Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Airgunaid

The power thing and that they didn't look that great compared to the smooth lines of other rifles at the time put me off buying one. They were expensive too. But all that custom work was tempting especially if it could tack drive.

It was a rifle to have and does make it a rare beast indeed.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by BTDT View Post

I'll add only that Gareth is going to hammer Cloggy into the ground like a tent peg when he sees Cloggy's Relum Tele remark.
    ... Am slipping into my "bash a black puddin' chomper" special underpants and cape as we speak (and that's scary) ...

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post

11 minutes ......

I'm sure we can do better.
    ... took me that long to find my zap button (so watchit) ... and ...

I would have loved to have taken the rifle apart and photographed the internals but, unfortunately, Gareth was standing right next to me the whole time.
    ... and that is why ...

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    You're bang on the money with the 10.5 ft. lb. putting people off buying the SP-5. The daft thing is that the contemporary air rifles they were using themselves were quite possibly producing far less, but they didn't know it.
    Too right. The HW35, much vaunted as a powerhouse, often made only 9 ft/lbs in .177. Alot of people would assess the 'power' of a gun just on the basis of how 'butch' it was (hence the reputation of the massive-handful but 8ft/lbs Relum Tornado) and also the noise & kick on discharge. Probably why the HW35 outsold the BSF B55/60/70 series, the BSFs really were full-power guns but just looked too small and slender to convince the public. And before someone starts going on about the Rekord, no-one really cared that much about triggers in those days, most were happy with the BSA unit on the Airsporter, the BSF unit is much better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Too right. The HW35, much vaunted as a powerhouse, often made only 9 ft/lbs in .177. Alot of people would assess the 'power' of a gun just on the basis of how 'butch' it was (hence the reputation of the massive-handful but 8ft/lbs Relum Tornado) and also the noise & kick on discharge. Probably why the HW35 outsold the BSF B55/60/70 series, the BSFs really were full-power guns but just looked too small and slender to convince the public. And before someone starts going on about the Rekord, no-one really cared that much about triggers in those days, most were happy with the BSA unit on the Airsporter, the BSF unit is much better than that.
    Oh SO correct. Couldn't have put it better myself.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Hi Paul, yep, although now dated, they were state of the art 30 years back . Doubt our Jim will be unhappy with the trigger however, as the gun he got to play with, was mine as above, and it is in tip-top fettle for what it is, and it's age . Atb: G.
    Thats good to know Gareth as its yours it should be a Good Un "Jim Tyler" what a Guy! regards Paul
    Speaking of power Alistair have you got that large 3lbs chocolate Webley made yet

Breaking news: The November edition featuring Gareth's SP-5 was passed for press yesterday.

Stay tuned for more news as it breaks - only on AirgunBBS.

Thank's for that Gareth it's great to know there are people
    out there with the knowledge and still the gun's that I lusted
    after as a kid
    I don't think the pcp's of today have the same Character as the springer's of old.
    Jim Tyler and Fred Grimwade were my hero's in AGW,it's ashame the sporting airgun magazine isn't around today also.
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by richywilk View Post
    it's ashame the sporting airgun magazine isn't around today also.
    Yep indeed -- a mighty fine periodical it was, too . But we still have AGW thank Gawd, and that regularly hosts J-T's ramblings, so all is not lost (yet ). Ha ha. Glad you liked my brief bits of info . Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

He's...

...a leg-end you know

He's a something end ...

Ding...

...dong, ding, dong

Order!!

Quote Originally Posted by richywilk View Post
    Jim Tyler and Fred Grimwade were my hero's in AGW,it's ashame the sporting airgun magazine isn't around today also.
    Rich
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Yep indeed -- a mighty fine periodical it was, too . But we still have AGW thank Gawd, and that regularly hosts J-T's ramblings, so all is not lost (yet ). Ha ha. Glad you liked my brief bits of info . Atb: G.
    Personally I found Sporting Airgun magazine to be pretty boring. Now, Sporting Air Rifle could hold my attention for hours. ( Lets see if we can break the 11 minute record.)

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Sporting Air Rifle could hold my attention for hours. ( Lets see if we can break the 11 minute record.)

ATB
    Ian
    ...Two mins and ZAP you am in de zapping zone Mr Pedantic ...

I...

...used to enjoy SAR but only after picking myself up off the floor having collapsed in hysterical laughter over the editors picture

I have a complete set in original binders doncha know