Thread: So what happened to the Jackal?

So what happened to the Jackal?

Hi,
    I wondered if anyone knows what happened to the Jackal airgun? I've read how it all started which was fascinating but why did Air Arms drop it? It would seem that they were popular and they are certainly sought after now so what caused its demise? Also what happened to the moulds? Would all that have been destroyed or sold on?....or is it sitting somewhere...?

Sad demise

It's a story that's been told a few times on here, but........

Sussex Armoury made the Jackals in their own factory. NSP engineering (a seperate company) supported them extensively.

When SA went into receivership I think because they grew so fast and stretched themselves financially, NSP continued to market the Jackals for a short while.

NSP then created a seperate branch under the main company that they called Air Arms to continue with upgraded versions of the SA Jackals (Hi-power and Firepower) and they renamed the AR7 as the Combat. The Parabellum had been dropped some time before this.

AA went on to produce a number of woodstocked guns based on the same upgraded action.

The Air Arms story is one of continued success today.

The moulds appear to have gone (I have been to the factory and most of the original suppliers), but plenty of stock was sold at auction by the receivers. I have been lucky enough to aquire lots of it! A number of people (Gareth, Pad.E and myself) have complete abs stocks tucked away for rainy days. If you want one then let me know, I have 40 or so Parabellum and Hi-power stocks. Gareth was also offering one up a little while ago.

I have reams of information on Sussex Armoury (as does Pad.E), i'm sure both of us would be happy to share if you want copies of anything

Mike

Thanks for the information Mike. My first real air rifle was a Jackal in the 80s, it finally broke and I dont know what became of it...I am awaiting on another bought from this forum so I hope to relive some happy days. As for a stock I would be very interested.
    Do you have any idea what year production ceased?
    Thanks again.

Has anyone transplanted another make of sidelever into the Jackal stock?

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulverston View Post
    Has anyone transplanted another make of sidelever into the Jackal stock?
    Pad E. has made a S200/Jackal hybrid. Might be interesting sticking one of the big RWS/Diana sidelevers into a set of Jackal furniture.

I think the military-style guns were seen as being a bit childish by the airgun fraternity of the time, and also they made a massive BANG when they went off because of all that hollow plastic. This was even worse with the short-barrel AR7, which added muzzle blast to the equation. In the days before silencers this meant you would get ONE shot on your hunting trip with a Jackal. 'Real' shooters wanted something like a quality centrefire stalking rifle - a HW35 Export, a Feinwerkbau Sport or a BSA Airsporter 'S'. Most people would only own one top-of-the-range rifle, and a military look-a-like wouldn't satisfy. Also there was something slightly sinister about them, reminded me of the assault rifles used by all parties in the conflict in Northern Ireland. I don't think any military lookalike rifle has sold for very long, and they certainly wouldnt have a market now because airsoft has filled that need far better than any airgun could. The Jackals I saw always seemed to be a bit chunky and crude and not as nice as a BSA for example, and while they were powerful I think they were seen as being indifferent in the accuracy stakes. Interesting piece of history though, the ASI El-Gamo Paratrooper was another paramiltary rifle of the time which is worth a look at - suprisingly accurate for a 'plinker'. Good luck with the mission!
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 01-10-2009 at 09:34 PM.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by verybigmike View Post

A number of people (Gareth, Pad.E and myself) have complete abs stocks tucked away for rainy days. If you want one then let me know, I have 40 or so Parabellum and Hi-power stocks. Gareth was also offering one up a little while ago.
    Tiz true, but would rather find a lonely SA or AA action to tart up and fit in it if truth be known, but in the absence of that, if it would help a fellow collector get one they own up-n-running, sell I would, but not on the back of this thread, or I'd have to ban myself for a week . Ha ha. Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Hi,
    its amazing that someone had the foresight to buy the stocks! Stupidly I left what I think was an air arms side lever action at a tip where my mate works-it just looked beyond repair-after all where would you ever get a spare stock I thought....damn it!

How much can one buy a Woodsman for? Are they VERY rare and desirable or ir it that no one has any? Never seen one myself....plinked away in the rain like a kid with the new Hi Power....its a bit rough but Ive err had worse!

Kloppville- 10,533 miles from Lake Mulwala.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulverston View Post
    Hi,
    I wondered if anyone knows what happened to the Jackal airgun? .?
    Pad-E's bought 'em all!

Sorry, I'm about as usefull as a chocolate tea pot!

Cheers.

Roy.
    If it moves.....shoot it!..If it don't move.....shoot it in case it tries to!!!
    Light travels faster than sound....this is why I appear bright until you hear me speak!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Pad E. has made a S200/Jackal hybrid. Might be interesting sticking one of the big RWS/Diana sidelevers into a set of Jackal furniture.
    Does the Jackal et al have the same action as the SE90? Is so, the action of the Diana sidelevers is much longer than that of the Jackal. And I mean much longer, not by a couple of millimetres or even centimetres.

Cheers,

-Topi

Would a Tracker or Osprey fit?

Life after Jackals

Not sure of the timelines as I dispensed with my period Airgun mags , but from printed advetrs of the time , I saw the Jackal resurected by a Gunshop as their 'own special 'sometime about 1990 , then later in about 93 , saw the Spanish firm Norica advertising their wares - and a Jackal was included in the lineup .
    Suggest esp as latter , that they bought the rights to the Jackal sidelever or at least made and sold it under licence there in Spain .

mmm lets see - if we all chipped in together , we could get Norica to do a special 100 off Ltd Edition ......
    " WHEN YOU'RE GOING TO SHOOT - SHOOT , DON'T TALK ! "

Excellent idea Stanton...that is a rifle I would buy new!