Thread: Chequering tools

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

Chequering tools

Which brand of chequering tools do the panel (pardon the pun) recommend? As usual, the cost/quality is important (why buy a Whiscombe when you can buy a Park and take the family to the Maldives with the money you save?).

And is there a 'idiots guide to larnin' chequering'?

keith66 is offline Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    I use Dem Bart chequering tools, they have replaceble cutters that are hard as hades & accurately made.
    I got a set from F J Wisemans of Birmingham.
    The best book i found is "The Checkering & Carving of Gunstocks" author Monty Kennedy it has lots of fine black & white photos & full size patterns to copy or adapt. It is a superb book covering the subject in detail. Have a read & get scratching! Dont start on a fancy piece of walnut rather an old meteor or relum!

Checkering tools

Hi Hsing,

I bought my checkering tools from Brownells here in the US by mail order. They do supply Dem-Bart replaceable cutter types plus others. You can also order mylar templates and instruction videos. I bought a couple of very cheap ex-army M1 carbine stocks to practice on at a local gun show. (It ain't easy). The video is very good, but you'll have to have it converted to Pal 2 format for play in UK. If you are not rushed, I can probably copy it to CD which should play on any computer. I'd mail you the CD.
    Good luck, MarcDV

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Another vote for Dem Bart (but then, they are the only ones I've used), and I'll echo the sentiments about practicing first. It's time consuming and can be fiddly, but if you take the time to be careful you'll end up with some nice 18LPI chequering.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Quote Originally Posted by keith66 View Post
    Dont start on a fancy piece of walnut rather an old meteor or relum!
    RELUM ???? RELUM ???? I would recommend practicing on some thing less valuable, like a modern webley, for example!!!!

keith66 is offline Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    Sorry, i should have said B2, But if you can do a reasonable job on some horrible piece of timber a nice piece of walnut will go much better.

edbear2 Guest
    another thumbs up for dem bart!........The border tools especially give good results.......The cutters are first class, but the handle and method of attaching the cutting heads, although great in function, were a bit of an eye opener!