View Poll Results: UBC Competitions - do you take part?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I do take part

20 57.14%
  • No, I have no pistol

3 8.57%
  • No, I have nowhere to shoot

3 8.57%
  • No, I am not interested in the competitions

1 2.86%
  • No, for other reasons

8 22.86%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: UBC Competitions - do you take part?

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by BeerJam View Post
    Hi Brutuz, thank you for making that point.

What do you find complicated? Is it the emailing of your scores or is it working out your scores?

Would you find it easier if there were a form on the website that you could enter your scores on, rather than sending an email?

Cheers, Mark
    There's a LOT of info on the UBC website...

I'd rather see a weekly pistol comp post on this board showing that week's target to download and print, print it, shoot it, take a picture of it, upload it like this one, post a message in the topic like:

Crosman 2300S open sights
    Crosman Wadcutters .177
    Range 5 meters
    Time taken 4 min 41 sec
    Score 147/160

+ a link to my target

At the end of the week the UBC official can check all entries, validate #1 #2 and #3 and publish the results.

Note: I don't like funny targets, prefer normal bulls...

Standard Bulls

Hi Brutuz
    Standard Bullseyes? You need this page.
    Have a hunt round. The site was intended to let people find what they wanted and see what others are shooting at.

Target Bunny
    Globus magnus volvere
    trepidex mea non est!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Target Bunny View Post
    Hi Brutuz
    Standard Bullseyes? You need this page.
    Have a hunt round. The site was intended to let people find what they wanted and see what others are shooting at.

Target Bunny
    Those are very colorfull, great collection Target Bunny, I have some of those printed at home, most of the time I use this one, based on this one.

This would be my favorite for a weekly UBC competition: clicky

Exclamation Ubc comps??

The reasons we enter the comps is many & varied, mine!,due to domestic reasons i have to be @ home a lot,and work nights inc weekends so can't always get to my club even monthly, so online comps suit me although as a club shooter i do wonder if the FUN side is over done, surely we all shoot because we enjoy it otherwise whats the point. Despite getting on a bit i'm still very competative, I sometimes get the impression thats frowned on
    as not fun!! Health issues held me back for a couple of months, but i'm ok now
    not sure where to shoot in future Cos i want to be competitive...mike...
    PS..a non shooting friend says over emphasis on fun isnt very safety biased to him?

Paul55 is offline I get by with a little help from my friends
    Hi Brutuz, I can see where you are coming from, but I think the need to take a picture is going too far. The whole point of the eMail comps is to have fun and if you are going to falsify scores (cheat) you are only cheating yourself. It's run on honesty.

I personally like all the different targets and shooting ideas. I took up pistols for some fun and the UBC gives it to me in Spades.

I can fully understand other peoples problems and I do sympathise. I have 2 local gun clubs. One is really set up for FT which is not for me. I was told that I could turn up anytime and use the range and that they did carry out a few Pistol Comps, but they were really a Rifle Club. The other one evidently has a 10mtr Pistol Evening each Wednesday. I have tried 3 or 4 times to contact them but to date no one has returned to me.

I found the UBC via this BBS and it is perfect for me. I am very fortunate in that I live in a close full of bungalows. We all have 6' fences/walls so I am not overlooked at all. My range is the length of my garage, 6yds means I have to stand outside about 3'. The back wall compliments my backstop.

Paul
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55
    Been there, bought it, tried it, sold it

I enjoy seeing other's targets and compare those to mine

Nothing to do with cheating.

Didn't mean to infer you, or anyone, was cheating I can see your point about seeing the targets for comparison though. Just not for me.

Paul
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55

Targets

Hi Brutuz
    Pretty good targets.
    Three minor snags, First is that although I like them I need permission to put them on the Bunny because they belong to someon else. If you want to see them on the Bunny that's what the site is for so if you like I will see if the copyright owners are happy to have them published. Second I need to check to see if they will accomodate a .22 without cutting 3 score zones. Third you have units on a page which do not divide by 5 or 10. These are the normal number of shots in a contest.
    I DO like the paper saving by squeezing on more targets but "Formal" contests are not interested in money or resource saving. Only in accurate shooting and in an online contest there is no real way of judging truly accurately the fall of shot. Even scanning the targets is not infallible.

However the UBC is flexible and Mike B got his favorite range and type of contest online so why not formally ask for the contest you want.
    Be prepared to have to invigilate it and do the scoring because Paddy is already up to his ar$e in alligators with what we have at present.
    Regards
    Jim D
    Globus magnus volvere
    trepidex mea non est!

Some interesting points, guys. Brutuz made the point that he'd rather not faff around looking for stuff and then emailing scores - does anyone else feel that this is a bar to participating?

The reason I ask is that it wouldn't be too difficult (Right, Tony? ) to tidy the comp section of the UBC site up to incorporate a one-click downloadable target and an Excel based scorecard for each discipline upon which you could enter your details and then hit a button to submit?

It would be a simple copypasta excercise for the comp managers to update a master scoresheet and leader board in any given category, and would therefore save us some time, I would think.

What do you guys and gals think? No point in doing it if only one person would be enticed by it...

BigEars Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
    Some interesting points, guys. Brutuz made the point that he'd rather not faff around looking for stuff and then emailing scores - does anyone else feel that this is a bar to participating?

The reason I ask is that it wouldn't be too difficult (Right, Tony? ) to tidy the comp section of the UBC site up to incorporate a one-click downloadable target and an Excel based scorecard for each discipline upon which you could enter your details and then hit a button to submit?

It would be a simple copypasta excercise for the comp managers to update a master scoresheet and leader board in any given category, and would therefore save us some time, I would think.

What do you guys and gals think? No point in doing it if only one person would be enticed by it...
    I'm more than content with the way things are. I'm just grateful that someone is organising this stuff for us.

Red face Agree

Quote Originally Posted by nyamazan View Post
    Not computer literate myself, so things like excell, copypasta and so on are foreign to me. Can only just manage an e-mail!

As long as it's changed to something I can understand without a computer course being needed I don't mind. Seems pretty easy as it is, to me at least.
    I to can just manage an e mail (well err sometimes)...mike...

BeerJam is offline Loser of the 2011 'Barn Door Trophy'.
    Headley, Hampshire (behind the graveyard!)
    Quote Originally Posted by nyamazan View Post
    Not computer literate myself, so things like excell, copypasta and so on are foreign to me. Can only just manage an e-mail!

As long as it's changed to something I can understand without a computer course being needed I don't mind. Seems pretty easy as it is, to me at least.
    I think that Mike is suggesting that the competition section of the website could be set up so that;

1. you go to the web page for that competition and download the target (which will be a simple one click operation)

2. you shoot your target

3. you go back to the web page and fill in your scores.

job done.

Personally, I am happy with the current arrangements. And, as someone has already said, I am very grateful that the organisers are working so hard to make these competitions available.
    However, if making some changes means that more members can participate, then I am all for it .

Cheers, Mark
    Proud to be a member of; MVAC and Countryside Alliance
    "...... I'm good with the science, but rubbish with the gun "

My son and I only take part in Snooker Comp, because we enjoy the "fun" target, when I aim at a bullseye target I get more serious about it, all we want is a bit of fun and banter and thats exactly what we get.

Thanks to all involved

Stuart

I am quite happy with things as they are. I am most appreciative of everyone from UBC that gives their time freely so we all can have some fun.

Yes, a downloadable target and scoring system would be nice, but I don't see how that would bring more people on board.

I have only entered a few comps, 3 to be exact, so I am still finding my feet, like I should have PM'd my Police scores not let them be common knowledge. Also shouting about how I got a Bronze in the 10mtr Comp and not thanking Mike for running the comp. Sorry just got a bit excited. My point is that each comp only took around 1/2hr max. I do feel people have other issues apart from available time and the method of score returning.

Bit of a ramble this, but I hope you can see where I'm coming from.

Paul
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55

BeerJam is offline Loser of the 2011 'Barn Door Trophy'.
    Headley, Hampshire (behind the graveyard!)
    Quote Originally Posted by smcc View Post
    My son and I only take part in Snooker Comp, because we enjoy the "fun" target, when I aim at a bullseye target I get more serious about it, all we want is a bit of fun and banter and thats exactly what we get.

Thanks to all involved

Stuart
    That is great Stuart. I think you would also like the Police Pistol & Sideshoot competitions, if you have multishot pistols. They are great fun too

Cheers, Mark
    Proud to be a member of; MVAC and Countryside Alliance
    "...... I'm good with the science, but rubbish with the gun "