View Poll Results: UBC Competitions - do you take part?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I do take part

20 57.14%
  • No, I have no pistol

3 8.57%
  • No, I have nowhere to shoot

3 8.57%
  • No, I am not interested in the competitions

1 2.86%
  • No, for other reasons

8 22.86%

Thread: UBC Competitions - do you take part?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Targets

Hi Brutuz
    Pretty good targets.
    Three minor snags, First is that although I like them I need permission to put them on the Bunny because they belong to someon else. If you want to see them on the Bunny that's what the site is for so if you like I will see if the copyright owners are happy to have them published. Second I need to check to see if they will accomodate a .22 without cutting 3 score zones. Third you have units on a page which do not divide by 5 or 10. These are the normal number of shots in a contest.
    I DO like the paper saving by squeezing on more targets but "Formal" contests are not interested in money or resource saving. Only in accurate shooting and in an online contest there is no real way of judging truly accurately the fall of shot. Even scanning the targets is not infallible.

However the UBC is flexible and Mike B got his favorite range and type of contest online so why not formally ask for the contest you want.
    Be prepared to have to invigilate it and do the scoring because Paddy is already up to his ar$e in alligators with what we have at present.
    Regards
    Jim D
    Globus magnus volvere
    trepidex mea non est!

Some interesting points, guys. Brutuz made the point that he'd rather not faff around looking for stuff and then emailing scores - does anyone else feel that this is a bar to participating?

The reason I ask is that it wouldn't be too difficult (Right, Tony? ) to tidy the comp section of the UBC site up to incorporate a one-click downloadable target and an Excel based scorecard for each discipline upon which you could enter your details and then hit a button to submit?

It would be a simple copypasta excercise for the comp managers to update a master scoresheet and leader board in any given category, and would therefore save us some time, I would think.

What do you guys and gals think? No point in doing it if only one person would be enticed by it...

BigEars Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
    Some interesting points, guys. Brutuz made the point that he'd rather not faff around looking for stuff and then emailing scores - does anyone else feel that this is a bar to participating?

The reason I ask is that it wouldn't be too difficult (Right, Tony? ) to tidy the comp section of the UBC site up to incorporate a one-click downloadable target and an Excel based scorecard for each discipline upon which you could enter your details and then hit a button to submit?

It would be a simple copypasta excercise for the comp managers to update a master scoresheet and leader board in any given category, and would therefore save us some time, I would think.

What do you guys and gals think? No point in doing it if only one person would be enticed by it...
    I'm more than content with the way things are. I'm just grateful that someone is organising this stuff for us.

Red face Agree

Quote Originally Posted by nyamazan View Post
    Not computer literate myself, so things like excell, copypasta and so on are foreign to me. Can only just manage an e-mail!

As long as it's changed to something I can understand without a computer course being needed I don't mind. Seems pretty easy as it is, to me at least.
    I to can just manage an e mail (well err sometimes)...mike...

BeerJam is offline Loser of the 2011 'Barn Door Trophy'.
    Headley, Hampshire (behind the graveyard!)
    Quote Originally Posted by nyamazan View Post
    Not computer literate myself, so things like excell, copypasta and so on are foreign to me. Can only just manage an e-mail!

As long as it's changed to something I can understand without a computer course being needed I don't mind. Seems pretty easy as it is, to me at least.
    I think that Mike is suggesting that the competition section of the website could be set up so that;

1. you go to the web page for that competition and download the target (which will be a simple one click operation)

2. you shoot your target

3. you go back to the web page and fill in your scores.

job done.

Personally, I am happy with the current arrangements. And, as someone has already said, I am very grateful that the organisers are working so hard to make these competitions available.
    However, if making some changes means that more members can participate, then I am all for it .

Cheers, Mark
    Proud to be a member of; MVAC and Countryside Alliance
    "...... I'm good with the science, but rubbish with the gun "

My son and I only take part in Snooker Comp, because we enjoy the "fun" target, when I aim at a bullseye target I get more serious about it, all we want is a bit of fun and banter and thats exactly what we get.

Thanks to all involved

Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by smcc View Post
    My son and I only take part in Snooker Comp, because we enjoy the "fun" target, when I aim at a bullseye target I get more serious about it, all we want is a bit of fun and banter and thats exactly what we get.

Thanks to all involved

Stuart
    That is great Stuart. I think you would also like the Police Pistol & Sideshoot competitions, if you have multishot pistols. They are great fun too

Cheers, Mark

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerJam View Post
    That is great Stuart. I think you would also like the Police Pistol & Sideshoot competitions, if you have multishot pistols. They are great fun too

Cheers, Mark
    You're right, he would.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    You're right, he would.

Jim
    I'll look into it, as long as it's not too complicated: I'll give it a go

Those belong to me Jim, I made them.

Using pellets skirt down to check if they fit within the rings. Centers have tighter rings though. I use those for target practice. For comps a few bulls should be erased.

pic

pic

Feel free to use them on your website.

Since a lot of members prefer to keep the way to enter as it is now, I'd suggest to start a mailinglist and invite all members to participate each first of the month. That could wake up a lot of sleeping members.

Amongst those sleeping members myself, this topic woke me up. Visited the website, printed the targets (not that hard after all) and gave it a try. I can't enter this one though, have got to alter my shooting range first because it's half a yard short.

UBC target

I won't be able to assist with new tasks, the ones I'm doing now are more than enough, chairman/webmaster/admin for a motorcycle club takes a more than fair amount of time, admining the Crosman pistol board not that much but some time too and mrs Brutuz and I both work 40+ hours each week... There might be someone else reading this topic that does have the time to contribute. Early to bed, early to rise, no jolly good if you don't advertise *grin* That's how I manage the mc club, 5 board members, a touringcoordinator for each region, a 2nd webmaster for the tech stuff and app 7 others that manage other tasks.

Thumbs up for the UBC Team, keep up the good work

Quote Originally Posted by Brutuz View Post
    ...Amongst those sleeping members myself, this topic woke me up. Visited the website, printed the targets (not that hard after all) and gave it a try....
    That is a result Brutuz, I had not thought of this thread as a wake up call but am very pleased that it has lead to you joining in

Cheers, Mark

Thumbs up Poll

I think the whole poll has been a result, i hope more join in & that the club
    continues to evolve, with thanks of course to those who give up their time to run it.Of course it will always be diffacult to please All of us, just do what our
    government never did Listen ATB...mike...

Paul55 is offline I get by with a little help from my friends
    I am quite happy with things as they are. I am most appreciative of everyone from UBC that gives their time freely so we all can have some fun.

Yes, a downloadable target and scoring system would be nice, but I don't see how that would bring more people on board.

I have only entered a few comps, 3 to be exact, so I am still finding my feet, like I should have PM'd my Police scores not let them be common knowledge. Also shouting about how I got a Bronze in the 10mtr Comp and not thanking Mike for running the comp. Sorry just got a bit excited. My point is that each comp only took around 1/2hr max. I do feel people have other issues apart from available time and the method of score returning.

Bit of a ramble this, but I hope you can see where I'm coming from.

Paul
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55
    Been there, bought it, tried it, sold it

Hi thanks for all your comments.

I've been really these past few weeks.

I will go over what has been said & try & come up with ideas following from your suggestions.

Yes it does take up alot of our time, however if there is still a real interest from you guys & gals then it's worth it.

The idea of an automated scoresheet is out of my league I can see it being much quicker for me to process, but I'm happy in doing the admin side.

The score card is a good option so I'll see if I can knock on up. I will look again at the comp website to see if I can make it simplier. However I'm simple, so if I can work it out the rest of you should

Regards
    Paddy.
    BE-HAPPY-OK