Thread: light pattern rebuild costs.

rustington/littlehampton,riviera of the south

light pattern rebuild costs.

just to inform anyone thinking of a refurb on the above or similer this is a quick breakdown of costs and time invested.
    initial gun purchase price-£58
    2/3 hours for disassembly and cleaning.
    2/3hours linishing[abrasive polishing]
    birchwoodcasey blue rust and blue remover £8 approx
    " degreaser " £8
    " blue paste or liquid £8
    all above bought as a kit £18
    i used company abrasive papers mops etc but £5/10 approx
    new spring £15 to 20 approx
    add on or allow for any missing parts or availbilty.
    3hours for intensive bluing session .
    2hours for careful reassembly, lubing ,barrel clean.
    final rubbing in of quality barrier oil.£5
    if the stock requires refinishing i have spent anything between 3 to 6 hours and around £35 for abrasive papers ,finishing dye ,polish ,lacquer.
    and just be warned a complete set of iron sights will set you back a tad under £60 [blimey]!!! and i dont regret a penny or an hour ,shes gorgeous.
    now by my reckoning ive spent double my initial outlay excluding time so scare me someone, whos really pushed the boat out in refurbing a classic!.or is it to much to contemplate.
    Last edited by red bob; 11-10-2009 at 07:04 PM.
    [FWB124s]-[ORIG45]-[relum rescue ctr]
    I CAN RESIST EVERYTHING EXCEPT AN FWB,

edbear2 Guest
    Don't add it up mate........you will go nuts...I try not to think about it when I do mine!.a couple of mine have had parker hale / early BSA 6 hole rear sights fitted + period tunnel foresights........they cost me more than the guns

Sadly, we both know that it is an incurable hobby, but compared to what a couple of guys I have worked with spend on bleeding golf clubs.........it's pennies........and they think I am mad messing around with old airguns....."why not just get a new one that works properly in the first place?" one said a while back

This thread needs pictures!!!:D

yes a before and after would have been more illuminating.please note while i admire those who for example restore the action to a glass smooth finish ,i know how much dedication and effort that requires;i prefer to retain that look of having been around but well cared for ;my favourite comment is blimey how old is that ,and what great condition its in when i tell them its 100yrs old etc.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/e...n/IMG_1972.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/e...n/IMG_2130.jpg

the after picc isnt that good but with my new method i have managed to achieve a deep blue which doesnt rub off !.just got to save up for the sights now.

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

Bloody hell bob

The before picture looks better than most of the stuff Ive got. Good job but the costs really scared and scarred me.
    Sssssh---- I know that B-b likes Relums But I dont think they are that bad other than the cocking arm being like a bullworker and that crappy rear stock screw/trigger adjuster set up.
    To anybody making remarks about fence posts etc

Thumbs up reply

cheers guy i bet you could have sorted most of this operation out for a fraction of what i spent having seen your enginuity for home made gear.
    and as for relums my mate shop sells them as quick as they come in so that speaks volumes so ignore the jibes its just retro jelousy,i would have a breakbarrel version now if my ceiling could support another rifle.in regards to the sights[£60] i have heard a recent rumour that a certain other vintage brand had very similer sights so we are trying to source them.regards bob.

Hi there

If possible would you please measure the original spring and let me know it's various dimensions please. I have replaced my spring with what appears to be a generic one and the rifle now twangs like a banjo. Many thanks

reply cp jacket

pm sent .

dims as follow

coil gauge 3mm or 1/8th in old money
    overall length 153mm [this is the one fitted from std ]
    21 coils total.
    o/s diameter 21mm.
    regards bob

everyones plug is missing in the endstock,my solution at the moment is knocking one up in brass as in my std,the light has had a brass endplate with a byonet
    fitting by some africana no doubt as it as a passing resemblence to a rimfire stock plate [i think] anyway i like it so it stays on.