To paraphrase Wolfy Smith "Power to the Pistol Shooters"

Paul
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55
    Been there, bought it, tried it, sold it

Talking Alecto

Quote Originally Posted by Pad. E View Post
    Hi

Me & Jim (Target Bunny) have been in contact with Webley about there new pistol.

And I'm delighted to say that they will be bringing two RH gripped ALECTO pistols for us to use at our UBC Meet in Coventry on October 24th.

I've only seen the picture of it & I think it looks cool. A cross between a HW40 & Desert Eagle

Regards
    Paddy.
    Clear off U two, if I could make it, I'd be first...mike...

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    This is so cool!
    Get several thousand air pistol shooterstogether in a club and suddenly people are talking to us!
    Well done Jim & Paddy & anyone else involved,
    This is great news!
    Nick
    Hi Nick & thanks

As soon as I was told that there may be some technical guys coming along I automatically thought of you

Regards
    Paddy.
    BE-HAPPY-OK

Quote Originally Posted by mickson View Post
    Clear off U two, if I could make it, I'd be first...mike...
    Mike your only in Derby, try & make it. Be nice to actually meet you , plus I may let you go first with the pistol. But I'm not promising
    BE-HAPPY-OK

Cool Pistol

Mike your only in Derby, try & make it. Be nice to actually meet you , plus I may let you go first with the pistol. But I'm not promising
    Hey U fella's would appreciate piccy & report on this
    pistol...mike...

Nickpan is offline I love a lot of slippery, soapy men's bums!
    I think the Gamo Compact is about £170, so I don't object at all to a multi-stroke pneu being £169.
    (I don't think the Gamo's are made in England, just for the record.)

There's not much made in UK these days, so I can't quite understand the "if it's made abroad it should be £30" point of view. Can't Abroad make quality stuff?
    no such words as alot or ect, and do you really want to add a second 'o' in 'lose', unless you're talking about something that isn't very tight?

Question Abroad

Hi Nickpan
    Can't Abroad make quality stuff?
    Define "abroad" because I think that you'll find that manufacturers like Beman, Umarex, Feinwerkbrau etc come under that definition for the location of their main factories. Also, many of these subcontract to various other countries.

Target Bunny.
    Globus magnus volvere
    trepidex mea non est!

Thumbs up Alecto

If you fancy a "Hands On" experience with the Alecto then Webley have bravely agreed to do what no other pistol manufacturer has so far done and that is to turn up at a club meet and let the general shooting public see and try their latest product.
    PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS A CLUB MEET AND ENTRY WILL BE BY PRIOR INVITATION ONLY. FOR DETAILS CONTACT PAD E

Target Bunny
    Globus magnus volvere
    trepidex mea non est!

Quote Originally Posted by Nickpan View Post
    (I don't think the Gamo's are made in England, just for the record.)

Can't Abroad make quality stuff?
    Gamo are Spanish

And yep most other countries do produce quality stuff
    I have a Chinese Rifle thats a dream to shoot, looks awsome and is running at about 11.5ft/lbs and no I haven't tuned it

When I was a kid the 'foraigner's' were the Japanese and their products such as Cars and Mortorcycles were 'Jap Crap' now look at em, they are the envy of many countries with their innovations in technology and their top quality.

But the main argument of this thread is will the Alecto, help restore the reputation that the Webley brand name once had?

If it shoots as sweet as it looks then they ar onto a good thing

The shooters will decide

Tony
    Last edited by Phantom Sniper; 05-10-2009 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Forgot to sign post DOH!
    UBC Secretary & Web-Manager
    THL Marksman of the Year 2010
    (Airgun Section)

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Sniper View Post
    Gamo are Spanish

When I was a kid the 'foraigner's' were the Japanese and their products such as Cars and Mortorcycles were 'Jap Crap' now look at em, they are the envy of many countries with their innovations in technology and their top quality.

Tony
    I can remember when MadeinJapan was pronounced as one word and was a synonym for cheap junk.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

BeerJam is offline Loser of the 2011 'Barn Door Trophy'.
    Headley, Hampshire (behind the graveyard!)
    Well I think it should be Jim first as he done the intial invite & then me because I also liased with them

Also there will hopefully be some technical guys from Webley attending, so you'll all be able to ask them questions.

Regards
    Paddy.
    Well done you guys for getting the Webley chaps along, I would like to give this new offering a try too - please

This might also attract a few more attendees to the meet, methinks.

p.s. could you ask them to bring a replacement breech seal for my 1957 New Model Webley Junior pistol?

Cheers, Mark
    Proud to be a member of; MVAC and Countryside Alliance
    "...... I'm good with the science, but rubbish with the gun "

Cool Alecto

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Sniper View Post
    Gamo are Spanish

And yep most other countries do produce quality stuff
    I have a Chinese Rifle thats a dream to shoot, looks awsome and is running at about 11.5ft/lbs and no I haven't tuned it

But the main argument of this thread is will the Alecto, help restore the reputation that the Webley brand name once had?

If it shoots as sweet as it looks then they ar onto a good thing

The shooters will decide

Tony
    Well said GRASSHOPPER...mike... simples

Just for the record, I do like the look of this Alecto, apart from the palm shelf, and the system it employs sounds interesting (I like the idea of two power levels), and as I said before, I will reserve judgement on the quality of it until it has reached the shops and been on sale for a while. It might be very good.

I only have two problems with Webleys, the first is that I would prefer them to be made in the UK, the second is that, being made in Turkey, it should be substantially cheaper than something vaguely similar made in Western Europe, even if the quality is high.

I know that other countries can turn out high quality goods, and I don't believe that anything made in the UK is automatically better than things made abroad, it's just that for reasons that I admit are partly sentimental and partly practical, I would like to see the UK retain a range of industries and skills, gunsmithing and airgun manufacturing being among many that I would like to preserve if possible.

I don't wish New Webley any ill-will, but I do hope they can consider making stuff in the UK again sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
    Fully with you on that one Nick.

To paraphrase Wolfy Smith "Power to the Pistol Shooters"

Paul
    Your showing your age there Paul

This does look like a good pistol, and if it feels as good as the Gamo Compact and is as well made and has a nice trigger like the HW40, then they could be onto a winner, even at the RRP they are asking.
    Fancy shooting your air pistols & rifles a bit more, then guy's & gal's come visit us at the
    UBC for loads of fun competitions for all types of air pistols and rifles.

Actually it is very nice.

I went to the midland game fair with the old fella and he was very interested in this pistol. The beardy guy from Webley who was overseeing it was excellent. When we arrived in the morning of the first day he had 30 with him, these had gone by the time the old geezer decided to put his hand in his pocket at lunchtime!
    That said he did let us all have a play with the display model. It's great in the hand, very pointable, completely recoilless and seemingly of a very good build quality.
    I've got a significant birthday coming up and I live in hope that the 'bread knife' won't object to another gun in the house!