Thread: Books/guidance for a Novice?

Books/guidance for a Novice?

I am looking to get into BP pistol shooting, but I'm a complete beginner.

I've completed my Probationary period at a club and been accepted as a member so the next step is applying for my FAC.

In the meantime can anyone recommend any good books/magazines/web sites (other than this one of course ) where I can get the basics?

I hang around at the club when they are shooting BP, but without my own kit I feel really out of it waiting for someone to offer you a go.

As I said, I'm a complete beginner and I know nuffin' but as with all things, a good knowledge of the basic principles will prevent me from wasting money!

Thanks
    Frank

There are a few books around, I liked this one:

The Definitive Guide to Shooting Muzzle-Loading Pistols by Derek Fuller

available on Amazon

see also this earlier thread:
    http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=345056

regards
    Nigel

davederrick is offline With our thoughts, we make the world
    It really depends on the club, mine INSIST on training you in everything & usually start with BP revolver, use the club gun & shoot it for a few times supervised & then un-supervised. Does your club train its members ?
    "I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959)

Leyland in darkest Lancashire. HERE BE DRAGONS

Qualification

Quote Originally Posted by davederrick View Post
    It really depends on the club, mine INSIST on training you in everything & usually start with BP revolver, use the club gun & shoot it for a few times supervised & then un-supervised. Does your club train its members ?
    After a recent accident, where someone (through ignorance) used nitro in a BP gun, my club insist on all BP shooters having to be trained.

Another good book is "The Black Powder Handbook". Anything by Sam Fadala is useful.
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch

Quote Originally Posted by fcat
    There are a few books around, I liked this one:
    The Definitive Guide to Shooting Muzzle-Loading Pistols by Derek Fuller.
    Thanks - I've ordered it through Amazon

Quote Originally Posted by davederrick

There is quite a lengthy Probationary period, but it covers Range safety and safe handling rather than specific firearms. I'll ask if there is any formal training available. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by lilguy43uk
    Another good book is "The Black Powder Handbook". Anything by Sam Fadala is useful.
    Thanks - I've ordered it from Amazon.
    Frank

davederrick is offline With our thoughts, we make the world
    Quote Originally Posted by Effigy View Post
    I'll ask if there is any formal training available.
    They really should, nothing beats hands on experience.
    "I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959)