Thread: BSA rifle info.

BSA rifle info.

On my travels I came across this BSA underlever rifle today. On further research it appears to be a BSA Junior Improved model 'D'
    The markings on the rifle are:

IMPROVED MODEL D. THE BSA AIR RIFLE. THE BIRMINGHAM SMALL ARMS CO. LTD. ENGLAND. SOLE MANUFACTURERS.

Serial number on the trigger block : 37871
    Serial number under the barrel: 4437S
    Also under the barrel: RP(?) 479972
    Stock: 13 & 1/4"

On close inspection of a fired pellet (.177) there appears to be no rifling marks so smoothbore?
    Now the mystery bit. The rear peep sight. (I apologize for the quality of the photo. It was taken by my phone.)

Can anyone shed some light on this rifle?

ATB
    Ian
    Last edited by I. J.; 15-10-2009 at 09:42 PM.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

The trigger block no. is consistent with a Junior version of the Improved mod D and the sight is a no.12 peep. Not sure about the other numbers.

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Thank you. That sight is not one Ive seen in the flesh before.

ATB
    Ian

I thought I would be the only one awake that this time (NZ)! You are a dedicated lot.

I have a IMD Junior serial number 34566. The best way to tell if its a Junior is that it's very small, mine being 34 1/2" long overall with a 11 1/4" stock. The number under the barrel, back by the breech is likely to be the none which corresponds with the number on the end of the loading tap. You would need to remove it to see this.

Retro fit

... possibly a custom ask when purchased new ? Would have expected to see it on the wood and not the steel though ......we love airgun puzzles
    " WHEN YOU'RE GOING TO SHOOT - SHOOT , DON'T TALK ! "

Quote Originally Posted by Arch.Stanton? View Post
    ... possibly a custom ask when purchased new ? Would have expected to see it on the wood and not the steel though ......we love airgun puzzles
    The no. 12 sight was an optional extra on purchase or could be retro-fitted.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

edbear2 Guest
    Hi mate.......I have a 39" imp mod D with the same sight (ex Josie and John).This also had the 13 1/4" stock size, although I have changed it to a 14 1/4" (standard length) straight stock.....These sights are not common, but there are quite a few guns out there with them, (it was quite an expensive option when new/retro fitted).......I believe the shorter stocks were preferred for prone shooting, and also, on the 4 guns that I have personally seen with this sight variation, all have had the shorter stock fitted as well!......maybe because it lets you get closer to the aperture

My one (with longer stock to suit me).......this was the one I shot at the rivi F.T. earlier this year..Ian......you obviously were not paying attention to the back of the gun......as you told me off for resting the muzzle on my foot!..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3122848...7607860743867/

P.S.

Great link with other variations of BSA sights often seen on older guns.......

http://www.rifleman.org.uk/BSA_sight...ccessories.htm
    Last edited by edbear2; 16-10-2009 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Give I.J. some stick!!

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    My one (with longer stock to suit me).......this was the one I shot at the rivi F.T. earlier this year..Ian......you obviously were not paying attention to the back of the gun......as you told me off for resting the muzzle on my foot!..

Oh, I dont mind you shooting yourself in the foot its just the paperwork afterwards that I detest! Also I like the sight of blood as much as I like the sight of half a maggot in the apple I'm eating.
    My mind was distracted on that day because I knew I would have to touch an Hungarian Swamp Donkey.

Anybody any ideas why it was smoothbore? Am I correct for thinking this is for oversea markets and different legislations?

ATB
    Ian

Hi Ian,
    I suspect you may have a Light Pattern rather than a Junior due to the Stock length. Is the overall length 39 or 34" long? If a tad over 39", its a Light and if 34", you have the rarer Junior. The peepsight makes yours a desireable rifle nonetheless. Do you use her?

Regards,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Hi Ian,
    I suspect you may have a Light Pattern rather than a Junior due to the Stock length. Is the overall length 39 or 34" long? If a tad over 39", its a Light and if 34", you have the rarer Junior. The peepsight makes yours a desireable rifle nonetheless. Do you use her?

Regards,
    John
    Hi John,

Its not my rifle and I dont have it here to measure. Compared to a Light ('L' serial prefix) on the day the actions looked very similar in length. What threw me, until I got home and did some research, was the 'IMPROVED MODEL D' on the cylinder. I cant remember seeing that type of peep sight before but obviously Ed refreshed my memory.
    I will see if I can borrow the above rifle for our classic event on 1st Nov and will take some proper photos and measurements.

As been stated before - quite a few times EVERY DAY IS A SCHOOL DAY.

ATB
    Ian

Hi,
    I think the cylinder length on the juniors is the same as the light patterns. Bsa carbined the light pattern. Its just the barrel and stock that are shorter.

Cheers
    Last edited by silva; 17-10-2009 at 09:05 AM.
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."