Thread: Hawke 4-16x50 AO Map Pro

Hawke 4-16x50 AO Map Pro

I purchased this scope for the very reasonable price of £15 and my old swat mini in exchange. The scope is brand new. The retail price is currently around the £100 mark.

The scope is well built and in the looks department puts many others to shame. The whole look and feel of the scope exudes a quality that pricier scopes struggle to do sometimes. All optics are coated and it has a large 50mm objective lens (although with the standard 1 inch tube I doubt there is a great benfit from this larger objective lens). This also doubles as the parallax focussing ring and for once the yard markers are bang on, ie 15 yards = 15yards and 35 yards = 35 yards and so on. It comes with a set of elasticated covers (poor show for a hundred pound scope) and a comprehensive set of instructions.

I mounted the scope onto my HW100KT, without any trouble. It was long enough to bridge the magazine slot and still retain my correct eye relief distance. I zeroed the rifle within 10 shots (after centering the finger tip adjustable turrets first).

What imediatley struck me was how clear and visable the reticle was. It is the MAP 6 version, consisting of thin lines leading to a mapped 6 x mil dot section in the middle of the scope (mapped = not equally spaced, but spaced specifically for the Hawke software mentioned later on). I always found my swat Mini 3-9x40 with 30mm tube (not a cheap scope) was clear, but the mil dots were too far apart. The same applies to my other scope, a AGS 3-9x40 Sapphire. Even on a 55 yard shot, my HW100KT was only 1.5 mil dots down. So a lot of shots had no true mark to aim for on the scope. That is most definatley not the case on the new Hawke scope. With the new scope the mil dots are spaced closer together and seemed to fall effortlessy into 3-5 yard increments. This has helped my shooting in HFT quite an amount.

There is a dioptre adjustment on the eye piece that is very smoothe in action, although I don't need it (yet!). The turrets are both finger tip adjustable with a very precise feel. They are covered with standard screw on covers (have to be careful to not cross thread these).

With the Parralax set to 35 yards the scope can focus down to around 5 yards on the lower magnifications but struggles a little at the higher end of the scale. (fixed parralax used in HFT).

The scope is designed with the Hawke BRC (Ballistic Reticle Calculator, a free download from Hawkes web site) software in mind with the scopes own settings on the program. The software enables you to put in things like velocity of the pellet, specific magnifications etc etc and then maps your point of impacts against your reticle. This can then be printed out and kept with you until you get used to the scope or need to change any of the variables. So far the software has been more or less spot on and has been quite a good aide to help me get used to the new scope.

Overall I am hugely happy with the scope from how it handles to the quality of the optics and casing. I would say it is superb value for money for a quality, spring rifle rated scope. The only let down being the crappy elasticated lens covers (flip up set already ordered).

I hope this helps any prospective buyers make up their minds.

Happy trails,

Chris.
    Check out my Photography Web Site here

Cavalier Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Neomagic View Post
    I purchased this scope for the very reasonable price of £15 and my old swat mini in exchange. The scope is brand new. The retail price is currently around the £100 mark.

The scope is well built and in the looks department puts many others to shame. The whole look and feel of the scope exudes a quality that pricier scopes struggle to do sometimes. All optics are coated and it has a large 50mm objective lens (although with the standard 1 inch tube I doubt there is a great benfit from this larger objective lens). This also doubles as the parallax focussing ring and for once the yard markers are bang on, ie 15 yards = 15yards and 35 yards = 35 yards and so on. It comes with a set of elasticated covers (poor show for a hundred pound scope) and a comprehensive set of instructions.

I mounted the scope onto my HW100KT, without any trouble. It was long enough to bridge the magazine slot and still retain my correct eye relief distance. I zeroed the rifle within 10 shots (after centering the finger tip adjustable turrets first).

What imediatley struck me was how clear and visable the reticle was. It is the MAP 6 version, consisting of thin lines leading to a mapped 6 x mil dot section in the middle of the scope (mapped = not equally spaced, but spaced specifically for the Hawke software mentioned later on). I always found my swat Mini 3-9x40 with 30mm tube (not a cheap scope) was clear, but the mil dots were too far apart. The same applies to my other scope, a AGS 3-9x40 Sapphire. Even on a 55 yard shot, my HW100KT was only 1.5 mil dots down. So a lot of shots had no true mark to aim for on the scope. That is most definatley not the case on the new Hawke scope. With the new scope the mil dots are spaced closer together and seemed to fall effortlessy into 3-5 yard increments. This has helped my shooting in HFT quite an amount.

There is a dioptre adjustment on the eye piece that is very smoothe in action, although I don't need it (yet!). The turrets are both finger tip adjustable with a very precise feel. They are covered with standard screw on covers (have to be careful to not cross thread these).

With the Parralax set to 35 yards the scope can focus down to around 5 yards on the lower magnifications but struggles a little at the higher end of the scale. (fixed parralax used in HFT).

The scope is designed with the Hawke BRC (Ballistic Reticle Calculator, a free download from Hawkes web site) software in mind with the scopes own settings on the program. The software enables you to put in things like velocity of the pellet, specific magnifications etc etc and then maps your point of impacts against your reticle. This can then be printed out and kept with you until you get used to the scope or need to change any of the variables. So far the software has been more or less spot on and has been quite a good aide to help me get used to the new scope.

Overall I am hugely happy with the scope from how it handles to the quality of the optics and casing. I would say it is superb value for money for a quality, spring rifle rated scope. The only let down being the crappy elasticated lens covers (flip up set already ordered).

I hope this helps any prospective buyers make up their minds.

Happy trails,

Chris.
    Yeah i agree great quality optics. I had the 3-9x50AO version Map pro and the only grievence i had was the front tube was too short and thus never sit right in the mounts to make eye relief comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
    Yeah i agree great quality optics. I had the 3-9x50AO version Map pro and the only grievence i had was the front tube was too short and thus never sit right in the mounts to make eye relief comfortable.
    It seems to sit spot on with me, but everyones eye relief will be slightly different for each gun / scope combo. I love this scope, was out rabbiting with it earlier, 3 for the pot in 15 mins. Its great for low level light.
    Check out my Photography Web Site here

johnny k is offline Models mankinis for Ann Summers.

Smile They are good

I have used SR6 and Map6 scopes on all sorts of guns.
    No complaints from me.
    Although the people with mega expensive scopes will probably not agree, but shooting at 50m who needs a mega expensive scope IMHO.

Set the ball rolling
    Chinese springer 0.22, HW100 .177. Selection of powder burners
    When there were extra pies to eat, I avoided them.

had this scope on my rapid it was spot on and will be getting another when funds are better
    help is always round the corner just takes time to turn

Smile Hawke Scope 4-16x50

Just bought one from Aberdeen Field Sports for £70 bargain
    Daystate Huntsman Classic.22 Airsporter Mark 2 .22
    HW8OK .22 Browning 525 12 gauge
    BASC Member 500044010

Hawke scopes

I have had two hawke scopes in the past and couldn't fault them at all ....and i will buy another when needed , I am using an MTC Viper just now and although the optic are very very clear i do find it very fussy on eye relief .....or maybe it's just my eyes .lol:
    Enjoy yourself........it's later than you think !!!

I'm thinking of getting this scope.

Im also trying to decide between a (MapPro Hawk) or a (Bushnell Legend). Any preferences?

Longbenton North Tyneside. +Dinnington FTC.
    The Hawke MapPro 4-16x50 is a really good Scope for the money, I have one on my BSA Ulta and very bright and sharp.

Hawke MAP Pro

Hi, is the MAP Pro any good with .177, is it worth the investment as I have a couple of nice scopes but like the idea of the MAP Pro multi aim points but it seems to be more for the .22. I am thinking of getting the MAP Pro 4-16 x 50 and will be using soley for hunting.

itsaheadshot Guest
    hi wicked scope I have one on a Logun S16s with extra sunshade - I basically purchased to test with calculator software and it is spot on. I am used to Mil Dots so was very confused when using this but got my head around it!! Can't fault Hawke scopes and would recommend this scope.