Thread: SMLE Trainer

SMLE Trainer

Following Sam99's request, I thought collectors may want to see pics of what is probably my personal favourite air rifle in my collection. Pics to follow.

This rifle started life as a Lincoln but in the 1970's, was very well converted into a SMLE lookalike. It was apparently one of six, the others consisting of No4 clones and I am told minatures but no idea what the latter look like or how small they are. Underlever and tap work as you would expect and the full stock makes the whole piece resemble the SMLE very closely. It takes the standard SMLE bayonet but is very difficult to shoot acurately with this fitted. Experts will note the butt is actually from a No4 but the overall impression is of a WW1 era SMLE. A similar rifle was featured by Harvey in Airgun World in 1978 while my own example featured a couple of years ago. As to shooting her, she took first prize at a recent Vintage HFT event (no, I didn't use the bayonet on the closer targets!) and always draws attention when I take her out. A keeper if ever there was one.

Kind regards,
    John

Hosting pictures of the enfield mock up

Hi John,

If you are stuck for someone to host the pictures, e-mail them to me at

alake243@hotmail.com and I will host them for you.

All the best

Andy Lake

hi

come on get the piccys on dont tantalise us

Quote Originally Posted by whitevanman574 View Post
    come on get the piccys on dont tantalise us
    Sorry for delay. Pics should be on soon!

Photo's at last, sorry for the delay!

Here are the pictures of the trainer, I was waiting for an answer on thread or a PM, instead of checking my e-mail inbox

http://i547.photobucket.com/albums/h...cket/SMLE1.jpg

http://i547.photobucket.com/albums/h...cket/SMLE2.jpg

http://i547.photobucket.com/albums/h...cket/SMLE3.jpg

There you are, and sorry for the delay

Lakey

Cheers Andy - very good of you.

Kind regards,
    J&J

Hi,

Great looking rifle !
    I remember there was a unclear picture in airgun world in the mid eighties of a lee enfield stocked Bsa mercury at at the line up at field target competition.

PS I will get that pic of the Bsa oil can to you as well, its jogged my memory.

Cheers
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

J&J I have the original article in an old AGW, I will try a post a link, it really is a super looking rifle
    Cheers

Thanks Silva & Prewar,

Any more info on the Mercury at the FT shoot? I have all the old AGWs (but no scanner unfortunately) and this doesn't seem to ring any bells. Off topic slightly but I do remember somebody making a very good M1 Carbine copy from an Original (I think) break barrel during the early '80's.

Kind regards,
    John

That is excellent.
    Morally flawed

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Thanks Silva & Prewar,

Any more info on the Mercury at the FT shoot? I have all the old AGWs (but no scanner unfortunately) and this doesn't seem to ring any bells. Off topic slightly but I do remember somebody making a very good M1 Carbine copy from an Original (I think) break barrel during the early '80's.

Kind regards,
    John

Yes John based on a model 23 or 25

Retro fitted

I handled one of these a few years back in the home of the airgun dealer Malcolm Munslow in Gloucestershire . Well I was into military training airrifles at the time , and thought this would be very nice , but unlike your example , was a rougher conversion ...overall a good impression , but still rough - wood did not match /line up etc etc .
    This one however in photos looks very nice !
    " WHEN YOU'RE GOING TO SHOOT - SHOOT , DON'T TALK ! "

Hi Arch,
    I remember Malcolm and miss seeing him on the Arms fair circuit - a real gent. Last I heard, he was very poorly.

If you ever visit Bisley, please let me know and I'll bring the trainer along for you to have a blast.

Regards,
    John

Malc

Oddly I never went to any Fairs when Malcolm was active . I found him advertising in a local free adds paper - when they allowed Airgun adverts , and kept his number . Went up one day and bought a gunslip off him , then lost touch ....years later we made contact again , when the collecting bug really sank its teeth into me , and I was up every two months or so - he used to line up his airguns in the garage - it was like being in a sweetshop .
    As a Dealer , he was very easy to buy from , always fair . He had a stroke , quite a serious one , but was still active , but it was only a matter of time before he had another massive one .
    Spent enough time in his house handling his airguns , so it was easy to visit him in hospital .
    Last I heard he had been taken to some nursing home in Wales . Very sad .

Thanks for the offer - Bisley it is !
    " WHEN YOU'RE GOING TO SHOOT - SHOOT , DON'T TALK ! "