Thread: BP calibre ranges on FAC

nbarker is offline Cannot shout, well thanks for indicating you prick anymore

BP calibre ranges on FAC

About 7 years ago, when I first applied for my FAC, I was advised to put in for a BP pistol but to leave the calibre as ".30-.45". This was accepted by Derbyshire, as was common practise and stood me in good stead some years later when the opportunity to purchase a cheap BP revolver came up.

Said revolver has suffered a major failure, namely the top-strap of the frame has split, seemingly due to stress or the brass hardening

So I went to Derbyshire Police HQ this afternoon for a 1-for-1 to replace it and they no longer accept ranges, due to the national firearms databse, which will no longer let them. A shame, as it worked well for me.

As it happens, I have a .44 revolver lined-up to replace it, so I knew what calibre I'd need.
    --
    Neil Barker

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    A shame that an already strict law is being interpreted and enforced even more strictly.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Same has happened with the old "up to" calibre designation - not allowed now.

Not a problem in Kent. So long as you have a slot, they have always been willing to swop the calibre quite quickly in my experience.

Steve.

Thames Valley wont even let you put 44/45 BP pistol !! - got to be one or the other

The fact that they both shoot the same chuffing ball seems to be outsdie the understanding of the licensing dept !

Roy

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by harricook View Post
    Thames Valley wont even let you put 44/45 BP pistol !! - got to be one or the other

The fact that they both shoot the same chuffing ball seems to be outsdie the understanding of the licensing dept !

Roy

I wonder if it's more likely a case of "compewter sez nooo"
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    I wonder if it's more likely a case of "compewter sez nooo"
    You can have 38/357 & 223/5.56 & 308/7.62 - so computer doesn't look like the problem - just the staff that punch in the info !

Its not all the Police's fault though. We shooters regularly confuse calibre with ammunition (eg. .357 & 38spl) and tend to compound the problem.

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by harricook View Post
    You can have 38/357 & 223/5.56 & 308/7.62 - so computer doesn't look like the problem - just the staff that punch in the info !

From what I've heard the new computer system works on a series of set menus and options, so if the option isn't there for the operator to choose, it can't be entered on the certificate.
    The dual titled cartridges that you quote may be choosable options, but calibre ranges aren't.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.