Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bsa mercury 's' vs fwb sport

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Now the adjustable gas rammed Omega ... well.
    ... From a collectors stance, thats proper Bo, Bro.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

rustington/littlehampton,riviera of the south

my money is on the fwb for the final furlong the odds were always short,cant imagine not having one what a wierd feeling that must be!!!. am now retiring to a safe locked room to polish my fwbs butt.
    [FWB124s]-[ORIG45]-[relum rescue ctr]
    I CAN RESIST EVERYTHING EXCEPT AN FWB,

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Alistair my friend , you are the Troll of Trolls ... In fact ... Give it five mins, then look up . Ha ha ha ...
    .... heh heh ...

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

keith66 is online now Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    At the age of 16 i had a .22 Fwb sport i still have it and its a great rifle.
    I also had a Bsa Mercury also in .22. Both did the job but the FWB was far more highly strung & fussy.
    The BSA did the job & was reliable. It accounted for more pigeons & rabbits than the FWB probably down to consistency & gun fit.

i have an airsporter s carbine in .177 and its my one real keeper i've had it 25 years so far
    them there springer's are soooooo addictive

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    .... heh heh ...
    You're not suggesting my mate's an infiltrator for the antis are you Gareth?

Oh, and the answer to this thread is: FWB Sport wins IMHO.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    I can't take Webleys seriously, especially since they name their guns after fish-oil and cheap cider.

Actually, I've got an Eclipse needs restoring in the cupboard... should type a bit quieter really...

The names are 'dooming' as well - the Omega - 'the end of' (Webley) and the Eclipse (Weihrauch and Air Arms 'eclipsed' Webley nicely).
    How dare ye rubbish the Webley product. I have a Patriot that makes a Weihrauch or Feinwerkbau look like they were finished by Gamo! A rifle that at 30 yards can still put 5 shots in 3/4" while putting out almost 30ft/lb at the muzzle and putting the absolute kapow on the jolly ol' squirrel!

P.S. I can't think of a German air weapon that beats the name Patriot.
    Webley Vulcan .22, Webley Tempest .177, Beeman Kodiak .25, Beeman R9 .177, Weihrauch HW30 .177, Slavia 618 .177, Colt Commander .45ACP, Browning Hi-Power 9mm, Bushmaster AR-15 5.56/.223

why do you all keep punishing yourselves this way
    the FWB is the finest spring rifle EVER made / its been proved a hundred times (on here and other places ) some of you will just have to live with it instead of dredging up one PRETENDER after another
    FINITO

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by R. P. McMurphy View Post
    You cad sir,you bounder(slips right hand out of white glove and slaps Mr ee about his countenance with said White glove) anymore talk like this and it will be pistols at dawn!!! Webley Tempest or Typhoon its your choice

You can try my Longbow against ANY springer if you like
    I do in fact own a Webley Tempest; it is the one Webley which I would say is 'quite good' (although not for serious use, it is the plinker par excellence). Sadly, BBS rules expressly forbid duelling, after that incident with the shopping trolleys. Perhaps a postal plinking competition will be an acceptable substitute, say Trebor mints at 10 paces?

N.B. Typhoons are for girls and yoofs with ickle hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    I do in fact own a Webley Tempest; it is the one Webley which I would say is 'quite good' (although not for serious use, it is the plinker par excellence). Sadly, BBS rules expressly forbid duelling, after that incident with the shopping trolleys. Perhaps a postal plinking competition will be an acceptable substitute, say Trebor mints at 10 paces?

Fight! Fight! Fight!

Hows about tripe at 15 paces. No, not to throw heathens - to eat! First to down a plate of lovely white seamless is the victor. Vinegar and salt, of course, are allowed. We are not riff raff. MALLY can be ref.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

I am fortunate to own examples of both these guns and both have their merits. I feel the FWB just shades the Mercury in 'shootability' and also in the quality of the superb engineering

Quote Originally Posted by steveyb View Post

I am fortunate to own examples of both these guns and both have their merits. I feel the FWB just shades the Mercury in 'shootability' and also in the quality of the superb engineering
    ... Hi Steve, having owned .22 and .177 examples of both, I do tend to agree with you, but it is a VERY close call ...

Cool FWB v BSA

This is a very close call.
    I have had a few 124's and 127's over the years and regret selling them, but I have only owned one Mercury S and I would have to be very desperate to let it go. It has to be one of the best British air rifles ever made (up there and just above Gareth's Omega and the lovely Longbow)

The FWB's breech lock up and the breech lock screws are the 124/127's downfall IMO (trigger is a bit iffy also)and have cost me points in the good old days of FT before these £500 fancy scopes and silly PCP's spoilt things

So despite the German rifles looks, shootability and edge in accuracy (very slight with todays choice of pellets), I will pick the BSA Mercury S (The Best of British )

Oh and has anyone a mint FWB 124 for sale- Mk1 with the nicer stock)

John
    Last edited by pennineway.fswo; 02-10-2009 at 09:22 AM. Reason: request for 124
    hold me back !!

Quote Originally Posted by pennineway.fswo View Post
    I have only owned one Mercury S and I would have to be very desperate to let it go. It has to be one of the best British air rifles ever made (up there and just above Gareth's Omega and the lovely Longbow)
    < Gareth W-B coughs and splutters into his tea in disbelief -- but kinda knows what you mean regarding the Mercury S, especially if a MkII in .22 >

I had a Bowkett tuned Merc in .22 in the mid 80's and at the time I had
    a non tuned Sport also...
    I can definatly say the mercury was the better gun at the time,JB totally
    transformed the gun that I sent him it was a lot smoother and easy to cock,not to say the FWB wasn't,but maybe if JB had tuned my sport it may
    have been a different answer!!
    I still have the bill from JB ... £35 those were the day's.