View Poll Results: Which is the worst springer in Collector Land?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Webley Hawk Mk 3 - 70s throwaway from Brum

4 5.26%
  • The Relum Tornado - Hungarian Swamp Donkey from the Reds

9 11.84%
  • Chinese B2 - Born to be thrown straight in the recycling bin?

62 81.58%
  • Brema 35 - the Shame of Italy

1 1.32%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Worst springer

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

Worst springer

Here's a list of four 'dogs', with various reasons why they might be the worst springers of their time.

1. Webley Hawk Mk 3 - spring retaining pin hole wears, sears allow accidental discharge, brittle plastic sights, crap trigger, ugly slabby stock - the Webley name raises expectations and then the Mk 3 dashes them.

2. Relum Tornado - insane double spring system for maximum boing, counterintuitive downward swinging loading tap, long, ugly, snakey barrel, gritty, stiff trigger, railway-sleeper stock - massive size gives impression of tremendous power which is not delivered.

3. Chinese B2 (the Arrow etc) - horrible break-barrel with no quality control in any area, deisels massively without being more powerful than a Webley Tempest, oversimple trigger rules out accuracy, cheap like supermarket super-strength lager and appealing to the same demographic.

4. The Brema 35 - no one will know this one, but it is a cheap crude copy of the finely engineered Original 35 with a horrible trigger. Looks like something it isn't like a fake Rolex. Very disappointing to those hopefuls that bought it.
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 09-10-2009 at 06:44 PM.

Cavalier Guest
    The title has to go to the B2 Even a bodger would cry at the sight of one I had a B2 Custom thing for plinking until the spring broke within 6 months. A pea shooter was more accurate and powerful I had it 8 months and done the decent thing, i cut it up and put it in the scrap metal, stock went in the fire The XS range is better than that bit of DOO DOO luckily

Kev

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

Worst gun

Never had the Brema? but had the others. B2 is a good gun for what it is--A £27 throw away as soon as anything breaks on it and will do someone to get rid of a few rats of pigeons. The Hawk mk3 is my least favourite hawk but probably the best of them. Ive got a £5 dog of one that I did to plink and its great. I like the Relum Tornado downwards tap because you can open it with your thumb and close it with your forefinger. The two springs thing is a waste of time. I find that even with one spring that the Tornado makes my tennis elbow play up like nothing else. I dont have a problem with the trigger but dont like that rear stock bolt. The bulbous stock version looks really ugly in pictures but I quite like the light coloured one got on the bitsa I put together from bits off here. I really do want to try an earlyish Relum breakbarrel as well.

edbear2 Guest
    B2 seconded!.a guy came to me at work a few weeks ago asking if I could "sort out" a nice old air rifle that a farmers son had given him after a drinking session.."Ummm, lucky so and so" I thought, and looked forward to seeing an early airsporter or something else interesting........It was a b2 .....Looked like a school metalwork project, and shot worse....."do you think it needs a scope" the guy asked when I took it back to him, cleaned and lubed.......luckily I had a haenel 303 at work at the time, and even he could see the difference.MORAL.......farmers don't give owt worth having away free

rifle

must agree hawk was awful and the tornado was a waste of wood and metal does anyone remember the chinese arrow now that thing was an accident waiting to happen also what about the asi statical recoiless that was an insane device as was the chinese lion under lever a good friend of mine lost half is tumb to one of the contrapions

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    B2 for me on this one. The Hawks aren't that bad, as long as you don't try to hot-rod them with an Ox spring. I've had my Hawk MkII since 1976, my Hawk MkIII since about 1980/1 and I also have a Hawk MkI which I got 2nd hand.
    Admittedly I don't shoot them much but they are still accurate when I do.
    I will admit though that the design of the sights is cr@p and the triggers aren't the best. They have their faults but I've got a soft spot for them because a Hawk MkII was the first air rifle I owned.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

All the B2 variants . The worst modern airgun ive used has to be the bsa supersport/lightning .

nice thread

relum tornado for me horrible to shoot but they do have there uses as a fence post or even a garden ornament and i remember them lion airguns build quality to match a lada but they were cheap i wonder where they have all gone
    if u live life on the edge then your taking up to much room

edbear2 Guest
    Some B2 owners opinions here......maybe I got a friday gun to look at

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews752.html

Mind you, some of the spelling in the reviews sort of gives the game away!

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Some B2 owners opinions here......maybe I got a friday gun to look at

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews752.html

Mind you, some of the spelling in the reviews sort of gives the game away!
    You all must be STRAINING. It's down to your ectomorphic bodies and unusually long necks.

'SMK B2 is very good all round, good long range shots. I have noticed that its very good if your a stocky chap with a short neck (17inch)a comfort factor when shooting and not straining.'

Worst Rifles

Hammerli 401 ..Disappointing
    Bsf 54..Disappointing
    BUT..my vote goes to the old Webley mk 3..The most georgeous well built classic ever..but all of them i had including a new one did not shoot straight.
    The worst ever ..disappointment, after wanting one from being a kid.
    Like finding out your childhood sweetheart is a crack whore.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Baldyman View Post
    Hammerli 401 ..Disappointing
    Bsf 54..Disappointing
    BUT..my vote goes to the old Webley mk 3..The most georgeous well built classic ever..but all of them i had including a new one did not shoot straight.
    The worst ever ..disappointment, after wanting one from being a kid.
    Like finding out your childhood sweetheart is a crack whore.
    Webley Mk 3 underlevers suffer from hype. I think the early ones were good at the time - for British rifles that is. The Falke and the Walther air-rifles were greatly superior. The Webley Mk 3 has this reputation and blah blah ... but they are underpowered and not all that accurate for all their splendid engineering. Webley's best rifle was the Omega!
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 09-10-2009 at 09:37 PM.

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Webley's best rifle was the Omega!
    O.K........so how much is Gareth paying you

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    O.K........so how much is Gareth paying you
    I worked it out by a process of elimination ... although I have an Eclipse I have started to repair in the cupboard. If I fit it with a leather washer to get over the expansion problem, then I will crown it King of The Webleys and sell it on...

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    The B2 all the way and every day. Horrible things that make Relum Tornados seem like Venom tuned HW77s in comparison.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.