Thread: Anyone looking for a club in the South-west Midlands?

Anyone looking for a club in the South-West Midlands?

Or more specifically South Worcestershire, North Gloucestershire and Herefordshire.

I guess like some others, our club, Ledbury RPC, is suffering from a dwindling membership, and by their own admission, an increasingly geriatric one

The club needs new members, and me and my mate John (Lawstar on this BBS) thought we'd have a go at 'advertising' it here.

There are two places to shoot; a heated indoor one with a 25 (and a bit more) yard range which can take maybe five or six at once. Attached to this is a clubroom type thing to have a brew and what have you - comfy chairs, and a big table to rest your elbows or chin on, as appropriate.

And a bog.

The best thing we have, in our opinion at least, is the outdoor range. This is in a quarry, cut-in getting on for a hundred feet on three sides. For want of a camera, it looks a bit like this, and the business end looks like this. Four of the six positions have permanent rubber-covered metal tables with adjustable swivelly seats.

The quarry bottom is flat, about 20-odd yards wide with concrete pads at 25, 50 and 75 yards, just over 100 yards long to the sleeper and sand backstop (with an eighty foot rock-face behind) and loads of space to put out spinners and tin chickens. It's very rarely really windy in there, as it's so sheltered; a lot of the time it's calm enough to build playing-card castles. Best of all, it doesn't matter if it pisses down. It's a brilliant, secluded spot - there were Peregrines nesting there this spring

At present the indoor range is available to use (sharing) at least three evenings during the week, and we're getting one night as a dedicated airgun night imminently. The quarry is available essentially all the time for airguns (there is one Sunday each month when the black powder blokes go up there); the only proviso being two people minimum, at least one of whom needs to be a full member.

Membership subs are £85 per annum, with concessions available. There's a six month probationary period, I think. There are no range fees for members; it's about three quid for visitors.

If this is of any interest at all, please PM either me or Lawstar.

If anyone needs any more detail, we can ask the right people.

This has been a public information feature

Cheers

Pete

Muggins had to draw the pictures on account of forgetting the camera
    Last edited by 12" phut; 15-09-2004 at 07:40 AM.

Just one little bump please

Who needs a camera with artistic skill like this ? :-) Have a bump on me.
    Derek

Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk but originally a Brummie
    Yes cracking sketches Peter, and not a ring from the bottom of a tea mug anywhere in sight.

At least we now know what you do in between biscuits.

If I was still in the Midlands Peter I'd support this like a shot, but it is a tad too far away methinks.

Good luck anyway,

Andrew

BobFrog Guest
    Pete,

Excellent drawings.

I'm only down between Malvern and Worcester, but have recently joined the Worcester Norton Club so I can move up to rim/centrefire rifles (still keeping my air though).

Is the 100yard range cleared for anything bigger than air/smallbore ? I ask as Worcester Norton only have a 50yard range and it gets very busy up there.

Peregrines in there as well ? Great news, there was a nesting pair up in Tank Quarry as well this year.

Cheers

BobFrog

Bob

Thanks for the response, mate

The range is cleared for bigger stuff than smallbore; that happens at present one Sunday a month, though we think they intend to go to two.

Busy is just what it's not at this place

I can get precise details if you'd like - let me know.

Cheers

Pete

And thanks to Andrew and Derek for the bumps

It looks an excellent place (very nice drawings BTW, mine always come out like I've been drunk in charge of a pencil ) and I'd love to pop down for an evening's shoot in the week, is it walkable from ledbury train station?

BTW BobFrog there's also a club just outside Worcester near Sinton Green.

Only Sunday's I'm afraid but it is set in very nice woodland and offers a good HFT course with some very challenging shooting (especially since some bright spark stuck a 25mm reducer at 60 yards recently! )

Altho' Pete's place in ledbury maybe more useful to you as we only do air rifles, no rimfire/centrefire I'm afraid.

Let me know if I can be of any help!

We dont mind if it rains snows or blows a gale once the targets are put out we fire from under cover, and we are looking forward to the winter. You may think we are sissies,
    All I can say is with a hot drink we don't give a dame.
    John
    PS I am 69 going on 70

Sniper 296 Guest
    YHEM

I may be interested. I live in Gloucester so its only a half hour drive and we dont seem to have decent airgun place in gloucester.

Sniper 296 Guest
    Could u pm me with more details thanks

Mart