Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Bsa mercury 's' vs fwb sport

Quote Originally Posted by R. P. McMurphy View Post
    When I spoke to you at the MGF and I said I was thinking of getting another springer in the new year,this could well be the one perhap
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    YES . Loved the Mod.45 .20 and .177 I had (but sold when skint), and like the idea of a brand new one (on terms ). Atb: G.
    Slight potential problem.

If M&G are fitting synthetic piston seals, I've no doubt the 45 as originally (no pun intended) sprung will be over the UK limit, so I suspect it's made with a puny spring for the home market and a beefier one for the USA, but none for a 12fpe market.

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Original 45! Over rated. Ugly. Plastic. Barrel made out of plasticine. Bungs in the stock? Whats that all about. Design by someone who only had a rule and no protractor.
    Sits back and waits. Mod baiting at its best.

ATB
    Ian
    I have to disagree here, The ORIGINAL 45 is an aesthetic masterpiece. Much like Marcel Breuer’s wassily chair I believe another 20 years will see it as an icon of late 70’s air rifle design. Less so the watered down RWS version.

Quote Originally Posted by BTDT View Post
    If RUAG were to import the '45, would anyone else buy one? I would.
    Is the current model still the same rifle Jim?

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBuzz View Post
    I have to disagree here, The ORIGINAL 45 is an aesthetic masterpiece. Much like Marcel Breuer’s wassily chair I believe another 20 years will see it as an icon of late 70’s air rifle design. Less so the watered down RWS version.
    Ah! The RWS 45. Now that was a abomination. DM80 will be on here soon shouting its praises but then he loves Relums so

Doesn't look the same according to these examples. I bet its got even more plastic.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Don't know, Rich. All I've seen is the pic on their web site.

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Ah! The RWS 45. Now that was a abomination. DM80 will be on here soon shouting its praises but then he loves Relums so
    Perhaps DM80 is more concerned with whether an air rifle is accurate than he is about the views of a bloke who thinks .22" pellets should be OK through a .177" silencer?

Perhaps DM80 is more concerned with whether an air rifle is accurate than he is about the views of a bloke who thinks .22" pellets should be OK through a .177" silencer?
    Twas an early invention of mine: the auto sizer. It just didn't catch on.

Jim you have mail

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

If RUAG were to import the '45, would anyone else buy one? I would.
    no
    i had one ( bought from AIRGUNS TODAY St Helens / anyone remember him )
    didnt like the angled breech always seemed to trap the pellet skirt

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    I agree completely. The stock design is so simple and elegant I have never seen it bettered on a full-size rifle. Ambidextrous and well-balanced, there was a Ruger centrefire which had a similar stock but it was not so angular. The whole thing was so easy to handle, which is genius design work considering how large the rifle was. The interference-fit foresight was a bit though. Nice open-sights on Originals, rearsight very adaptable.

The barrel on my 50T01, the fixed-barrel sister of the 45, was indeed made of plasticene, as was the rest of the metalwork. The 50T01 was an 'orrible rifle and one of the biggest disappointments in terms of the money laid out. Could have bought a FWB Sport but I wanted a fixed barrel....

On handing over a pre-production sample for review, the then sales manager of Webley explained to me that the Omega name implied the 'last word' in airguns.
    Jim i remember your gun review on the first omega in SAR and knew back then that i should give it a chance and support webley in their hour of need but as a naive 14yr old i wasnt to know was i!! wish i bought one all the same and it would have been the carbine version in .177

I would like to add that as breach loaders goes the Theoben TB90( what a fantastic rifle) in .177 is as accurate any thing ive shot including my .177 KT Tx200SR.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattatack View Post
    Jim i remember your gun review on the first omega in SAR and knew back then that i should give it a chance and support webley in their hour of need but as a naive 14yr old i wasnt to know was i!! wish i bought one all the same and it would have been the carbine version in .177

I would like to add that as breach loaders goes the Theoben TB90( what a fantastic rifle) in .177 is as accurate any thing ive shot including my .177 KT Tx200SR.
    You've got a good memory!

At the time, I thought the Omega was the best British production break barrel springer to date.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    This is a class old FWB Sport thread. There haven't been any in a while so its worth chewing it over again.

Been thinking; would it be a good idea to put a FWB barrel on an HW77?

mrto

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Is a fettled (preferably Bowketted) BSA Mercury 'S' a match for the Feinwerkbau Sport? The .22 I had, once the sears were polished up, had a very acceptable trigger unit. The heavy barrel is nice too, my reservation is the 'O' ring on the piston unit. A nice parachute like that fitted to later BSAs would be the way to go.

I know IJ has both rifles, and so does RustyBuzz. Whats the score then? Much prefer the chunky breech lock-up on BSAs to the effete FWB arrangement.
    I have both and the answer is yes,if anything the Mercury 'S' is the easier gun to shoot accurately at least in my hands,both are in .22 by the way.ATB.

Not the STANDARD Mercury,

The standard Mercurys were horrid.
    That's a bit harsh Alistair!

My early MK 1 .177 is a beauty
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyBoy View Post
    That's a bit harsh Alistair!

My early MK 1 .177 is a beauty
    1.Baked-on paint finish instead of blueing
    2.Bendy black plakky trigger
    3. Plain beech slabby stock made of wood rejected by school desk manufacturers
    4. Breech pin instead of bolt allowing loosening of breech jaws and consequent inaccuracy
    5. Plastic sights that broke when you wiped them over with a cloth
    6. Scope grooves so shallow that would only hold a cheap 4x20 3/4" telescopic sight, all others would slide down the rail and lose zero after three shots.

They were horrid for the reasons stated above. I think you have the rose-tinted spectacles on, also you may be drunk.

The Mercury-S and the Challenger corrected all these faults, but alas too late.

Just IMHO of course!

I think you have the rose-tinted spectacles on, also you may be drunk.

Just IMHO of course!

Haha all your points are valid. I am not drunk though I like mine as it only cost me 38 quid a couple of months ago

I would like an "S" in .177 but have not found one yet.

In terms of the comparison with the FWB I haven't shot an "S" but I do have 2 x 127 and 1 x 124 and they are superb

If the "S" is comparible in terms of shooting quality to the FWB, then it's next on my shopping list (that will be number 56!!! )
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.