Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nikko Scope - Problem or Not?

Nikko Scope - Problem or Not?

If you knowledgeable folks would help I would be most grateful.

I have a Nikko 10-50x60 Diamond, I've had it for a couple of years now but only just this week decided to use it.

When I zoom between 10 mag. & 50 mag. the image moves very slightly!

I have been setting the parallax at 50 mag, then I zoom out.

I would never have noticed this deviation if the rifle had not been in a test rig at the time as I'm only talking very small amount here.

I have tried to photograph the image so you can hopefully see what I'm talking about? the image's not brilliant but the best I can do under the prevailing conditions at the time.

The black dot is 2.5mm & about 9/10mtrs away. The left image is 50mag & 10 mag on the right.

Do I return the scope for repair or am I being over critical?

Thanks, Dave
    IF IT'S NOT BROKE.........DON'T FIX IT!

think optical perfecton is not posable/ would think eney thing that has to move within given parimiters will give shift. ie moving magnificaton paralex ajustment eye bell movment may be totaly talking rubbish hear but two meney variables must move change things i think

scopes

Hi David
    I first noticed this problem on a 3-9 x 40 Tasco scope many years ago
    It was not a cheap scope but at 30 yards the POA moved by about 25mm when going from 9x down to 3x (so i always left it at 6mag).

So it is a check that I carry out on any scope that i buy that has a zoom and which I am using for target shooting.

Many of the cheaper scopes that I have checked over the years have shown this problem to some degree (some showing huge errors) but I have a few mid priced scopes such as the older Nikko Stirling Target Masters, the smaller brother of your Nikko ie. the Nikko Stirling Diamond 6-24 x 42mm and also an old but very reliable Tasco TR 6-24 x 40 and these seem to be free from this problem. I usually check them using a Workmate and look for the zero shift as I turn the zoom ring

The shift on yours looks like about 1mm at 10 metres so if you are using it for short range target work such as 20 yd.LSR then it should not pose much of a problem
    However if you shoot in FT competitions then the error could be up to 5mm at 50 metres depending on what magnification was used to zero the rifle/scope set up, and so this represents shooting with a handicap

I suspect many FT shooters may be using scopes with this problem to some degree but the zero shift is small and so has not shown up as a problem.Or they may shoot at a fixed mag. For fixed mag. HFT it is not a problem

I would contact the supplier and /or manufacturer and ask for their opinion as your scope is a top of the range Nikko
    ATB
    John
    hold me back !!

if you want it repairing or may be exchange if they see fit ,, send to highlandoutdoors but you must have your proof of purchace

If they do swap it, you will have to pay 150 pound on top, but they send you a nice new version, after all they are more expensive than the old one, and i dont think you need proof of purchase, it's the scope that is garanteed.

dave
    steyr lg 100 hydrographics.
    Ripley AR5s (nickle plated)in paul wilson stock & leup 20 50
    AA pro sport + SR6-3-12-44 emleymooreFTC

It could just be that the scope is not optically zeroed. On such a high mag scope this could be critical. Try centreing the reticle and see if it still does it. If it doesn't then zero it in using adjustable mounts and it'll be sorted.

JerryD is offline Will only use cherry lipbalm
    I have seen similar on mine (one of the first ones) when it hits the endstops of the zoom - presumably, there is a very small misalignment when it comes up against the stop.

I deal with it by taking it up to the zoom stop then backing it off, either from 10x or 50x. It then seems to zoom accurately between the two extremes with no movement or deviation. As long as I'm not on right on endstops everything seems to be on target (or was - I've just changed to an Elite 6500).

Try aligning and focussing at around 40x, then watch the x-hairs as you zoom up to the 50x endstop. If nothing moves until it hits the stop, then it's a similar issue which can be managed. If not, it's another problem and may need a fix.

ATB Jerry
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Pod View Post
    It could just be that the scope is not optically zeroed. On such a high mag scope this could be critical. Try centreing the reticle and see if it still does it. If it doesn't then zero it in using adjustable mounts and it'll be sorted.
    Thats good advice Pod and well worth a try.

Using a scope with the windage or elevation adjustment fully taken up to an extreme setting can also cause other problems such as preventing the other adjustment from having any effect at all. This does not seem to happen with high cost scopes but is certainly a problem with budget models.

I would think that picture quality may also deteriate with elevation and/or windage at an extreme setting.

Adjustable mounts may be a bit pricey but can certainly save time and effort rather than packing/shimming/swapping the mounts.
    John
    hold me back !!

mintyrn10
    Registered User Join Date: Jul 2008

if you want it repairing or may be exchange if they see fit ,, send to highlandoutdoors but you must have your proof of purchace

Proof of puchase is no problem thanks.
    daveclark
    Registered User Join Date: Jan 2007

If they do swap it, you will have to pay 150 pound on top, but they send you a nice new version, after all they are more expensive than the old one, and i dont think you need proof of purchase, it's the scope that is garanteed.

Yes I have one of the newer big Nikko's with the green turrets mounted on an EV2 & this does not display the same problems, thanks Dave.

Pod
    Peas in a. Join Date: Aug 2004

The scope was optically zeroed in engineering "V" blocks at 25yds on a 1cm spot rather than "counting the clicks" for precision; thanks pod!

jerrybbs
    Registered User Join Date: Dec 2001

I have seen similar on mine (one of the first ones) when it hits the endstops of the zoom - presumably, there is a very small misalignment when it comes up against the stop.

I deal with it by taking it up to the zoom stop then backing it off, either from 10x or 50x. It then seems to zoom accurately between the two extremes with no movement or deviation. As long as I'm not on right on endstops everything seems to be on target (or was - I've just changed to an Elite 6500).

Try aligning and focussing at around 40x, then watch the x-hairs as you zoom up to the 50x endstop. If nothing moves until it hits the stop, then it's a similar issue which can be managed. If not, it's another problem and may need a fix.

No the scope does not display this symptom; you can see the misalignment getting worse as you move through the zoom range. However when the parallax wheel hits the stop at the bottom end of it's range, about 8mtrs, the whole sight picture "jumps" to the right & then jumps back to the exact same spot when the wheel is turned back off the stop again. thanks Jerry.

Hello John, hope your keeping well, I have all my "better" scopes in mounts fully adjustable for windage & elevation so I can keep the scope as near optically centered as possible; I normally use a test rig with built in recoil absorbers - fire 10 shots with the rifle in the rig, then adjust the mounts until the X hairs are as near centre of the group as possible. I also set the scope & rifle combination up using a spirit level & plumb line to start with & then checking the finale set up by firing 2 groups of 10 shots - one at each end of the scopes vertical adjustment - just to make sure!

Thank you all for your comments, it's most appreciated, Dave

Quote Originally Posted by daveclark View Post

dave
    hi dave ,just had my nikko exchanged , it was only 9 months old
    the side wheel got really stiff they said there was a problem with it and would only send a new one if original proof of purchace provided they said to many people sending in second hand scopes and trying to get new back any ways see you at codnor

So what's happenig to all the poor sods thats got a broke nikko with a 25 year warranty and no way to get repaired or replaced?
    steyr lg 100 hydrographics.
    Ripley AR5s (nickle plated)in paul wilson stock & leup 20 50
    AA pro sport + SR6-3-12-44 emleymooreFTC

valuable info.

Hi Dave (wonky donky)

There is so much valuable information shared on threads like this. I find them really useful and always learn from them.

Although this is another problem with big zoom scopes and not related to your's; you or other members may be able to help:-

We do a lot of competition benchrest at our club, and a number of the zoom scopes being used (price range £100-£400) still show small amounts of parallax error when set at best focus.
    Although the error is often only of the order of 2mm at 25 yds, this is also the size of the ten ring and so is a significant error.
    Several shooters find that the zoom scopes they use for FT are just not good enough for benchrest.

Fixed power scopes such as the older 24x and 36x Nikko Targetmaster's and EB Optimates (model 33 and 37) do not seem to have this problem despite the fact that they are not too expensive.

Any suggestions as to how to overcome this problem would be appreciated
    ATB
    John
    hold me back !!

Yes John I've seen this too although I have no idea if there's a DIY fix. I just assume these scopes are either faulty or the manufacturing tolerances aren't tight enough?

I have a friend who used to be a armourer & chairman of one of the UK bench rest associations, & a first class BR shooter to boot. I will get his opinion on the subject although I'm fairly sure he will say get a Nightforce, Hurtle or something of that quality if you want near perfection, we'll see eh! In the mean time keep exercising that index finger!

Quote Originally Posted by daveclark View Post
    So what's happenig to all the poor sods thats got a broke nikko with a 25 year warranty and no way to get repaired or replaced?
    yup you ask vespa ,, kev from anston hes got a mk1 ,sent it to highland sports and because he bought it off here second hand with no recipe they said no and gave him a address for a repairer if you ask me i would only buy one with the recipe or give less without

I can't offer any advice Dave, but I do know that this shift on zooming is due to the reticle not being optically centered.

Colin.