Thread: Wrong calibre dammit !

davederrick is offline With our thoughts, we make the world

Wrong calibre dammit !

Most likely my fault, but still annoying. Got a .45 variation on my FAC. Saw a nice muzzle-stuufer online marked up as .44/.45 & had it sent to my RFD. It turns out to be .44 & my RFD says "No can do". Grrrrr. Silly me.
    "I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959)

bummer! Didn't you put .44/.45 on your variation request?

The annoying bit is - they will most likely shoot the same ball anyway - thats the 'stupid' bit I can't seem to get thriugh to the Licensing guys !

Thought I put .44/.45 on the variation, but the permission on my slot does say .45. So either I messed up, or they did. Time for another variation dammit.
    "I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959)

Licensing guys might well do a '1 for 1' which should cost you nothing except a bit of time .. you're not looking to increase the amount of guns you have, or even change type/mechanism of firearm. I had a similar concern when I bought my Ruger Old Army, but it was an early one stamped .44 so no problem in my case as I had a slot for .44
    My wife complains that I've got more sense than money.

dave

Just out of interest what was the gun?

as I say, Ruger old army .. the early ones were stamped .44 for about 3 years and then reclassified as .45 which is what they were subsequently stamped. Both calibres (as stamped) take a .458 ball rather than the more normal .454 ball used in other .44 revolvers (Like the Reminton Army et al).

Can't see why it'd be an issue for your local force to change the slot to accomodate the gun you want to buy. I think it might be a bit jobsworth of them to charge you £26 for the priviledge of doing it, but I suppose they could if they wanted to ... it'd be a variation after all. Better to do it and get the gun you want I think ... give them a bell.

Quote Originally Posted by Roodles View Post
    Under Herts Police I changed a .22rf to a .38/.357 '1 for 1' with no charge, so, I assume you will be ok.

-Roodles
    fully agree. Dorset are as good as this .. I did similar change but the other way round .. .38/357 to .17hmr with a mod including change of use for pest rather than target. No charge. If it's a fair reason they tend to be fair.

Quote Originally Posted by ShootingChannel View Post
    dave

Just out of interest what was the gun?
    Jim, just bought myself an Armi Sport Corsair - double barrelled percussion pistol Its with the RFD (Clinton) till I get another variation through, just annoyed I can't use it sooner.
    Dave