Thread: Can I do this?

Paul55 is offline I get by with a little help from my friends

Can I do this?

I'm a little confused over this. When I'm shooting the comps, 6yd & 10mtr, I know I'm not allowed to rest the pistol, But can I rest the barrel of my Smith 8" on my forearm or even hold the barrel?

Paul
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55
    Been there, bought it, tried it, sold it

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    YES, when a 2-hand hold is permitted. NO, in the 1-hand phase.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
    I'm a little confused over this. When I'm shooting the comps, 6yd & 10mtr, I know I'm not allowed to rest the pistol, But can I rest the barrel of my Smith 8" on my forearm or even hold the barrel?

Paul

Hi Paul, just my two cents worth
    I'm not sure if resting the pistol on your forearm is a 'two-handed' grip. Is it comfortable?

Holding the barrel would be 'two-handed', but a bad habit to get into. If you ever got to shoot a cartridge pistol the cylinder bast could be painful to you.

Try the 'Weaver' stance.

Check out the web or Youtube

Good luck, Phil

Hi Phil, it's suprisingly comfortable when you are trying to hold up an 8" barrel

Paul
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55

it's suprisingly comfortable when you are trying to hold up an 8"

'nuff said

Good luck, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil G View Post
    Hi Paul, just my two cents worth
    I'm not sure if resting the pistol on your forearm is a 'two-handed' grip. Is it comfortable?

Holding the barrel would be 'two-handed', but a bad habit to get into. If you ever got to shoot a cartridge pistol the cylinder bast could be painful to you.

Try the 'Weaver' stance.

Check out the web or Youtube

Good luck, Phil

Very true about the cartridge pistol!

What could be even worse - and something you are more likely to encounter as a UK shooter: I was just a few minutes ago reading an article warning against placing the supporting hand forward of the cylinder of a percussion revolver equipped with a shoulder stock.

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

BeerJam is offline Loser of the 2011 'Barn Door Trophy'.
    Headley, Hampshire (behind the graveyard!)
    Hi all,

My only comment would be that; I thought all shots were to be taken with the pistol held at arms length. I don't see how that could be achieved with the barrel resting on the forearm

I might just be misunderstanding the usage of the term 'at arms length'

Cheers, Mark
    Proud to be a member of; MVAC and Countryside Alliance
    "...... I'm good with the science, but rubbish with the gun "

Paul

Hi Paul.

As I see it. You are actually resting the pistol on the forearm, which in the >Rules< states you can't.

Holding the barrel would class as two handed. However considering the pistol has to be at arms length I can't see it as being comfortable.

So in conclusion it may be better trying the weaver stance that Phil G linked you.

Regards
    Paddy.
    BE-HAPPY-OK

Quote Originally Posted by Pad. E View Post
    Hi Paul.

As I see it. You are actually resting the pistol on the forearm, which in the >Rules< states you can't.

Holding the barrel would class as two handed. However considering the pistol has to be at arms length I can't see it as being comfortable.

So in conclusion it may be better trying the weaver stance that Phil G linked you.

Regards
    Paddy.
    OK, I'll retract my "it's OK for 2-handed phase" comment, as applied to the Bullseye comps.

I don't see that it'd be a problems with Police, though.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    OK, I'll retract my "it's OK for 2-handed phase" comment, as applied to the Bullseye comps.

I don't see that it'd be a problems with Police, though.

Jim
    Hi Jim.

Thanks, didn't mean to over rule you by the way.

Regards
    Paddy.
    BE-HAPPY-OK

So if I've read all your comments correctly, it is not allowed some of the time and is allowed some of the time

Paul

I suppose we could talk about this at the meet
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55

So if I've read all your comments correctly, it is not allowed some of the time and is allowed some of the time

Paul

I suppose we could talk about this at the meet
    Hi Paul.

As rules for 6yd/10m

The pistol must be at arms length & not rested.

So imagine you are in that postition & envisage you trying hold the barrel or rest it on your forearm. It may not be viable.

As for Jims Police Pistol comp it dosn't state that & heis happy for you to try it your way.

Regards
    Paddy.
    BE-HAPPY-OK

Thanks Paddy, I thought that's what is must be, but the replies were getting a little confusing. I've had a look at the Weaver link as well, that could hold the answer.

Thanks

Paul
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55

Since the Bullseye (6 yards, 10 meters) rules specify "at arms length", the braced-on-forearm. or other-hand-gripping-barrel stance wouldn't qualify there.

In the absence of any specific rule to the contrary in the POLICE competition, it would qualify there. However, I would suggest a conventional 2-hand stance (Weaver, isosceles, etc.)

Jim

Thanks Jim, as I mentioned I was looking at some articles on Weaver and isosceles and have been practicising the latter this evening, not shooting but getting the stance right.

I'm glad I asked the question now, what seemed to be quite straight forward wasn't, to me anyway.

Thanks to all of you for your input.

Paul
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55