Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My new verminator is rusty!

'Deben' have been around longer than you have 'smartwave' -

Be careful with your insinuations, they can end-up biting your arse

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Johnstone View Post
    'Deben' have been around longer than you have 'smartwave' -

Be careful with your insinuations, they can end-up biting your arse
    Being around longer doesn't mean anything, does it?

Quote Originally Posted by smartwave View Post
    Hi Smartwave, ask for Liam at Deben he will give you straight answers and is very helpfull.Rgds Gerald.

Quote Originally Posted by smartwave View Post

Deben are anything but dishonest. Any big company may attract gripes but I've never heard anything negative about Deben in this respect, and if there were I'd jave heard it..

Quote Originally Posted by GERALD BUTLER View Post
    Hi Smartwave, ask for Liam at Deben he will give you straight answers and is very helpfull.Rgds Gerald.

Yes I 100% agree.....Liam is one of the most helpful guys in the airgun buisness I know

i can say, i have had excellent service from Deben always helpful. most orders del next day , and good products, i would use them again &again.
    atb brian

I've seen this happen; gun dealer has a rack of guns, people come in and handle them, touching the blueing, gun goes back in the rack without being wiped over. Acidic sweat from being handled ruins the blueing. Have to keep yer wits about you these days, always. Regards .... Geek
    PauL H. - Shotgoon
    Brownings: 1999 Ultra XS; 2004 B525 Field; 2010 Maxus Hunter: Air Arms 1998 Mk.2 Pro-Target, 2001 Mk.2 Pro-Sport & 2003 S400C

Yes, that was my thinking 'gungeek', I know CH Westons carry quite a lot of FX stock (usually) this one may have been handled by some herbert (who'd just thrown his fish'n'chip wrapper down in the street) then gone back on the rack without receiving a wipe down...some time ago.

Yes, that was my thinking 'gungeek', I know CH Westons carry quite a lot of FX stock (usually) this one may have been handled by some herbert (who'd just thrown his fish'n'chip wrapper down in the street) then gone back on the rack without receiving a wipe down...some time ago.
    That's what i thought at first, but it wasn't on display and some of the rusty spots are between the barrel and front air cylinder. Not somewhere you could easily leave a finger print.

They seem to be a popular gun at the mo, so if it didn't happen in the shop (not there long enough). I can only assume it left the factory like it??.
    Theoben Rapid Mk2 .20 - Air Arms TX200 HC .177
    FX Verminator .177 - Theoben Evolution .177

Glad I've read positive comments about Deben, Looks like the only weak link may be FX?
    Theoben Rapid Mk2 .20 - Air Arms TX200 HC .177
    FX Verminator .177 - Theoben Evolution .177

They have the 16mm shrouded style barrel James, but I've not heard of this problem before (knackered blueing) with any FX guns. I recently bought an older, s/hand FX with the shrouded barrel - its had a few knocks & scratches like any hunting gun but there's no rust spots!

I can assure you that its an unusual problem,

FX rusting

They have the 16mm shrouded style barrel James, but I've not heard of this problem before (knackered blueing) with any FX guns. I recently bought an older, s/hand FX with the shrouded barrel - its had a few knocks & scratches like any hunting gun but there's no rust spots!

I can assure you that its an unusual problem,
    Hi Ian,

I my little experience FX's rusting is not an unusual problem. My first PCP was an FX Cutlass (sometimes marketed as SWIFT) and two of my friends owned the Gladiator version.

We all had an issue with rust in 3 main areas i.e. the barrel, the safety knob and the power knob. We used to wipe them down a couple times a week but the problem would persist. The gun would still perform faultlessly but I just could not be bothered any longer so I traded in mine for another brand.

I do not want to criticise the brand as my Cutlass was one of the most stunning, accurate and balanced rifles I ever had but it might be worth asking some FX owners of their particular experiences.

Our problems could have been down to a bad batch, dealer storage facilities, transit issues....

Good luck with the replacement,

Petros
    2 FAC Rapid MKIIs,2 FAC Rapid MFRs & 1 FAC Daystate Air Ranger. Have done many good deals with several good guys on the BBS

Sea Air ? In fact that 'older gun' I mentioned is a Superswift/Cutlas, I would estimate it at 4-5 years old & like I said no rust despite evidence of the odd scratch on the shrouding.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Johnstone;
    Sea Air ?
    Not all Cypriots live by the beach mate Altough I do try to spend the majority of my time there

Having said that after a day´s hunting by the coast even my Theoben barrel needs a wipe down as rust starts to form the next day.

Cheers,

Petros
    2 FAC Rapid MKIIs,2 FAC Rapid MFRs & 1 FAC Daystate Air Ranger. Have done many good deals with several good guys on the BBS

Quote Originally Posted by GERALD BUTLER View Post
    I'll second that, Liam is very helpful and knowledgeable.