Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tasty "NEW" Webley SSP Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by mickson View Post
    IF as you say its re badged, what is it re badged from?, do tell!...mike...
    Hatsan, at a guess.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

Graham2 is offline Slightly camp, makes decent chilli, and has a box of tissues and a can of 3 In 1 in the gun room
    I handled it (there was only one in existence at the time) at the Midland Game Fair and it looks very nice, a sort or Nemesis on steroids mixed with a Desert Eagle.
    I've been promised one for a review in Gun Mart, but I think I'll have to wait a while, as these things never work out as quickly as they should. I'll send them an email in a bit and see when I might be able to get hold of one.

I have seen pics of those from the SHOT Show ( in the U.S ) from last Jan. IIRC, they were made in Turkey.

I don't want to keep on bitching about the 'new' Webley, but why is this pistol so expensive? The whole point of them moving production out to Turkey was to cut costs, manufacturing is much cheaper out there than in western Europe, so why is this gun being offered for about £70-80 more than you could buy a brand-new UK-made Nemesis for a few years ago?

I know they say that this pistol is pretty powerful, and the dual power level is a nice feature, but how come it's selling for a lot more than the HW40 goes for, which is a similar style of pneumatic pistol, from an established western-European high-quality manufacturer?

I'm just puzzled by their pricing policy, that's all. Admittedly this pistol is better looking than an HW45, but it still seems to me that Webley are using their name to put a premium price on airguns that should have a more mid-range price, like they did before.

Chewy is offline Can't believe i missed this last night...
    I think Rob has got it spot on. It's too much money for what it is. It looks like it's being made to compete directly with the HW40, but it's £40 more expensive. All it has to offer over the HW40 is a higher power level, which just isn't needed with these pistols.

And can we please stop calling it an SSP? It's a multi-stroke pneumatic. The fact that it can be fired after one stroke doesn't change the fact that it's multi-stroke.
    Weihrauch HW99S .177 - Pardini P10 - Crosman 2240 - Beeman P17 .177 - Umarex Beretta PX4 Storm .177 - Umarex Beretta 92FS .177

Price

I'm just puzzled by their pricing policy, that's all. Admittedly this pistol is better looking than an HW45, but it still seems to me that Webley are using their name to put a premium price on airguns that should have a more mid-range price, like they did before.
    You may well be right, BUT, why should a Steyr cost as much as it does? You can apply the same argument to Umarex, Daystate, or any air gun. Yes the other guns quoted are supposed to be better engineered but that still does not explain the collossal price difference between them. Daystate will point out all the technical innovations, Umarex will laugh all the way to the bank since they will outsell Daystate by a HUGE margin. If the gun buying public are prepared to pay the price asked then that is a fair price for that gun. No matter what gun you look at some will love it and some will hate it. I like Webley guns and to be honest it wouldnt be a Webley without some glaring fault. For example the Nemisis sights, the outdated appearance of the Tempest, the introduction of the Typhoon. Yet the first two were revolutionary when they were launched and they were STILL selling (in greatly reduced numbers) untill production ceased and then the second hand market took off. This might actualy be the first Webley pistol where it all comes together.

Yep! I want one as well, but like I said, these things are totaly subjective and no matter what your choice is enjoy it.

Good grief that was a rant Sorry

Target Bunny
    Globus magnus volvere
    trepidex mea non est!

I don't think the £169.99 price is excessive.

A single stroke gun keeps its air compressed between the piston and the firing valve until firing. A multi-stroke needs another chamber and a non-return valve. This means more parts, and a slightly more complex design.

The advertised power is significantly more than the competition (which is mainly the HW40/Beeman). This is a big selling point to most buyers of this type of pistol (plinking). 10M shooters don't really care as long as it cuts neat holes in card. Therefore it does justify a price premium over a single stroke.

Given the above, and the fact that it's an RRP so there should be scope for some retailers to discount, I think it's not too bad. Provided of course that the quality of manufacturing and materials is adequate. This remains to be seen.

When I hold one in my hand I'll decide whether I'm prepared to shell out that much but on paper I like it. Does anybody know if it has scope grooves in the top strap like the HW40?
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

If people want to buy it, then that's up to them, my beef with it is that, like the first re-incarnation of Webley, the people that own the name now are offering a product, made probably pretty cheaply abroad (where wages and manufacturing costs, taxes, energy, environmental costs etc.) for a price that one would associate with a premium western-European product.

I for one, resent that. It seems to me that the owners are using the Webley name to offer a mid-range product at a higher price than it warrants. That means that people that buy this product will be paying over the odds, and will probably end up[ being disappointed.

It's not that I don't like Webley products. I own two Webley Mk3 rifles, two Tempests, two Nemesis pistols, two Longbows, a Mk1 pistol, a Senior and a Premier, all excellent products. I loved the old Webley firm. Don't misunderstand me. I just think it's a bit off of the current owners to make Webley stuff abroad where it's cheap, and then charge what seems to me to be a very high price here for it. Some firms like Edgar Brothers can import stuff from Turkey, sell it at a reasonable price and make a profit, why can't Webley? The pricing of the 'new' Tempests is a case in point, why are they going to be so expensive, if they're made in Turkey, they should be cheap. To do otherwise seems like profiteering and ripping Webley fans off.

If this new pistol was British made I would have one on order already, but I'm not going to be ripped off, paying top money for a Turkish gun with Webley badges stuck on it.

Chewy is offline Can't believe i missed this last night...
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam77K View Post
    Does anybody know if it has scope grooves in the top strap like the HW40?
    The advertising flyer says that it does.

I think that Rob's point is if Weihrauch can sell the German made HW40 for £120, and Beeman can make the same pistol under license in China and sell it for £60, why is the Turkish made Alecto so pricey?
    Last edited by Chewy; 28-09-2009 at 01:58 PM.
    Weihrauch HW99S .177 - Pardini P10 - Crosman 2240 - Beeman P17 .177 - Umarex Beretta PX4 Storm .177 - Umarex Beretta 92FS .177

Paul55 is offline I get by with a little help from my friends
    While I can the arguments both for and against I have another pressing concern. If I got one of these, and they do look and sound nice, would I be able to use it in the UBC comps? As far as I can see there is no category for MSP's.

On the same thread that goods being manufactured in a supposedly "cheaper" country, Take a look at the world of golf. Callaway are producers of some of the most expensive kit in golf, yet all their kit is made in China the same is true of Taylor Made. The quality of both of these is superb. |There are cheaper clones of these clubs also made in China but the finish and build quality is not as good. To some people it is the look of a leading manufacturer at a substantially cheaper price, others will happily pay the price for the extra quality of finish. There is a difference, as there is a difference in the spec and quality of the HW40 compared to the Beeman version.

You do ultimately get what you pay for IMHO.

Paul
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55
    Been there, bought it, tried it, sold it

UBC Comp

Yes you can use it.
    The precedent was set by my C130 in the vintage shoots. The contest organiser asked the committee if multi pump was admissable and the reply was that most people could see no advantage in multi over single pump. In fact it was thought to be the other way round if anything.
    Just remember that this is an untried pistol and it may not be good for anything except plinking.
    I have asked the rep to come to the UBC meet but so far no reply.

Regards
    Jim
    Globus magnus volvere
    trepidex mea non est!

Without getting involved in the argument.

I would imagine there will be a version marketed as hatsan for 30-40% less. If there is I will be buying one.
    'Time has little to do with infinity and jelly doughnuts'

Quote Originally Posted by Schnakey View Post

I would imagine there will be a version marketed as hatsan for 30-40% less. If there is I will be buying one.
    You sir, have a very good point there!

Question British made ??

All this talk about where guns are produced, how many of you are on the net with british made computers we all know they come from china or far east in general, same goes for all your electronic gear, the clothes you wear,
    & quite a lot of cars, give the new owners of webley a chance, yes the pistol produced by the previous owners was Rubbish, lets not decry this one till we get our hands on it, & just maybe if the company gets on its feet they'll start making in the UK again. To many people in this country defeatist & negative,
    Oh and by the way a Lot of euro guns have parts made in turkey & china with just final assy & packing in europe so that they can claim ther european, including Very pricey target guns...mike...

Paul55 is offline I get by with a little help from my friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Schnakey View Post

Quite probably, but I'm sure it won't the fully adjustable sights or the multi adjustable trigger. The Beeman version of the HW40 doesnt have the Tru Glo
    sights

It's not WHERE it's made, it's HOW it's made that matters to me! If it costs me more, so be it.

Paul
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55
    Been there, bought it, tried it, sold it