Thread: What's my Webley Senior and a carton of milk got in common?

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm

What's my Webley Senior and a carton of milk got in common?

They both go off on their own!
    Seriously, when I go to fire my senior and take up the first pressure on the trigger, after a couple of seconds the pistol will fire without any further movement of the trigger. Will this be a worn sear?
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

sear

It certainly sounds as though that is the problem.
    You can remove the sear very easily without a full strip of the pistol and examine it. The sear slides vertically in a machined slot against the action of a spring. It is probable that the end of your sear that engages with the piston is worn and rounded or possibly a bit has broken off. It is usual for such items to be case hardened and so restoring its profile would not be recommended
    Best to buy a new one
    J Knibbs or Chambers should have new ones in stock

ATB
    John
    hold me back !!

Thanks for that John, I thought as much. Looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and send Mr Cambers about £18 for a replacement.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

What's my Webley Senior and a carton of milk got in common?

Nothing now. I had the gun apart today and inspected and cleaned all the bits, then put it all back together with a few spots of lube here and there. I didn't notice any damage or undue wear to either the piston or sear so after the clean/lube put the gun back together. The problem now seems to have disappeared so all's well with the world. Well, my bit of it anyway.