Thread: Cleaning a Ruger.

Question Cleaning a Ruger.

Just wondered how others clean their black powder guns. After removing wooden grips ect Iv always dunked them or flushed them with lots of very hot soapy water. Scrubbed em with a tooth brush and rodded the cylinders and bores out. Then dried them with an old hair drier and lubricated with grease on the bits i can get to or wd40 where i cant. Rodding the bore again to make sure its dry and coated with wd. Tim

davederrick is offline With our thoughts, we make the world
    Sounds good. I usually put a little BP solvent down the bore, then do the soapy stuff much like you do.
    "I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959)

I've often thought that it would be nice if the time spent on cleaning could be less than the time spent on shooting....

Just pour boiling water over it straight from the kettle and scrub corners where dirt accumulate. The heat dries the gun quickly. Then lubricate thoroughly but not excessively.

Also find that a dedicated gun lube such as Browning's work a lot better at preventing rust than WD40.

if you use triple 7 or pyrodex its much easier to clean. I find BP gets very sticky.

I have a Ruger Old Army in stainless. Each time I shoot it I take out the cylinder, remove the grips and pour 1.7 ltrs (a kettle full) down the barrel and the cylinder scrubbing vigoursly the attached nipples.
    Everyother time I shoot it (regardless of number of shots), I strip the gun to its components (including the nipples).
    This takes about an hour or so but after 12 years my pistol still looks like new and I've never renewed the nipples.

Regards.
    Brian

PS. I used Henry Kranks cheap sh*t (or anything else that was cheap!) for years but now use Swiss No. 1

Thanks for the imfo folks. Brian, you say you strip yours down to its component parts. Any idea where i can get write up on dissmantling a ruger old army. So far havent stripped mine down yet in case i cant get it back together. Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tim56 View Post
    Thanks for the imfo folks. Brian, you say you strip yours down to its component parts. Any idea where i can get write up on dissmantling a ruger old army. So far havent stripped mine down yet in case i cant get it back together. Tim
    There's a fair set of instructions in the manual

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/PDF/In...Manuals/13.pdf

Cheers

Roy

Hi tim56, this may sound a bit lame but it's really not hard to dismantle a Ruger Old Army.
    As was said in the previous message the instructions in the manual are there and quite clear.
    Being a man, I 'psycologically' (*poor spelling) refused to look at the manual and dismembered my pistol slowly and then re-assembled it in reverse (after cleaning).
    I don't think what I have said will be much help but have a little confidence in yourself.

Regards.
    Brian

Nice one Roy - thanks

Got to agree with Brian. Stripping down an OA all the way, is really quite simple. As with all my revolvers, they get a full strip down every three or four outings......

The greatest revelation I ever had in cleaning a B/P revolver was the switch to 777. Plenty of running clean water and a tooth brush. Five minutes and it's sorted. A going over with an old hair dryer to dry it off a spray of WD40 into the mech and lighly oil the barrel, chambers and outside. Done.

Quote Originally Posted by harricook View Post
    There's a fair set of instructions in the manual

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/PDF/In...Manuals/13.pdf

Cheers

Roy

Many Thanks. Have down loaded the manual and its sounds easy enough so will give it a go. Ta to all for the imfo. Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tim56 View Post
    Many Thanks. Have down loaded the manual and its sounds easy enough so will give it a go. Ta to all for the imfo. Tim
    Now we all have our fingers crossed that you dont hit any snags !

You'll be fine

Roy