Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Webley hawk mk 3 vs diana g80

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

Webley hawk mk 3 vs diana g80

It's November 1979, and your Dad has said he will get you an airgun for your Christmas. Because of the economic climate, it can't be a new gun, but there are a few second-hand in Exchange & Mart that are within Dad's price-range. As all your mates have second-hand BSA Meteors, you want to try something different and are caught between a Webley Hawk Mk 3 and a Diana G80.

Which do you choose and why?

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    It's November 1979, and your Dad has said he will get you an airgun for your Christmas. Because of the economic climate, it can't be a new gun, but there are a few second-hand in Exchange & Mart that are within Dad's price-range. As all your mates have second-hand BSA Meteors, you want to try something different and are caught between a Webley Hawk Mk 3 and a Diana G80.

Which do you choose and why?
    Hmm, let me transport myself back. No dad, not t' Diana, they on'y meck kid's guns, and t' stock's a bit fat an' chunky.
    Wot abaht t' Webley 'awk then?
    Awgh yeah, t' stock looks better (we weren't saying things like cool and boss or top in Yorkshire yet), an' t' catalogue sez it duz 50 foot per second faster than t' Diana.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    From a collectors point of view, am very fond of both marques and models, but I'd tell Dad to stick it, ad next Birthday's money to the pot, and get me an HW35 ... There ya go, managed to send yet another thread off on a tangent . Ha ha. Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

I bought the right thing then and I've still got it. (slight cheat it was 1980).
    lodmoor
    Always ready to buy another Webley pistol and another and . . . .

Right i'm back there now,

and as my Hawk 111 has just fallen to pieces in my hands i'd be asking for the G80

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrench View Post
    Right i'm back there now,

and as my Hawk 111 has just fallen to pieces in my hands i'd be asking for the G80
    You must have put an Ox spring in it then.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    You must have put an Ox spring in it then.
    Nope, standard everything apart from a plastic Tasco 4x20 , which i thought was mutts nuts

i'de have to go for the g80 , my dad got one for me , the neighbours father made it in the milbro factory in motherwell . just thought i'd share that with you
    AA S200 ginb stock 177/ hw77 refinished stock 22
    hw 80k refinished stock 22/ webley tempest 22

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by alanssaab View Post

i'de have to go for the g80 , my dad got one for me , the neighbours father made it in the milbro factory in motherwell . just thought i'd share that with you
    ... That is a great insight into localised air gun history there, thanks for sharing it with us (just love these anecdotes ). Atvb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Hawk v G80

Now if it had been a Mk2 Hawk I'd have been over the moon. However I had already had a Webley MK3 for my ninth birthday in 1974 so it was all down hill from there.

I'll always remember Christmas 1979 for another reason, it was ten days after I'd kissed my first girlfriend.

i bought a mk3 hawk for myself around this time it was my first airgun and cost me 50p a week from my mums club book not the best gun in the world but started something thats lasted all this time i actuelly saw one for sale in my local gunshop on monday
    S400 Carbine

Operating without any decent restraint - Nottm
    The 80 was a better gun than the MKIII Hawk. Having said that, nearly everything was better than a MKIII Hawk.
    Horrible things.
    1st Battalion Humberside Cavalier Rescue Deserters on the cut

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil. View Post
    The 80 was a better gun than the MKIII Hawk. Having said that, nearly everything was better than a MKIII Hawk.
    Horrible things
    This is what I have heard. Yet the Mk 3 was the 'top of the range' Webley for a while. There was some overlap with the Osprey, but that was even lower in power than the Hawk. You rarely see any Hawk Mk 3s around which have been used regularly, rather specimens that have been pulled from cupboards and attics and haven't been fired for 30 years. The metal piston-rings were interesting, and I suppose the rifle formed the basis for the Vulcan (or did it?).

I am suprised anyone has any fond memories of this rifle!

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    The metal piston-rings were interesting,

and I suppose the rifle formed the basis for the Vulcan (or did it?).

Piston rings were copper impregnated PTFE.

Considering the Vulcan MK1 had the same barrel, breach, and trigger assembly as the MK3 Hawk, it would be fair to say that the Hawk formed the basis for the Vulcan.

ATB Mick

Operating without any decent restraint - Nottm
    All the lads I kicked about with when I was 18, had Meteors and Diana's in their various guises. One had a MKIII Hawk, that had an elongated hole that the mainspring retaining pin sat in. It had the disturbing trait of discharging when you closed the barrel. Another had a Vulcan that used to ring like bell when it was shot and had a 1/4 stage trigger with a 22lb pull.
    One worked for the Gas Board and had a bit more dough than the rest of us. It was only when he purchased an HW35, that we realised that things smaller than a Top Deck shandy can, could be hit beyond 25 yards.
    Last edited by Neil.; 09-10-2009 at 11:46 AM.
    1st Battalion Humberside Cavalier Rescue Deserters on the cut