Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just the one... But which one?

This would have been a tricky decision until recently,
    but since I got THIS, no contest.
    Jef
    AKA Porthos, a Piskateer of Renown.
    I am a pistaholic, and proud of it

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by GarryP View Post
    In that case, any semi auto .22 target pistol would do for me. Or a Luger.
    With ammo costs going through the roof (hell, the SKY! ) : stick with the .22.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by jefL View Post
    This would have been a tricky decision until recently,
    but since I got THIS, no contest.
    NICE!

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    Air wasn't mentioned so I'd go for a Government Colt 1911 A1, I've used one on a range for an afternoon in the States 5 times in the last 8 years, Single handed target style I can consistantly group a full mag in an 8 inch circle in the centre of a standard man sized police pistol type target at 20 to 25 yards.
    Rapid fire I'm not as good but the hits don't get out into the low scoring peripheral areas and two handed rapid fire is so much more fun
    Regards,
    Nick
    I've owned one, though I no longer do. They are very reliable. Healthy kick to them! But with the rising price of ammunition, if I were going to get an autoloading pistol it would be a Ruger .22.

Jim

Which one

LP10 without doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    I want to say that I'd be happy with my Smith 686 6 inch, and to some extent it would be ideal. BUT, there's always the problem of CO2 gas cylinders: the mechanical complexity of any repeating CO2 pistol: relatively low power...

...on the whole, I'd probably opt for a HW 45 - which I don't own yet: simple, rugged, powerful, no C02 to purchase.

Jim
    If I were to answer this question keeping the UBC's competitions in mind, I'd go with the Smith 686, since I can use that for both Police Pistol, and for the CO2 category of the 6 yard competition.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    Air wasn't mentioned so I'd go for a Government Colt 1911 A1, I've used one on a range for an afternoon in the States 5 times in the last 8 years, Single handed target style I can consistantly group a full mag in an 8 inch circle in the centre of a standard man sized police pistol type target at 20 to 25 yards.
    Rapid fire I'm not as good but the hits don't get out into the low scoring peripheral areas and two handed rapid fire is so much more fun
    Regards,
    Nick
    If the question includes cartridge pistols, and I can own any pistol I want, but I can own only one pistol - it can be air, cartridge, black powder, but it can be only one: it would have to be a small (.38 snubbie sized) double action cartridge revolver, in .22 long rifle caliber. I could use it for multiple purposes, and ammo is small and cheap enough that I could stock up on a huge supply without going broke or needing a warehouse to store it in!

But I think the original poster had just air pistols in mind: so I'd say, the Smith 686, so long as my primary purpose for owning an air pistol remains the UBC competitions: as I said, it's good for both the Police and 6 yard categories.

If the question meant, you can own only one pistol and that pistol must be an air pistol: I'd go for the HW 45. Its' greater power makes it more versatile. It's more rugged than the Smith, and doesn't need CO2. Yes, the HW 45 would be my No. 1 choice for an "air pistol on a desert island" scenario.

Jim

Garry is offline I scrolled the page up too fast and it fell off
    Where's Claire gone to? She hasn't been on since 1st December.

Question The Same

Hi Rob M
    They are basically exactly the same, the Tempest has a slightly shorter barrel than the Hurricane, and a much simpler rearsight, adjusted by loosening a screw and manually moving the sightm then retightening. The rear of the Tempest body is cut short where it extends back under the rearsight on the Hurricane. The Tempest has no hood over the foresight.
    Actualy NO. It LOOKS like that but in fact the barrel length is the same but the foresight and shroud attachment do not extend the barrel length as there is a gap between the barrel and the end of the foresight mount making it look like a longer barrel.The sight base is longer giving a slight advantage in the sight profile and so a more accurate sight pattern but the barrel length is the same. I believe that the main difference is in the rear leaf and the fact that the Hurricane can accept the extension which allows te fitting of a scope or red dot sight. YES the Hurricane has fully adjustble rear sights.

Jim D
    Globus magnus volvere
    trepidex mea non est!

Paul55 is offline I get by with a little help from my friends
    I've been thinking the same
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55
    Been there, bought it, tried it, sold it

Me too.

Perhaps Cookie did her in, in revenge for beating him with his LP10 at the last UBC meet.

Wonder what he did with the body?
    Jef
    AKA Porthos, a Piskateer of Renown.
    I am a pistaholic, and proud of it

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Cerebral Chasm View Post
    I was thinking - yes I know it is dangerous :wink:

Right now if I could have any pistol I liked I think I would go with the Baikal IZH 46M, because I have used one and really like it. I like the hold, the smooth trigger and that I have better scores than with my CP99. Of course as I get more experienced this could probably change.

If you could only have one pistol, but could choose any pistol in the world (current or no longer in production), money no object, what would it be and why?

Clare
    Why ponder sit back instead with your favourite bottle of malt whisky could be equally dangerous...mike...

Paul55 is offline I get by with a little help from my friends
    Me too.

Perhaps Cookie did her in, in revenge for beating him with his LP10 at the last UBC meet.

You can't go round beating someone with their own pistol. I mean just think of the damage it could cause. The sights could get damaged
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55
    Been there, bought it, tried it, sold it

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    I love my Morini for what it can do - But if I had to keep just one for the pleasure of ownership it would have to be my Birmingham 4 Webley Senior...
    Made at a time when quality meant more than price, it really is a beautiful thing to hold - unbelievably small compared with a Tempest and indeed most other air pistols, moderately powerful, proper blued steel, fine 'cording' and a proper piston ring to last a lifetime...

Me too.

It's amazing the things you can do with camo!

Jim