Thread: bsa light[rescued]

rustington/littlehampton,riviera of the south

bsa light[rescued]

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/e...n/IMG_1972.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/e...n/IMG_1974.jpg
    just picked up this poor devil,returned from south africa in a container load of odd airifles,shes marked up as L705s in .177 and as you can see one or two mods ie butt plate with flanges ;shes apart and ready for in serious indepth refurb starting tomorrow .anyone care to say how old and if the s is rare?
    incidently after a litre of oil she fires and the spring looks good.looks like another £25 quid to old knibbsy for sights though!.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/e...n/IMG_2130.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/e...n/IMG_2131.jpg
    and how she is now
    Last edited by red bob; 05-10-2009 at 08:24 PM.
    [FWB124s]-[ORIG45]-[relum rescue ctr]
    I CAN RESIST EVERYTHING EXCEPT AN FWB,

as you can see guy i have my work cut out on this one,what spurs me on is the fact she cocks and shoots fine[now]now how much do i dare rub down the action those rust pock marks are on the deep side.

What a worthwhile project to bring that old timer back to life. I bet it could tell a few stories if it could talk. Please keep us up to date with your progress.
    Barry

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by red bob View Post
    as you can see guy i have my work cut out on this one,what spurs me on is the fact she cocks and shoots fine[now]now how much do i dare rub down the action those rust pock marks are on the deep side.
    If you can find a friend with a lathe.......turn down a piece of wood with a step to fit snugly in the cylinder, then hold on the wood in the chuck......start with 150 emery, and work your way down to 400 for a original looking "belted" finish prior to bluing (they were never mirror polished when new)....or 800/1000 grit, followed by buffing for a mirror finish......they are pretty robust and you will be surprised how quickly even deep pitting cleans up.........or else plug the bore and tap area, bead blast, followed by a good fine wire wool (not lengthways!) and use birch-wood plum brown...you will need a propane torch for this, but it gives a great antique patina.....If its a good shooter, It will surprise people even more if it looks like it has been in a river for the last 50 years!!!

Quote Originally Posted by red bob View Post
    ,shes marked up as L705s in .177 and as you can see one or two mods ie butt plate with flanges ;shes apart and ready for in serious indepth refurb starting tomorrow .anyone care to say how old and if the s is rare?

Hi Bob, Not sure about the small 's' after the number but if it's L705 it'll be 1919 or if it's L7055 it'll be 1920.

Hope that helps,

Paul.
    TX200 collector, ex - BFTO member and vintage BSA rifle anorak!
    Get yourself something useful.....
    HERE!

someone asked me to tidy one up a wee while ago , took a bit of work but it came up well

it was a non worker and the guy didn't want to pay the money to sort it or part with it , so it's now hanging on his wall
    AA S200 ginb stock 177/ hw77 refinished stock 22
    hw 80k refinished stock 22/ webley tempest 22

Nice one Rob, keep us posted on its' progress

one of my personal favourites the L, a sweet sweet gun

thanks all for your replys,especialy edbear in regards to the action clean up never thought of the lathe option,the number is L7058 the 8 looks like an s and is even in lower case! cheers paul seems i gave you the wrong last numeral.
    i spent an hour and a half linishing the action down ,never knew the mid section actualy unscrewed so leaving it free of barrel !.the piston seal is original and looks like new as is the spring.
    just out of interest my mate who bought up a lot of the airifles from the container found he has a bsf 55 or54 what a super gun its even knocking out 9ftlbs and has a styling that is truely original the cocking arm although fabricated has a sculpted shape, the barrel to action point is kind of fluted very nice, it does have a few dinks but the woodwork is good [walnut] and is italian apparently and is marked by the maker umm no i cant have that to can i ?
    sadly there are a few web mk3s that have seen far better days but who knows some madman such as me may take up the challenge.thanks again bob.
    ps monkeywrench hope all is well your end and the compact is behaving .