Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bsa mercury 's' vs fwb sport

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

Bsa mercury 's' vs fwb sport

Is a fettled (preferably Bowketted) BSA Mercury 'S' a match for the Feinwerkbau Sport? The .22 I had, once the sears were polished up, had a very acceptable trigger unit. The heavy barrel is nice too, my reservation is the 'O' ring on the piston unit. A nice parachute like that fitted to later BSAs would be the way to go.

I know IJ has both rifles, and so does RustyBuzz. Whats the score then? Much prefer the chunky breech lock-up on BSAs to the effete FWB arrangement.

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    I can't speak for the FWB Sport, but a Mercury S in 177 was the first rifle I bought with my own money (£65 from a company called "The Mart" by mail order) and it was a fabulous rifle that served me well for about 21 years until I bought a house and had to turn the majority of my air rifle collection in to furniture to sit on and eat off.
    If any one on the forum has BSA Mercury S serial number WH 01266, I'd dearly love to buy it back.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

I have owned a selection of Sports and Mercurys. I agree that the Mercury (especially the S) is in many ways a match for the Sport. The handling is excellent and it comes to the shoulder like a shotgun. The open sights are pretty good. I like the fact that the Mercury does not have an irritating semi-auto safety. The fit and finish are acceptable and the trigger on later Mercurys is very good, especially with a polish. But...those damned shallow and short scope rails are a PIA and are the worst feature of an otherwise excellent airgun. The late Mercurys addressed this problem by fitting a proper scope rail but it was too little too late.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Is a fettled (preferably Bowketted) BSA Mercury 'S' a match for the Feinwerkbau Sport? The .22 I had, once the sears were polished up, had a very acceptable trigger unit. The heavy barrel is nice too, my reservation is the 'O' ring on the piston unit. A nice parachute like that fitted to later BSAs would be the way to go.

I know IJ has both rifles, and so does RustyBuzz. Whats the score then? Much prefer the chunky breech lock-up on BSAs to the effete FWB arrangement.
    Hi
    Personally i dont think either of them equal the Hyprdene systems 4100 in .177.
    Regards
    Bernie

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Ooh ... This one is too close to call, so I will sit back and be a spectator as this thread unfolds and keep me gob shut . Neither are a patch on a fettled Omega however, or a fettled Longbow, but thats another story (am currently conducting a long term Pepsi challenge between these two iconic Webleys, the findings of which I will report on around January ). Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

I had FWB 124 in the early 80s. My mate had a standard Mercury. No comparison in quality or accuracy FWB wins any way up. A fine quality rifle. The Merc was not much further down the road than a Meteor. Not suggesting it was not a good un but different league IMO.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by christy View Post
    I had FWB 124 in the early 80s. My mate had a standard Mercury. No comparison in quality or accuracy FWB wins any way up. A fine quality rifle. The Merc was not much further down the road than a Meteor. Not suggesting it was not a good un but different league IMO.
    Not the STANDARD Mercury, the 'S' version, the heavy-barrel, walnut stocked, breech-bolted, two-stage trigger MERCURY-S.

The standard Mercurys were horrid.

rustington/littlehampton,riviera of the south

although aware of the fwbs weak points i feel her advantage is balance and feel and have never found on a personnel note the trigger to be as lacking as some have found,having just completed a new build on a merc and taken her out for a serious test session with some shooting friends ,i/we were all quite taken by the power and accuracy of this unassuming rifle she chronod at a tad over 11ftlbs and was grouping very nicely at 35/40 mtrs ,i have to admit i was surprised and pleased by the outcome.the merc was still sporting her original piston seal etc my beloved fwb blew hers to bits while on a hunting foray.
    as an open field hunter where the ranges are often extended the fwb in most conditions seems to hold first amoungst the springers but i do feel that the w77 was a nearer challenger in the field.
    ps i wondered how long the "s" and NOT std merc reminder would take to come! "o and how long before omega,longbow err challenger etc join the verbal scuffle which is about to take place ,we will see what tomorrow brings .glad i live way out in sussex away from you ruffians.
    Last edited by red bob; 01-10-2009 at 10:36 PM.
    [FWB124s]-[ORIG45]-[relum rescue ctr]
    I CAN RESIST EVERYTHING EXCEPT AN FWB,

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Ooh ... This one is too close to call, so I will sit back and be a spectator as this thread unfolds and keep me gob shut . Neither are a patch on a fettled Omega however, or a fettled Longbow, but thats another story (am currently conducting a long term Pepsi challenge between these two iconic Webleys, the findings of which I will report on around January ). Atb: G.
    I can't take Webleys seriously, especially since they name their guns after fish-oil and cheap cider.

Actually, I've got an Eclipse needs restoring in the cupboard... should type a bit quieter really...

The names are 'dooming' as well - the Omega - 'the end of' (Webley) and the Eclipse (Weihrauch and Air Arms 'eclipsed' Webley nicely).

Alistair my friend , you are the Troll of Trolls ... In fact ... Give it five mins, then look up . Ha ha ha ...

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

The names are 'dooming' as well - the Omega - 'the end of' (Webley)...
    On handing over a pre-production sample for review, the then sales manager of Webley explained to me that the Omega name implied the 'last word' in airguns.

Quote Originally Posted by BTDT View Post

On handing over a pre-production sample for review, the then sales manager of Webley explained to me that the Omega name implied the 'last word' in airguns.
    ... That is simply superb . Have I ever mentioned that I quite like the Omega ... Ha ha. Atb (again): G.

On ma dirt farm near Dudley in the Westmidlands.

Thumbs up

I can't take Webleys seriously, especially since they name their guns after fish-oil and cheap cider.

Actually, I've got an Eclipse needs restoring in the cupboard... should type a bit quieter really...

The names are 'dooming' as well - the Omega - 'the end of' (Webley) and the Eclipse (Weihrauch and Air Arms 'eclipsed' Webley nicely).
    You cad sir,you bounder(slips right hand out of white glove and slaps Mr ee about his countenance with said White glove) anymore talk like this and it will be pistols at dawn!!! Webley Tempest or Typhoon its your choice

You can try my Longbow against ANY springer if you like

Have I ever mentioned that I quite like the Omega ... Ha ha. Atb (again): G.
    On occasion.

Now, had Alistair chosen the Mercury Challenger rather than the 'S', I reckon we'd have had a close match for the FWB.

Cloase call.

Much prefer the chunky breech lock-up on BSAs to the effete FWB arrangement.
    Properly lubricated, which all guns should be, I think this is a rare fault but the lock up wedge can be replaced if/when worn.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphoon View Post
    I like the fact that the Mercury does not have an irritating semi-auto safety.
    Five minutes work when the rifle is stripped soon has the auto feature removed and made manual. While I am not a lover of safety catches (the only safe gun ......) it does have its uses.

Neither are a patch on a fettled Omega however, or a fettled Longbow, .
    Even closer call. While the Omega is good it just looses out to the 'Sport but beats the 'S' due to the sloped trigger block on the BSA which can cause scope alignment problem. The Sport looses out on both due to the poor (plastic) open sights but most people fit scopes anyway.
    Now the adjustable gas rammed Omega ... well.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk