy

Thanks, all.

I find this REALLY scary! Guns are worse when they go off when you don't want them to then when they don't go off when you do want them to.

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Trigger slipping off full cock

I'd absolutely agree about the state of the spring. If there's no pressure on the trigger, the hammer should fall into the half cock notch as it drops. That suggests the spring isn't bearing heavily enough on the trigger. Likewise, if the tip of the trigger has become worn (often by clipping half cock notch) instead of hard surface, you end up with a rounded edge will is easy to slip. I had somethng similar happen to my original Remington in Valencia at the European Zone Championships where the trigger went so light it wasn't controllable. On returning and rehardening the trigger and tweaking the trigger spring, I shot a 95 with it (10 points better than Spain) two weeks later...

I took it to the gunsmith on Saturday and he did a lot of adjusting but didn't have to replace any parts. It works properly now: did in the shop, at least.

I'll be making another range visit with it in a couple of weeks . Will

Jim