Thread: MK5 Airsporter

Mattockswinga is offline A bit generous with the inch estimate....... as usual

MK5 Airsporter

Well,

I had this up for swap last week but it seemed nobody wanted it. I got bored over the weekend and decided that if I was going to keep it then it had better have a bit of work doing to it.

The gun had apparently been 'part tuned' and the stock had been blacked by its previous owner (a now banned member off here). I asked him about removing the blacking and he said "dont do it mate, the stock is a dog, thats why I blacked it". That was a year ago.

I nitromored it off on saturday expecting it to be horrible and it was lovely!! One tiny hairline crack, only about 3inch long and barely perceptible. The patterning on the wood is some of the nicest I've seen! Anyway, cant see why it was supposed to be a 'dog' Tru-oil gave a nice finish and it now looks great.

I decided to respring it too so I took it all apart for a thorough degrease. Now bearing in mind this gun was supposed to have been 'part tuned', whatever that means, it was horrid inside. Horrible Grease like tar all over the spring, piston and the inside of the chamber. There were some paticualrly sticky bits like black glue in patches on the piston and on the inside of the chamber. A THOROUGH degrease was called for.

Took out the loading tap carefully as I was expecting a ball bearing and spring to fire out at me but.... no. No spring or ball bearing Now, in the past, loading this gun required a little 'pellet pusher' as the tap was quite tight. The pellet head would go through then it would need persuading with a probe of some sort. Not having owned an Airsporter before I though nowt of it but when I took it apart the hole through the loading tap appears to be tapered. I put it back in with the WIDE end receiving the pellet rather than the THIN end. This seems right to me though I am ready to be corrected. Has the tap been in upside down all along?

Anyway, all went back together, shiny and lovely, with a new No. 1 Ox spring (1.5 coils removed) and a goodly (not too much not too little) amount of Moly Gn.

It now loads easy, cocks and shoots smooth and nice and chronos 10.3 ftlb with RWS Super H-Point. Not only that but having gotten rid of that horrid blackness from the stock makes it feel like I have a new gun. It was giving 1 inch groups at 20 yards too.

Horrid black stock, tar and some undescribable thick black glue patches inside, no ball bearing or spring on a (possibly ) backwards loading tap, bent spring (standard spring too, not an Ox or Titan). Quite how this was described as 'part tuned' I do not know

I am quite glad I didnt get rid of it now, mainly because if someone else had discovered all these things then I would have been the bad guy. I guess I should have given it a thorough going over a long time ago.

Anyway, piccies as soon as I can get em up.

Chris
    B&C Weihrauch HW99s .22 3-9X40

"Tuning"

One man's tune is another's nightmare! I have found all manner of things inside Meteors that I have stripped down..one old Mark 1 which would originally have had a leather piston seal, had the piston head draped hopefully with a couple of none fitting rubber O rings which had given up the ghost after a shot or two and partly welded themselves to the cylinder wall!
    Pistons jammed in the cylinder etc etc. massive springs which must have been put in by car jack...
    Congrats on a nice job of refurbishing.

Mike95

Looking forward to the results of you work