Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Confused....... As usual

The Doctor is offline It's my birthday and I'll cry if I want to
    and if you get bored I have an LP10E here ...now that is fun

Lee
    Please tear carefully along the perforation.

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by Target Bunny View Post
    Compare Tempest & Hurricane.
    The Hurricane has an extension on the barrel which only serves to extend the distance of the foresight and the rear of the pistol is (I am reliably informed) also extended compared to the Tempest. If you could get some iron sights onto the scope rail you would near enough double the sight base.

Hey Nick how about it?

Jim D
    Or a foresight ring that clamps to the end of the dummy silencer ?
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Cerebral Chasm View Post
    Last night Cookiewas saying (if I understood him correctly) that one of the reasons my aim was better with the LP10 than the CP99 was the lenght of the barrel.

I was thinking today... Does this mean that I have more chance of hitting the target if I put the fake silencer back on the CP99?

Oh and I was chuffed to bits last night when I got a bullseye with the CP99, only for Cookie to point out he had done it with his rifle
    Hi Guy's, I was explaning to clare that the CP99 is not that accurate due to the Barrel only being 3.3" long and was explaning how the pistols with longer barrels are more accurate (Most of the time) at the time I was shooting my LP10 which is the reason for the comparison, we all know the 2 pistols are worlds apart.

Hi Clare putting the silencer on doesn't make the barrel any longer so it won't improve the accuracy, yes you could use it to extend the sight base but i honestly wouldn't bother, the CP99 is a great little pistol in it's own right, but at the end of the day it's a fun plinker not a serious target pistol. Have fun with it, enjoy it, and as time passes your groups will get better, but with the CP99 they will never be perfect.

The CP88 Competition and S&W 586 6" are probably the 2 most accurate of the Umarex pistols and both have barrels almost twice the length of the CP99. Here is a little list of Umarex Barrel lengths, they range from 3.3" on the CP99, 4" on the CP88, 4.5" on the Beretta 92FS, 5" on the Colt, 6" on the CP88 Competiton, 4"/6"/8" on the smith.

Jason

and sorry for the Bullseye in your target i couldn't resist it was a good shot with a HW25L with open sights though
    Fancy shooting your air pistols & rifles a bit more, then guy's & gal's come visit us at the
    UBC for loads of fun competitions for all types of air pistols and rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by jefL View Post
    That may work Clare, although it may play havoc with the elevation. You aim just the same as with the normal sight*, it's just that the longer distance between the sights helps to align the barrel with the point of aim.

*don't be surprised if you end up shooting low with a blob of blu-tack stuck up there on top of the silencer, I think the CP99 has a non-adjustable rear sight so you may then have to adjust your point of aim upwards. This may then cause a problem if the target disappears behind the end of the barrel, the big disadvantage of fixed sights.

Thanks JefL

The only adjustment the CP99 has is windage, which, if I have understand correctly, is just left and right. I shall get some blutack from work and have a play.
    I am a Lady
    AA S200 Mk3, Walther CP99, Soon to own a Webley Alecto

Quote Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
    Hi Clare, as you know I had a CP99, just sold mine on. You're right there is a definate stop on the trigger in single or double action. I have very large strong hands, not boasting just a fact, and I found the trigger really annoying. I tried the ideas for lubeing the mech but it made no real difference. I have a Gamo Compact and that has a much sweeter trigger action, I've also got an HW 45 .22 that has such a light trigger that I've had it fire at a target when I wasn't expecting it. Cookie will be able to correct me if I'm wrong but I think the sweetest trigger on a Co2 pistol at the moment is the Smith & Wesson 586. The 8" barrel is the most accurate/heaviest, the 6" barrel is the most balanced but also quite heavy, the 4" barrel is suprisingly light and quite accurate. You can try mine at the meet if you want. After that I would say the Colt 1911 is a really nice pistol but you need quite a firm grip to activate the grip safety. You are more than welcome to try the Gamo & HW45 if you wish. Try not to be put off by the CP99 it's a "fun" pistol more than a "target" pistol.

ATB

Paul
    Paul,

I am with you on the annoying trigger. It looks like I am going to have to save up for something with a smoother trigger action and that is a bit more accurate.

I'd be really interested in trying the Gammo and the HW45 - thank you. Now that I know a bit more about what I am looking for in a CO2 pistol I can continue to have fun with the CP99 whilst I try out other pistols until I find one that feels right for me.

I have tried Cookies S&W, but found it too heavy. But then again as time passes and I get in more practise I may have to try it again. I seem to be more accurate one handed rather than two and my arm does not ache as much. I have not tried shooting the S&W one handed.

I am very lucky that you and everyone else are so helpful and generous to let me try out your pistols. I think I am going to be rather over excited at the meet. Kiddie in a sweetie shop syndrome
    I am a Lady
    AA S200 Mk3, Walther CP99, Soon to own a Webley Alecto

We are all like kids in a sweet shop at the meet, the phrase for the day will be "can i have a go, Pleeeeeeeease!!"
    Fancy shooting your air pistols & rifles a bit more, then guy's & gal's come visit us at the
    UBC for loads of fun competitions for all types of air pistols and rifles.

Exclamation No way

Hi Doc
    OK points taken on board. Thanks for the correction.

NICK
    THERE IS NO WAY YOU ARE GOING TO CLAMP ANYTHING ROUND MY FORE..... OH.... sight.
    OK it might, most likely will, work but the Hurricane already has a shroud round the foresight.

Reards
    Jim D
    Globus magnus volvere
    trepidex mea non est!

The CP99 will never make a winning 10m pistol, its not made with that in mind. If you want to use it in competition as well as plinking then have a look at IPAS. Several competitors use them and achieve good results.

It is possible to have a CO2 pistol tuned to smooth out the trigger action, improve gas flow etc. but there are more suitable pistols for IPAS than the CP99.

If you fancy a fully tuned 'race gun' then Steve Taylor is producing a Custom Colt 1911A, fully tuned with the grip safety pinned. More details here.

Steve has used a similar pistol very effectively in competition and is generally considered to be the best CO2 Pistol tuner in the UK.