Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of buying a PCP

Thinking of buying a PCP

Hi all, just after a little info (as the title suggests)

Budget would be up to £400, for a used PCP rifle.

I like the look of some PCP's, and have had a go of an AA S400 carbine and regular length, and an S200 - I didn't really like them as they felt a bit "light" and cheaply made.

However, what I know of PCP's you could right on the back of a postage stamp, and still have room for War and Peace!

I like a carbine, and I would be using it for hunting mostly - FT and the like doesn't really interest me.

I don't like the idea of a ****** great bottle stuck underneath the barrell either (don't mind if it's hidden, but I think it's a BSA that has what I don't like)

So, what would people recommend? (I wouldn't be buying new, but if I were the budget would be up to about £700)

Please can you give a reasoned argument to your answer as well (as I'm a cynic and "It's the best cos I've got one" doesn't really convince me!)

Many thanks

Brodie

Brodie,
    If you are after a PCP carbine with a bit of 'heft' about it, try a BSA Hornet carbine in .177.
    The ones I have used are deadly accurate and the balance and weight are perfect for me. They are also regulated, so each shot is very consistent.
    I am 14st and 6 ft tall.
    HTH
    John
    Rule are for the guidance of wise men and the unswerving obedience of fools!

Rumplestiltskin Guest
    I am 14st and 6 ft tall.

John [/B]
    Do we have a "Lonely Hearts" section?

Originally posted by Rumplestiltskin
    Do we have a "Lonely Hearts" section?
    I posted my height and weight so Brodie would have an idea of the size of person the Hornet felt good for.
    I am happily married so a 'Lonely Hearts' section is not required.
    Now go and pull faces at your knob end, and leave the comedy for someone who gives a toss!
    John

Hi John - thanks for the info - thats one of the PCP's I liked the look of in a mates magazine (AGW or something)

I appreciated the posting of your height and weight - I knew what you were getting at.

I'm 6'4" and 19 stone, so a bit of a bear compared to most - will this rifle still be ok?

Thanks all, and keep the suggestions coming

Brodie

Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk but originally a Brummie
    Originally posted by JohnnyLarge

I am 14st and 6 ft tall.
    HTH
    John
    I'm 16 1/2 stone and 6 ft 4" tall. Please change your handle to JohnnyMedium and I'm gonna be AndyHuge ok

And by the way an AA S400 might feel light and cheaply made but it suits a big bu**er like me and as all have said a thousand times before - more accurate than I will ever be.

Ner,

AndyB

Don't get me wrong Andy, I wasn't knocking the Air Arms - I took someones elses rifle, zeroed to them and hit the smallest, furthest target (almost 50 metres) at the club I tried it at 2nd shot - I was duly impressed but it just felt like a bit of a toy - I shoot normally with an HW97k (probably about 10 - 10.5 lbs with scope!) so I was probably a bit used to the weight of that.

I just felt I would snap it it I tried too hard!

Brodie,

Who may change his name to Brodie_Gargantuan!

maty j is offline Nothing ventured, Nothing gained
    agreed on the s400. verry acurate indeed.

Not quite as tall as you and slightly less in weight, but I found the hornet a good rifle to shoot. Tried one yesterday so it is quite fresh in my mind. The loading was easy to use after a few false starts and quiet.

The owner did notice a slight change of POI with and without the silencer. Likme you I can not keep the S200 still but the S400 has a good balance and a club member yesterday was hitting a 40mm target with regularity @50yds in a strongish wind.

The only other would be the Daystates but IIRC they start at near to or over your price range.
    infensus procul vox locus procul nefas vicis
    I aimed at the right place at the wrong time.

Rumplestiltskin Guest
    Originally posted by JohnnyLarge
    I posted my height and weight so Brodie would have an idea of the size of person the Hornet felt good for.
    I am happily married so a 'Lonely Hearts' section is not required.
    Now go and pull faces at your knob end, and leave the comedy for someone who gives a toss!
    John
    Sorry John, couldn't resist it.

Rumplestiltskin (Darren, sold you those Opti-Mate Scopes!)

Thanks guys, keep 'em coming.

I also forgot to ask, how much moolah would I be looking at for the types recommended so far, 2nd hand?

No scope needed, so would like just the rifle price.

Thanks again

Brodie

Snapshot. Guest
    If the AA 400 feels too light, take a look at a Daystate Harrier X or X2. Similar size to the 400 carbine but more solidly built. All the PCPs mentioned are as accurate as each other so it's down to which one you can make the best use of.

Jonathan

Brodie,
    I thought you might be a big bugger, given your occupation.
    The Hornet is about 8lbs-ish. Add a scope and silencer and you're up to 9lbs-ish. The carbine is nice and compact and weighty.
    You must try one out.
    If I remember correctly, Snapshot has one for sale in .177 in the sales section at a good price.

Darren stop changing your chuffin' name and I might realise who you are one day.

JohnnyLarge doesn't refer to my height and build!

John

figjam Guest

Re: Thinking of buying a PCP

Originally posted by brodie_76
    Hi all, just after a little info (as the title suggests)

Budget would be up to £400, for a used PCP rifle.

I like the look of some PCP's, and have had a go of an AA S400 carbine and regular length, and an S200 - I didn't really like them as they felt a bit "light" and cheaply made.

However, what I know of PCP's you could right on the back of a postage stamp, and still have room for War and Peace!

I like a carbine, and I would be using it for hunting mostly - FT and the like doesn't really interest me.

I don't like the idea of a ****** great bottle stuck underneath the barrell either (don't mind if it's hidden, but I think it's a BSA that has what I don't like)

So, what would people recommend? (I wouldn't be buying new, but if I were the budget would be up to about £700)

Please can you give a reasoned argument to your answer as well (as I'm a cynic and "It's the best cos I've got one" doesn't really convince me!)

Many thanks

Brodie
    I think (and this is only my opinion of course)

and no offence to anybody on hear !

but dont go by anyones advice, and dont have predjudice views at this early stage of your PCP days!

i think the best thing you can do is get yourself down to club, i'm sure i speak for most people on here! who will let you try there rifles!

the biggest mistake i've seen over the years are people 'thinking' they have the perfect weapon and it turns out to be the biggets load of crap!(unbalanced, to heavy.etc.)

just for starters you may find you like the rifles with the 'bulky' bottles on view and for the one purpose that you mention! your intentions are 'hunting'!

youll get far more shots from a buddy bottle than you will from any carbine PCP!

Looks like youve already been swayed by the asthetics and what people think!

please try going to a club and trying before you buy!

ATB in 'youre decision'

rgds

kenny

p.s. 15 stone 6" and i shoot with
    AA s410 s, AA s200 , AA s300, BSA supersport!, Ruger 10/22, lee enfield mk 4.......

THE LIST GOES ON, you get used to a whole manner of weights mate, if your out hunting all day you will appreciate a lighter rifle!
    Last edited by figjam; 13-09-2004 at 07:10 PM.

How true figjam. Its is suprising how 1 rifle may suit and 'feel' right for one person but not another. I have had the oportunity to use a number of rifles of the years, not always mine but other club members who want a second opinion on it with regards the way it shoots, and I found that some I feel comfortable with and others I don't.

For example, I like the MK3s in the pictures etc but to me when I have shot 1, my gut feeling was that something was wrong. I can not explain it but it just was. The same with RN10/Pro-Targets and Logans.

I do use a MK2 in .177 and for hunting it is great with a 'pointability' that I like. I use an AR5 (my old Ft rifle) in a sporting stock for hide/static shooting and HFT events.

Whenever someone at the club comes and asks if they may have a go I always let them and its suprising how some people just don't like them or want to tack them away with them . I have found though that adding an adjustable buttplate can make a difference to the way a rifle handles. All mine have had them fitted and it is suprising how moving the buttpad down 1/2" or so changes the way it feels.
    infensus procul vox locus procul nefas vicis
    I aimed at the right place at the wrong time.