Thread: MK1 Meteor .177spotted f/s auction Suffolk Eriswell

Barrow Bury St Edmunds duck hunting central

MK1 Meteor .177spotted f/s auction Suffolk Eriswell

Just got back from Eriswell Barns Auction viewing. They have a mk1 meteor .177 going through there auction tomorrow at around 1130hrs. Serial number n2577. Looks unmolested/ screw heads/ pins not messed about. quite a lot of original blueing on it. Noted half of rear sight lacking. crack on l/h/s of pistol grip. mainspring felt weak. They estimate £40 - 55 + 12% buyers premium. seems a bit strong to me. Might go and see if I cant get a low bid in? Will try and stop myself! I do love those early meteors.

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm

Hammer price vs catalogue estimate

At the auction I sometimes attend in Newark a Meteor in that state would be lucky to fetch a tenner.
    Unless there's another collector there you may well be pleasantly surprised at how much you get this for. Keep us posted on what happens will you?
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

won it!

I won it! £30 + commission = £33. Probably paid too much, but I dont care, I love these early meteors, fun I will get will be out of all proportion to price paid.
    currently roadtesting it in garden! pics to follow later. Seems to have its power there ok/ was budgeting on new spring etc but it seems to have as much power as my .22 mk2 that jonballs did a lovely job with the internals on.
    cracking on stock doesnt appear structural. Will need a new rear sight, wonder if they are still available? or might put a peep sight on rear.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by watchsapart View Post
    I won it!
    ... Well done mate. Worth the money, if nowt else, just for the fun factor of being involved in an auction . Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

jonballs is offline born to shoot, shoot to hunt, hunt to eat
    if we can`t find you a rear sight then i`m sure i have a bsa scope of the same era that we could fit
    cheers
    jon
    jon barber

touch wood i`ve never had a bad sale on the bbs

Rear sight for Mark 1 Meteor

I have one gun with the original rear sight and two without! Last gun had a one piece folding "buckhorn" type rear sight , dovetail fitting and made I think for an American rimfire but works perfectly on the Meteor, only having to "tap" the sight in the dovetail for windage. The original Meteor rear sight looks a dead ringer for the early Diana/Original sights on the Model 25 and probably others. Interestingly,( if you are a BSA anorak like me) the front sight blade on the Mark 1 Meteor is a perfect copy of the sight blade on the BSA Supersport rimfire!
    I have made rear sights from ally bar for the dovetail and brass strip drilled and screwed on for the rear sight piece...works fine. You can also pick up the original plastic scopes with mounts for not much money, but you will probably go blind trying to aim at anything. I love the Mark 1, the Meteor went downhill from there IMO.
    If you see one...buy it.

Mike95

Just got my MK I Meteor and I think they were definatly the best Meteor made!
    I have had all the others and they were rubish compared to the Mark 1

meteor

Finally found an original rear sight for this one, and a good stock. ongoing love story with me and these mk1's

jonballs is offline born to shoot, shoot to hunt, hunt to eat
    and the one i have of yours has been resprung and shooting very well, see you saturday
    cheers
    jon
    jon barber

touch wood i`ve never had a bad sale on the bbs

thanks Jon, see you sat - cheers paul