Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Tasty "NEW" Webley SSP Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Cerebral Chasm View Post
    I doubt it. Solware have got me on pre-order at the RRP of £169.99. And Webleys own website also says £169.99
    As does the full page advert in AGW this month.
    Jef
    AKA Porthos, a Piskateer of Renown.
    I am a pistaholic, and proud of it

I doubt it. Solware have got me on pre-order at the RRP of £169.99. And Webleys own website also says £169.99
    The website is not working yet?? Have you got a link?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy001 View Post
    The website is not working yet?? Have you got a link?
    Linky for you
    I am a Lady
    AA S200 Mk3, Walther CP99, Soon to own a Webley Alecto

Thanks for that
    Andrew

Cool Webley

Good link 6ft lbs tempest should be quite a pistol!!...mike...

Quote Originally Posted by mickson View Post
    Good link 6ft lbs tempest should be quite a pistol!!...mike...
    6 ft/lbs, from a Tempest? That's a joke! With that cylinder size, and the transfer port of the Tempest/Hurricane design there's no way it could get near 6 ft/lbs.

Don't get me wrong, I own two Birmingham-made Tempests, one of which is the air pistol that I use most frequently, I love them very much, they're fun, satisfying to shoot, compact and will last a lifetime if looked after. But the idea that these new Tempests will shoot near 6 ft/lbs is just laughable.

I don't want it to seem that I'm always bashing Webley on this thread. The new Alecto does look very good, I'm just not a fan of badge engineering. I might actually buy one at some point, but if I do it will be the original turkish brand, not one with Webley stickers on it. But the idea of a Tempest doing anywhere near 6 ft/lbs is so laughable, even if they mention that figure on the Webley website, that I had to reply. There's just no way that the Tempest design can do that.

is it available now? also does anyone know where in essex i can get it from? Air gun center will not stock it.

Thanks Rich.
    You tube channel bassmanrich44 2000 subscribers and counting! 5000 now

Quote Originally Posted by bassmanrich View Post
    is it available now? also does anyone know where in essex i can get it from? Air gun center will not stock it.

Thanks Rich.
    They might choose not to stock it, but I can't imagine they'd refuse to source one for you.

Unless of course you want to handle it before buying, in which case I wouldn't expect many RFD's to stock what is essentially quite a gamble, considering the alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by bassmanrich View Post

Thanks Rich.
    Unless you want to handle one first then order one from Solware - I think they have put in an order for more than one and will will then send it by courier to the Air gun centre at a small charge.
    I am a Lady
    AA S200 Mk3, Walther CP99, Soon to own a Webley Alecto

Thumbs up Tempest

Quote Originally Posted by Rob M View Post
    6 ft/lbs, from a Tempest? That's a joke! With that cylinder size, and the transfer port of the Tempest/Hurricane design there's no way it could get near 6 ft/lbs.

Don't get me wrong, I own two Birmingham-made Tempests, one of which is the air pistol that I use most frequently, I love them very much, they're fun, satisfying to shoot, compact and will last a lifetime if looked after. But the idea that these new Tempests will shoot near 6 ft/lbs is just laughable.

I don't want it to seem that I'm always bashing Webley on this thread. The new Alecto does look very good, I'm just not a fan of badge engineering. I might actually buy one at some point, but if I do it will be the original turkish brand, not one with Webley stickers on it. But the idea of a Tempest doing anywhere near 6 ft/lbs is so laughable, even if they mention that figure on the Webley website, that I had to reply. There's just no way that the Tempest design can do that.
    Keep Ur Powder dry, wait & see what they do i won't scoff @ what i have'nt Seen, I to have owned Tempest, but will not pre-empt what they will produce now, i've had 50yrs airgunning, worked as an engineer, but still NOT an ex-spurt, so hopefully get the same quality surprise we've had with the Alecto.good luck to webley where
    ever there made...mike...

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob M View Post

I'm not an expert, so you will be able to tell me, how much does it differ from the HW45 in bore & stroke?
    Regards,
    Nick
    Last edited by magicniner; 11-11-2009 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Clarification

Paul55 is offline I get by with a little help from my friends

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    I'm not an expert, so you will be able to tell me, how much does it differ from the HW45 in bore & stroke?
    Regards,
    Nick

Paul
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55
    Been there, bought it, tried it, sold it

Nick and Paul: All I'm saying is that with the bore and stroke that it has (which might be pretty similar to that of the HW45) AND the Tempest transfer port as originally designed, I can't imagine for a moment it will get anywhere near six ft/lbs. The HW45 has a much stronger spring and a much more substantial cocking lever doesn't it? The HW45 also has much less 'lost volume' in the transfer port so is more efficient than the Tempest. I'm not knocking the Tempest by the way, I have two and genuinely love them, but they are not powerful air pistols.

If the new Tempest does get nearer 6 ft/lbs then they have done some sort of redesign on it, but this is supposed to be a remake of the Tempest, not a different airgun, isn't it?

Sure, I was scoffing at the claim on the Webley site that the Tempest is a 6 ft/lbs pistol. I own a Webley Mk1, a Senior, a Premier, two Tempests, two Nemesis, an HW45 and numerous other pistols, so I know Webley pistols pretty well, and I know full well that it is well nigh impossible to tune the Tempest and Hurricane into powerful (5-plus ft/lbs) air pistols. If these 'new' Tempests are made to the original design, they won't be near six ft/lbs. It's not a question about scoffing at things I haven't seen here, I've seen loads of Tempests and Hurricanes over the years... Why are some people on here so happy to spread what looks like nothing more than marketing hype from Webley?

I must say I think Rob is right; I'd be gobsmacked if a Tempest could do 6 ft.lbs without severe (and short lived) dieselling. If the swept volume supported that power level people would have produced tuned examples doing that power level and we'd have heard about them. They typically produce around 3 ft.lbs give or take, .22 a little more - my .22 does about 3.3. Webley are claiming a near doubling of the muzzle energy. If they'd said 4 ft.lbs I'd have raised an eyebrow. At 5 I'd be very dubious. 6? Come on! As Scotty on the Enterprise might say, they cannae change the laws of physics!
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

Paul55 is offline I get by with a little help from my friends
    Rob M, respect where it's due. Just read an old post you put up about said pistol. Pretty dam**d good

Paul
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55
    Been there, bought it, tried it, sold it